Tandem bikes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tandem bikes

So my significant other suggested a tandem bike in order to help me get out and enjoy the town and country. He heard that it helped people with movement disorders, such as Parkinson's, to assist with balance issues. Any ideas of good brands to look for????

Thanks!
    Joy
    fides quaerens intellectum

I've heard good things about tandem bikes. Of course the huge advantage is that when your legs conk out, you can rely on your partner to provide the needed steam to keep going until you recover.

When it comes to buying tandem bikes, it's just as complicated as buying a regular bike. Do you want a road tandem, hybrid tandem, or mountain tandem? I'd probably suggest a hybrid. They tend to be a little more sure footed than a road bike (better for sketchy balance) and it can go on mild dirt trails without being too heavy/overdone for straight pavement.

Other advice: I'd stick with a major manufacturer. Of course, the more you spend, the better the components and, typically, the lighter the bike (which makes a huge difference on big hills, not so much if you live in Kansas).

As for helping balance, I'm not so sure. Maybe, but my MS PT expert told me that you can train for balance all you want, but it's not going to make that much difference.

The other option is to look at trikes--three wheeled bicycles. That's probably next on my bike radar. Good luck!
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Comment

Working...
    X