ActiveMSers Forums  

Go Back   ActiveMSers Forums > ActiveMSers.org Forums > MS Fitness

Old 02-27-2017, 12:50 AM
MS Gladiator

Default FDA approved new FES device

NEW FES Device gets FDA approval. Bioness’ L300 Go System electrical-stimulation rehabilitation device for multiple sclerosis (MS) patients and others with walking impairment. Initially, the system will be available only at medical facilities. Home availability is targeted for late 2017. excerpt from: https://multiplesclerosisnewstoday.c...r-ms-patients/

PRess Release says "Multi-channel stimulation is an additional noteworthy L300 Go feature that allows clinicians to precisely control the amount of dorsiflexion and inversion/eversion the system provides. Using a new, proprietary electrode, medial and lateral stimulation can be adjusted independently. This more efficient fitting process saves valuable time and facilitates more productive therapy sessions. excerpt From: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300402927.html

I guess, proof will be in the pudding on this device...it sounds like a more efficient biones that is already out there which is restricted to foot drop candidates.
(My foot only drops when fatigued or to just a small degree as evidenced by worn sole & soul .)
Old 03-06-2017, 01:40 AM
MS Gladiator

Default FES pulsewidth and frequency

Here is a good start for understanding what FES is used in trials.....
Pre-print medical article described the protocol for FES training of non-ambulatory MS patients based on prior trials:

"FES Cycle Training Protocol
Participants trained three times a week for 4 weeks, for a total of 12 sessions. Four weeks
was chosen based on the assumption that this was long enough to test safety of FES cycling, and that if the participant had the capacity for any change in performance or function, this should be evident in this period of time. This duration was not expected to elicit the greatest change possible,but information would be useful for future, larger-scale studies. The stimulation parameters for this study were predetermined based on previous studies of FES cycling among people with complete SCI and were set at: pulse width of 200 µs21
and frequency of 50 Hz.22 We used
surface electrodes to stimulate the participants’ quadriceps, hamstrings, and gluteal muscles. The
stimulation intensity (mA) varied based on the participant’s tolerance and the amount of
stimulation required to achieve the target cycling speed of 35–50 rpm.
Each session began with a 2-minute warm-up of passive cycling at 35 rpm (no voluntary
cycling or electrical stimulation). During this phase the motor of the ergometer propelled the
pedals. This passive phase was followed by a 30-minute active (voluntary or assisted with
electrical stimulation) phase, during which the electrical stimulation ramped on to stimulate the muscles to assist active cycling. The session then ended with a 2-minute cool-down of passive cycling."

from article at http://ijmsc.org/doi/pdf/10.7224/1537-2073.2015-036
Old 03-06-2017, 02:06 AM
MS Gladiator

Default FES from Athletic rehab perspective

A 2014 Sports Medicine article gives general overview of benefits to body for FES training combined with exercise and surveys around 12 medical articles and lists the FES pulse width and frequency used for strengthening muscle groups by exercise.

Chart in article found at Table 2. Gives
"Characteristics of the stimulation programmes frequently used for functional electrical stimulation during different exercises
(strengthening, cycling, rowing)"
[I couldn't figure out how to insert picture of chart so if interested follow link https://www.researchgate.net/publica..._in_Paraplegia ]
Old 03-06-2017, 03:30 PM
MS Yoda

NICE FIND SUEBEE!!! Those articles answered a lot of my questions. I am more convinced than ever concerning the potential fes has for MS patients.

It appears fes does target all muscle types, fast twitch and slow twitch and it does it by direct stimulation as opposed to chemical reaction. Also interesting that the by products of fes are probably the same as the chemical reaction and need to be cleared by the cardiovascular system efficiently to prevent or delay muscle fatigue. Fes is definitely on my radar now and I will keep an eye out for opportunities.

Thanks Suebee
Old 04-05-2017, 05:15 PM

Default FES for muscle stimulation

Hi everyone!
I've been keeping up with the various postings on FES use in MS. I would love to have one of the cycles ( who wouldn't!) for home use, but the insurance company doesn't agree.

The facility that I frequent for PT has a cycle and I was able to give it a whirl. Unfortunately, this is not a place that I could visit and log the number of hours needed for benefit.

So, my PT said a TENS unit could be a good alternative!! I have a dual unit and was taught where to place my electrode patches, the correct mode and intensity. I have various home exercises with the unit, gym exercises, and the best part of all.... a way to reduce my spasticity and pain! Several good nights of sleep resulted from this gizmo

I do believe one of the postings had an article showing electrode placement to help aid constipation. Lots of uses, and worth asking your PT for information.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:15 PM
MS Gladiator

LMH,
Oh my gosh LMH, that is awesome! I begged three different PTs to help me to use a FES unit and no dice. I think liability reasons prevents and because there are little empirical evidence.
Dr. Wahls got a PT to help her and she adivises patients to get direction for PTs. So I guess it is hit or miss.

My core weakness is being particularly problematic rt now. I have gone back to work and I'm getting back and ab spasms (where ab six pack should be but isn't. I've tried tilting desk chair back. That is good to rest core, but one can't do much in reclined position, other than look like you are taking a break.

So, I was thinking about buying the ab belt that was the article I linked long ago and was evaluated by non involved drs and found to strengthen abs. the price for an experiment, though has stopped me from the purchase so far. I'll keep you posted....
Old 05-11-2017, 01:41 PM
Dave @ ActiveMSers

Here's a study on FES that just got published. - D

Effects of Functional Electrical Stimulation Cycling on the Physiological Functions, Walking Performance, and Body Composition of Persons with Severe Multiple Sclerosis
Irisa Myint, Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy
Session Number
Session 3C: 3rd Presentation
Advisor(s)
Lara Pilutti, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Abstract

Advanced MS patients experience severe ambulatory impairments and require specialized exercise equipment. One option is functional electrical stimulation (FES) cycling, which electrically stimulates leg muscles to elicit movement on the leg-ergometer.

Methods/Design: The randomized controlled trial recruited 11 people with severe MS (EDSS 6.0-6.5). Participants were randomized into either the FES cycling condition or the passive cycling condition in which electrical stimulation was not delivered, but the leg ergometer were controlled by a motor. The intervention was delivered 3 times/week for 12 weeks. Participants’ walking speed, endurance, and agility were assessed through mobility tests, and body composition was measured using dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry (DXA).

Results: Body composition remained stable over the 3-month period. The passive cycling group had a moderate increase in time taken to walk 25 feet and a moderate decrease in distance travelled during a 2-minute walk test. The passive cycling group had a moderate to large decrease in oxygen used during exercise (VO2), time to exhaustion, and work rate. The only significant difference for the FES group was a large increase in peak flexor strength. Small changes between baseline and final testing may be attributed to the small sample size (n=11) and short training period.

Tags
clinical trial, fes, multiple sclerosis, wahls