THESIS: "Exercise enhances ... the formation of myelin" in MS patients

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THESIS: "Exercise enhances ... the formation of myelin" in MS patients

This is a just released doctoral thesis, and a darn interesting one based on the abstract. - D

The Cellular and Molecular Response of Oligodendroglia to Physical Exercise following Demyelination

Advisor
    Yong, Voon Wee
    Author
    Jensen, Samuel
    Committee Member
    Pittman, Quentin
    Teskey, Cam

Issued
    2018-05-03

Abstract
    While the efficacy of exercise in the management of cardiovascular, lipid, glycemic, and other systemic disorders has been well documented and long studied, the beneficial effect of exercise on the central nervous system (CNS) has only recently gained substantial support from the literature.

Exercise has been shown to initiate pleiotropic mechanisms that increase the functional acuity of many aspects of the CNS, protect against future pathology, and possibly reverse existing disability. While there has been significant study of the effect of exercise on the pathophysiology of neurodegenerative disorders and on general CNS well-being, there has been only limited study of exercise in demyelinating disorders, such as multiple sclerosis (MS), particularly with regard to whether exercise promotes reparative processes.

In this thesis I investigate the effect of exercise on the regeneration of myelin in the lysolecithin model of focal demyelination. I show that exercise enhances oligodendrogenesis and the formation of myelin, substantially accelerating the remyelination process. I show that the activation of a transcriptional coactivation, peroxisome-proliferator activated receptor gamma coactivation 1 alpha (PGC1a), is enhanced by exercise and required for the acceleration of myelin thickening.

I then show that exercise works in combination with clemastine, resulting in functionally complete remyelination of lysolecithin lesions. Moreover, the combination treatment preserves axons. Thus, exercise should have considerable clinical utility in disorders where demyelination is present. Finally, I detail a novel technique for visualizing oligodendrocytes in three-dimensions.

Faculty
    Cumming School of Medicine
    Institution
    University of Calgary
    Doi
    http://dx.doi.org/10.5072/PRISM/31894

Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

I will continue to chant genesis of neurons and oligodendrocytes motivation required

Its good to see confirmation of what I suspected. When my motivation is running dry I remind myself that I must spur genesis of neurons and oligodendrocytes and I'm glad to hear I'm not lying to myself.

Comment

Working...
    X