Kayaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayaking

Boyfriend introduced me to kayaking and I love it!

He is also a kayak instructor and expressed interest in teaching MSers and others with disability, and he was asking about what considerations are needed? Any kayakers out there using modified equipment? for myself just fatigue (keep it to shorter trips) and a bit of trouble with grip left hand (at least that's the excuse I'm going with that I need a lightweight carbon paddle). Would those interested prefer a separate class or be included (with adaptation) into regular class? He wants to make a proposal to the pool where he teaches, any feedback appreciated!
    Cheers
    Karen
    Attached Files
    Callenge life before life challenges you - from inside collar of my "Bike Off More Than You Chew" bike jersey

Karen, I used to love to kayak. I did not use any accommodations. But 2 trips which proved too much for me were : 1) sea kayaking where I had to paddle Against the surf to get into an outlet; and kayaking in a body of water with a current and boats. My weak side made it impossible to
    Go straight and the wakes from Boats were too hard to correct for.
    Accommodations i suggest are Energy Conservation - don't allow msers to unload gear and or carry/ pull kayak to water's edge. Why use energy in beginning.? Maybe use Tandem kayaks pairing msers with a stronger partner, especially if current or upper body weakness issue. Heat awareness: wet wicking shirts to keep body cool. And definitely have assistants to help exiting the water and carrying gear. I always felt subpar that I was struggling as all my companions walked onto beach. Also, you may want to consider giving participants life guard type whistles. They are inexpensive and loud. I carry one with me after having fatigued dramatically several times while doing water
    Sports. It gives me assurance that I could call for help if I suddenly needed it. Good luck, it sounds like a lot of fun!

Comment

Great feedback Sue!

We are located on the prairies; rivers and lakes so no coastal or tides, just wind and choppy conditions. There is a wide slow moving river just outside city that is perfect beginner flat water. There is some amazing lakes 2 hr drive.

We are going to look at a used Current Designs Libra tandem as we were thinking the same thing about teaming up, and even for me a longer or multi day trip seems more within reach than attempting in my single. Just worried about transporting such a big beast of a boat!

Bf has guided before and has towed a few, so I know he can get me out trouble if I get too fatigued.

Cheers
      Karen
      Callenge life before life challenges you - from inside collar of my "Bike Off More Than You Chew" bike jersey

Comment

I LIKE that we have a Kayak link now! While I didn’t get any time on the water this season due to shoulder issues, I consider myself a paddler ( beginner) for sure. Some of the adjustments that I have needed have involved the foot peg. I am 5 foot, and on some of the boats I have used, we needed to find a way to shorten this up enough so that my right ( weaker) knee did not hyperextend, sometimes needing to improvise to get it right. Also my seating comfort: my friend who I paddle with is also an expert, and he had lots of foam padding that we used behind my back so that I was in the right position. My core strength is very uneven from left to right, and this padding really made the difference of having a trip where I ended up hunching over versus being upright and in better form, control and comfort. Sometimes I was able to use a paddle as a walking aid which made me feel that I was at least carrying some of the equipment. I agree that tandems are great, and when I paddled solo, at times I used a sit-on top which was so nice for entry and exit. AND, if I capsized I could do a self rescue so to speak and not have to practice roll overs. And yes, I agree with Suebee, gotta have assists to get out ….my legs are usually not very helpful after awhile. My friend is able to carry the tandem on his vehicle…….but I have to say it is quite a sight! This sounds like a great idea to me to offer adaptive classes. I guess it would depend on the individual if they wanted a class with able bodied folks or something totally geared to adaptive.
        Be thankful. Dream Big. Never Give Up.

Comment

Yup getting out is challenging! First time trying to get out I didn't realize how numb my left leg had become, ended up butt first In the water, luckily shallow, but still enough to get soaked, didn't have the forethought to bring a change of clothes, had to sit on towel for the car ride home LOL. But the scenery and serenity and wildlife made it all worthwhile....have seen deer, ducks, geese, blue heron, beaver, muskrat, Hawks, and even a bald eagle.

Comment

Working...
          X