ActiveMSers Forums  

Go Back   ActiveMSers Forums > ActiveMSers.org Forums > MS Fitness

Old 06-19-2017, 09:39 PM
MS Yoda

Marina, did you get wet?

Made it all the way up Squaw pass last week, the altitude started getting to me about 10,500 but not so bad I couldn't keep going. Got 4,000 ft and 37 miles.

Tried to do Loveland pass or at least to the base of it. Winds were horrific, nothing like pedaling uphill into a headwind! They weren't consistent either, occasional gusts from the side moved the bike a couple of feet. Gave it up after 18 miles. The trip back down was sure fast. 36 miles and 2500 ft.

Keep it up all,

Larry
Old 06-20-2017, 09:40 AM

Default Adapt!

Ok, change of plans! My partner for grand canyon traverse had to drop out so I'm doing what we MSers do best - adapt! I'm hitting the Colorado Trail solo for a few weeks!

I started the Continental Divide Trail in sections 14 years ago when I was diagnosed - my husband was my partner but after a heart attack he decided that hiking the really high mountains isn't his thing. The CDT can be a tough, lonely trail so I haven't made a ton of progress in the past few years.

Now my daughter is gone for the summer working on trails in Oregon, we just had to put our dog down, and both kids will be leaving for college in mid-August. I will also start a new gig with a legal aid organization in August, so I have a magical month of no one needing anything from me... except me!

I think I'm going from gold hill trailhead near Breckenridge down to Salida. Lots o planning over the next few weeks! I'm so happy!!
Old 06-24-2017, 04:05 PM
MS Gladiator

Hello all,

First of all, thank you all so much for your kind words and well wishes. It is enormously helpful. Training is different these days. I have to focus on recovery so I look at all activities as part of my rehab. The schedule is full. Home physio 2xweek, robot walker and FES bike 2xweek (more on that later), swim 4xweek and most recently weekly acupuncture/Chinese massage. I am also concentrating on basic functional moves namely sit to stand and getting out of bed with minimal assistance. It is all coming along slowly. After a recent swim, I walked with my sticks a short distance. Strength is returning and I can see increased muscle mass. Still a road ahead but it feels hopeful.

I am incredibly lucky to have access to this clinic. A first here in Quebec. The G-eo robot walker is life changing. A true gait trainer. I walk for 30 minutes, sometimes with electrical stimulation. It has an option to increase resistance or climb stairs. I am strung up in a sling, much like a jolly jumper, feet in shoes attached to the mechanism that propels you. There is a mirror in front of you so that you can correct your positioning. As well, a physiotherapist is guiding you along with constant feedback. Truly amazing. Now I'm up to 1200 steps and 300 stairs. Then it's off to the bike for 30 minutes with electrodes on the main muscle groups. For both the robot and the bike, the intensity of the electrical stim can be increased. I especially feel core strength increasing. Here is a link to the clinic.
http://neuro-concept.ca/en/technologies/g-eo-system/

I remain cautiously optimistic that I will come out new and improved.

Amazing feats of excellence by you all. I remain continually inspired.

Take good care,

Teena Marie
Old 06-26-2017, 10:48 AM
MS Gladiator

TM, I'm so happy that you have a state of the art rehab center! I feel like you have been sent on a pioneer FES mission and you will come back, stronger and report to us how it all works. I'm sorry it took a health crisis to get you there, but I'm extremely excited for you to have access to all the equipment. Have faith in your body's ability to get stronger. I'm sending you positive thoughts and prayers. Suebee