The value of a Physical Therapist whose speciality is MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The value of a Physical Therapist whose speciality is MS

I've been seeing my PT basically since I was diagnosed in late 2004. He is an MS expert, having worked with my neurologist, and then branching out to his own practice and now teaching PT at Hunter College where he is also heavily involved in MS research. At this point, I see him about once every 5 weeks....completely my call when I feel I need to get his input on a specific issue, but also as a good " How am I doing?" from the body mechanics aspect. It has all been invaluable to me....with his direction, I have gotten exercises so immersed into my daily routine; exercises that have been so precisely developed for me to address a particular problem area. One area that we have started to address in the past two months, is the disparity between how far I can cycle and how far I CANNOT walk. I can ride for 30 miles, but can only walk two city blocks without feeling motor fatigue. So, we have embarked on a venture to give me back some of my walking ability through a rigorous walking protocol. I purchased a tredmill when he suggested I use one and I knew that I wouldn't get to a gym regularly, and if I did, by the time I walked to the tredmill, I would have used up all my leg power before even starting on the tredmill. Best purchase ever..... my walking routine started with going at a comfortable pace...no need for speed, and making sure I keep good form, no scuffing, or knee slamming back. It started at a 5 minute interval walking, then rest and stretch 5 minutes, back on 5, off 5...and to complete 4 sets. I did this 3x a week. This progressed after three weeks to 6 minutes on, 4 minutes off, for 4 sets. At the end of each set, I increase the speed for about 10-15 seconds to a speed that is almost at my max ...just to remind my legs how to move that fast.... Then he has me do monthly what he calls a "Collapse Point Walk" and asks me to walk continually as long as I possibly can until fatigue and /or uncorrectable bad form takes over, and record the time and distance. He has evaluated this, and has given me a goal distance to work toward of 1.6 miles nonstop walking in 6 months. As shocking as it was to hear him give me this goal, ( these days that seems like SUCH a long distance...)I know I can accomplish this with this training.

We have also been working on my core, as I told him I couldn't even make the connect to do a plank, even modified. My brain and body just didn't know what to do to get started. With specific instructions from him on how to place my body, I was able to start doing modified side planks and while I still have a long way to go to do one fully extended, he hooted with delight when I showed him today how I have made the connection and now can at least crank out a good 10 modified exercises.

All this to make the point that a knowledgeable PT can so help us MSers. If I tell him I can't do something, he says that means I need to do MORE of it, and devises a way for me to start...modifying the movement I want to accomplish into small, doable exercises, and building on this as I gain strength or even just nerve/muscle connection. There certainly are areas that, by the nature of this disease, are probably unattainable for me, but his skill has helped me to see how quickly I can turn weakness into some degree of strength.

There have been times in the past few years when I have had an injury of some sort or another, and he has strongly encouraged me to seek the care of a PT whose speciality is Orthopedics to address these issues. So important to have the right professional for the problem at hand.....
    Be thankful. Dream Big. Never Give Up.

Hi Veronica!

I completely agree with you. In my case I visited a PT to help with my gait, backaches and neck/shoulder stiffness. Pretty generic physio requests. My doctor referred me to a rehab centre with MS knowledgeable PTs. It was this MS knowledge that took me down a path to also improving my overall fitness. My PT (Cheryl) introduced me to utilizing walking sticks to improve my posture allowing me to walk much further and decrease the risk of falling associated with fatigue. She was also involved in research through the university/hospital and helped publish an MS exercise DVD for all abilities. So her focus went beyond my specific issues to improving overall fitness. In my case rather then a treadmill she introduced me to a MOTOmed which is used for "passive, motor-assisted, or active resistive training". This device has been excellent in improving my cardio fitness and decreasing leg stiffness regardless of how I'm feeling on any particular day. (On a side note I read my medical benefits plan and found a clause that allowed me to submit the MOTOmed for reimbursement and it was approved ).

While I am unable to continue utilizing Cheryl as she works in a rehab centre, her MS knowledge provided me with the knowledge and tools needed to help maintain my existing abilities and improve my overall health.

"the only difference between a happy ending and a sad ending is where you decide the story ends."
    — Andrew Kaufman

Comment

Working...
    X