ActiveMSers Forums  

Go Back   ActiveMSers Forums > ActiveMSers.org Forums > Gear

Old 10-10-2012, 04:26 PM
MS Warrior

Default AFO Devices - Any recommendations?

I'm kinda tired of tripping over nothing, so I'm going to get an AFO.

My PT suggested I research something called a "Blue Rocker." And that posterior AFO's are most common.

I'll most likely be limited somewhat by what insurance will cover, but I know nothing about them.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:14 PM

I started with the blue rocker and it's great for walking but I was having trouble running. So I contacted the company, Allard USA and they were wonderful. They sent me out a "toe-off" and that for me is much better. both the blue rocker and the toe-off are carbonfiber with the strut on the front. I wouldn't be able to do 1/2 of what I do without them. I am kinda glad I have both, the bloue rocker is much more stable for when I am very tired or not having a good day. But most of the time I wear the toe-off. You can go on there website and look around. Also they are sponsoring this woman Beth to run 12 1/2 marathons this year. You can check out her facebook page " Get Back Up"
Old 10-18-2012, 12:00 AM
MS Warrior

I'd heard about Beth and have checked out her Facebook page. She's actually paralyzed from the knee down I believe and quite the inspiration!

I'm hoping an AFO will be beneficial especially on those days when I'm particularly wobbly.

Thank you for the info!
Old 10-23-2012, 11:18 AM

Default Blue Rocker is great

I've had a Allard Blue Rocker for a couple years and it's been great. Haven't had a single problem. It has made such a difference for me, I'm getting a matching pair soon.

sulgrifjewls, the Toe Off and the Blue Rocker look the same to me, what's the difference? Did you, or has anyone tried the Allard Ypsilon? I like the low profile but afraid I'd snap it!
Old 11-05-2012, 09:38 PM
MS Warrior

I had my cast made last week. I opted for a posterior style.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:10 PM

The blue rocker is much more stable but very stiff. The toe-off allows my ankle to move so if I am on uneven ground I have a harder time, but it is much easier to run with ( just not trail running) I went to NJ to meet with the Allard people I went with a broken toe-off, so they had an orthotist there to fit me. He first put a Ypsilon on me and had me walk around. It felt different, even lighter, but he stopped me and had me take it off. He said it won't work for you. Then he asked why I had foot drop and when I said MS. He said I should have know it usually doesn't work well for MS. Something to do with my knee hyperextending? I don't know I didn't even have a chance to try running.
Did you get the "noodle" with the posterior strut? I have one of those I bike with
Old 11-09-2012, 06:54 PM

I also have the blue rocker and I love it. I believe it has kept me walking longer than I would have without it. I even wear it in the house with houseslippers. The worst part for me was getting rid of all my shoes.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:38 PM
MS Warrior

Well, I ended up with a posterior leaf spring AFO! I hear these are pretty typical - been around forever. It's pretty unspectacular but comfortable, especially in a pair of running shoes I have already. I was advised to break it in for about a week, gradually increasing the length of time I wear it.

So, hopefully no more near face-plants in the cafeteria at work! (At least not for foot-drop.)
Old 02-06-2013, 11:57 AM

Default new to afo

has anyone used the step smart?
Old 12-31-2014, 12:09 PM
Dave @ ActiveMSers

I recently got some feedback from a fellow ActiveMSer on the Step-Smart. Recommended!
-Dave

http://www.step-smart.com/

Quote:
I often travel - just returned from Russia and Normandy - and am always on the look-out for a simple, easy-to-wear, and inconspicuous brace when my foot gets tired. I came across an excellent one called "Step-smart," designed by Ian Engelman (sp?) of Insightful Products. If you go on that website, (Insightfulproducts.com), look on testimonials and click on step-smart, you will see a man in a green shirt who has foot-drop and now can walk 18 holes of golf - no problem. I sent for this thing, and although I still wish it could be worn in more fashionable shoes and boots - which I don't believe it can - it definitely beats any other device I have seen on the market. I am not in any way a spokesman for this product, but would love to help other people with MS who, like myself, have been advised to wear ridiculously high, uncomfortable, rigid braces that are not half as effective.

Tags
afo ??