ActiveMSers Forums  

Go Back   ActiveMSers Forums > ActiveMSers.org Forums > MS Fitness

Old 03-18-2018, 05:25 PM
MS Yoda

Default Triple Bypass training

Did the first ride of my Triple Bypass training schedule yesterday. 40 miles, a little over 3 hours, pretty flat. Tried to keep my heart rate down, concentrate on cadence and pedal stroke. Didn't do very good on any of it! Oh well, the training has started, there's no where to go but up!

It's posted on Strava under the name amf adventures for anyone who's interested.

When I told my coach, the Bullet, that I wanted to stop with the weight training, she said "no way, at least once a week", otherwise she's in agreement with the schedule. She's not riding with me due to health issues, but I'm happy to have her on board in any capacity.

Keeping on keeping on.

Larry
Old 03-22-2018, 01:17 PM
MS Gladiator

Hi All

I have been MIA for a little bit because I have been sidelined. Long story short, I have a right side Labrum tear. Its small enough that I will try PT and some modifications to see if I can work through. I just found out today, so I am still in the self-pity stage, but I will be back with a new routine (I hope).
Old 03-29-2018, 05:15 PM
Dave @ ActiveMSers

So I haven't been on my bike for over a week and it's mega frustrating. I was traveling for a few days, but the real issue is that I injured myself exercising (again) like a dork.

I noticed my ribs catching/slipping on my right side while lifting. Most people would then stop doing that exercise. But I had already done the exact same exercise on my left and my brain couldn't comprehend that the two sides could be different. Now my chest hurts and I've got to rest, which suuucks. The I-haven't-been-exercising fatigue has been rolling in and I do not like it one bit.

While I'm on the mend, I hope to get inspiration from y'all...
Old 04-01-2018, 02:46 PM
MS Yoda

Bummer Marina and Dave, one of the hazards of being active I suppose. No one can accuse you of not trying. Hope you're back in form soon.

The last two weeks here have been great, in spite of a couple of snows. I managed a 26 mile ride with 2,500 feet of ascent last saturday in about 2.5 hrs. This Saturday I got 38 miles with 3,360 ft. in about 3.5 hours, which seemed to be pretty much my limit at the moment. That's ok, this is only the first of 4 training periods and I'm already 1/3 of the way to the Triple Bypass, 120 miles and 10,000 ft.! Next week will be intervals and skill set drills and then a recovery week before I start the 2nd training period.

I am also managing a weight workout about every 5 days. Light weights, lots of sets and lots of reps, and as few breaks as possible. Unfortunately, yoga has taken a bit of a back seat in favor of riding to accommodate snow storms.

On the recovery rides, I am noticing my speed rise slightly and my heart rate come down a bit. I also got my cadence back. My pedal stroke is still a little wonky and my strength and endurance are still coming back, but all in all, things are looking pretty good.

Hang in there guys and girls,

Larry
amf adventures - on strava
Old 04-03-2018, 10:27 AM
MS Gladiator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinadca View Post
Hi All

I have been MIA for a little bit because I have been sidelined. Long story short, I have a right side Labrum tear. Its small enough that I will try PT and some modifications to see if I can work through. I just found out today, so I am still in the self-pity stage, but I will be back with a new routine (I hope).
I thought I would share (people tell me that it will make me feel better so we shall see, I generally like to disappear) with a group of people who will understand the added layer to my sadness.

PT is progressing painfully (to me) slowly and at this point I can do about 30 minutes/6 miles on my bike. Going to that from my past level of activity is painful (and all my cardio avenues cause the same issues) at best. I worry that I have already been as fit as I will be and this worry is exacerbated by hugest worry with MS.

One of my biggest concerns is that MS will sideline me and stop me from doing what I want. So, in this case I am worried that I will never fully recover (or that I end up needing the surgery)...but even more then that I worry that if I ever do recover that my MS will "get" me.

There that does make me feel better to say it! Back to hiding for me.
Old 04-04-2018, 02:43 PM
MS Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinadca View Post
I thought I would share (people tell me that it will make me feel better so we shall see, I generally like to disappear) with a group of people who will understand the added layer to my sadness.

PT is progressing painfully (to me) slowly and at this point I can do about 30 minutes/6 miles on my bike. Going to that from my past level of activity is painful (and all my cardio avenues cause the same issues) at best. I worry that I have already been as fit as I will be and this worry is exacerbated by hugest worry with MS.

One of my biggest concerns is that MS will sideline me and stop me from doing what I want. So, in this case I am worried that I will never fully recover (or that I end up needing the surgery)...but even more then that I worry that if I ever do recover that my MS will "get" me.

There that does make me feel better to say it! Back to hiding for me.
I understand your frustration Marina, seems like not long ago I was in a similar situation. Sometimes we do need to take time for ourselves to concentrate on bringing ourself back to where we want to be. You certainly have my blessing, just know we'll be here for you if you need us. You are such a determined young woman, my guess is that you will be back in shape long before you might think.

Take care,
Larry
Old 04-04-2018, 04:30 PM
MS Warrior

Just jumping on here to also give you my support, Marina. Also been there with non MS related injuries as you know, and have had the same concerns. Speaking for myself, when I have such an injury I can get momentarily very frustrated as it feels like " Isn't having MS enough??".... If only this was so, right?? Agree with Larry, that you can rise from this, conquer it, and move on and upward. Might be a tough road, but it IS do-able....especially since you have been in such good shape, and so physically active and committed to your routine. That'll help you through this..... Sending the good vibes your way....
Old 04-05-2018, 07:05 PM
MS Gladiator

You go, girl. I have no doubt that this will pass.

Beaming you vibes and a big hug.

Teena Marie
Old 04-06-2018, 02:40 PM
MS Gladiator

Thanks Larry, Veronica, and Teena.

I am very lucky to have this great community to lean on when I need it.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:07 AM
Dave @ ActiveMSers

Marina, I'm right there with you. It's one thing to cope with MS, and another to deal with a slow-healing injury. But both? At the same time?! The nerve of my body!! Questions swirl, especially at night. Will I ever feel decent? I have to trust yes. But like you, the brain nags relentlessly when we are down.

Keep us posted and keep plodding. My ribs are slowly getting better, and I can ride my trike again without (much) pain, but I still have a ways to go. Frustrating doesn't begin to describe it....

Hugs, Marina, your bud,