Triathlon transition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triathlon transition

Hi everyone, I'm a 47 yo guy from the UK, I've had RRMS for 9 years. I've decided to enter a team sprint triathlon and am doing the cycling leg. I'm concerned about the transition as normally when I get off the bike I can't walk. Has anyone got any tips to help with this as I expect I will need to walk 100 metres to the transition area. I am hoping that it is just a question of getting stronger and practise but an advice on exercises or stretching would be great.

Thanks

Jim

Congratulations on your plans. I've done team triathalons-I'm the swimmer-and I let the officials know my situation. Perhaps they can make some suggestions about how to facilitate the transition. What about cooling options-either during your cycle or at the arrival. What about some forearm crutches to get you to the transition? Perhaps you could be granted permission to have a helper walk you. There was recently a story about a young runner who'd collapse into her coach's arns at the end of a race.

Why not join us on MSers in training?

I'm sure you'll succeed in finding a solution. Keep us posted.

Take good care,

Teena Marie

Comment

A Hot Blond Yoga Chick!

My suggestion - A Hot Blond Yoga Chick! Works for me on my bike rides.

Comment

Jim, Black Diamond just sent me a sample of their ultra distance Z-Pole trekking poles. They have a rapid deployment system and are lightweight carbon fiber. You can expand them in literally about a second per pole, unbelievably fast and easy--check out the video link. And they are under 300 grams per pair (10.4 ounces), so that's not too much added weight for your cycling portion. While they won't provide as much support as forearm crutches, they might give you the support you need to make those last 100 meters.

http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en/..._Blue#start=14
        Dave Bexfield
        ActiveMSers

Comment

I use forearm crutches. Not really sure how to explain it but it is hard for me to switch from one activity to another. I always have someone walk next to me. You are allowed have a " handler" to walk next to you, in US triathlons anyway. Usually my handler will tell me I know exactly when you were back!
          Jill

Comment

Jim, you actually can use forearm crutches. And it's not a crazy idea. I just met a scientist who is developing a pair that folds up and deploys quickly, perfect for your situation. I'm staring at a pair right now, and they are super cool. Let me know if you have any interest and I'll connect you. You might be a perfect trial case.
            Dave Bexfield
            ActiveMSers

Comment

Triathlon transition

James- I have completed numerous triathlons from sprint distance to Ironman races. A well known stategy to flush the lactic out of your legs is to spin an easy gear for high cadence prior to entering transition. Also, stretch your calves before dismounting the bike.
              Good Luck!

Comment

Thanks for the tip, Nevin! That might also help for anyone getting off of their bike after a long ride.
                Dave Bexfield
                ActiveMSers

Comment

I know I'm a few months late to the party on this one, but transitions are tricky for me too. Thought I'd share a couple things that work for me.

T1- the first few steps out of the water are the hardest for me. Balance just sucks at this point. The last 300m or so of the swim, focus on increasing your kick to get your legs to "wake up" again and get some blood flowing into them. Use the volunteers to help pull you out of the water, and walk the first few meters. If you're in a wetsuit, practice getting out of it a few times before the race and use the strippers if they have them (wetsuit strippers, that is).

T2- Like Nevin says, spin your legs out the last half mile or so. Stand up on the pedals, stretch your back. And make sure you just pound water and electrolytes during the whole ride so you don't cramp up when you dismount. The last thing any of us need is to deal with muscle cramps on top of everything else. In T2, I just sit down to put on my running shoes.

Overall, the more you do this stuff, the easier it gets. So just make sure you incorporate a few workouts where you are doing transitions, especially bike to run, so your legs get used to the feeling.

One more thing that I find happens to me every race - interested if others have this happen too. The last 3-400 meters of the race - coming into the finishing chute - are really, really challenging for me. If I don't focus 100% on not biting it, I will face plant. It's like my body knows it's almost done, so the wheels want to come off (foot drop, numbness, vision).

Comment

Working...
                  X