No announcement yet.

MSers Training in 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kristen, congratulations on getting into the NYC Marathon! I was there to run it in 2012, but it was cancelled 2 days prior due to Hurricane Sandy. I was fortunate to go back again in 2013 as a spectator to cheer on my husband who ran it for the first time. It is an amazing city and a fabulous race to be a part of. You will LOVE it. I'm hoping to get to go back and run it some day!

Comment

Hi all,

Busy group. I've started working with a new trainer and ramped up the swimming. Now doing 10 lengths several times a week as well as a 20 length once a week and the other days shorter swims with lots of kicking hanging on to the the ladder alternating fast and slow. With the trainer, I'm back on the spin bike followed by strengthening and lastly stretching. It will soon be time for me to move to the outdoor pool where the water will be colder.

Stair climbing remains quite challenging. I find myself on the verge of discouragement but head it off at the pass.

Take care all,

Teena Marie

Comment

AF – Glad you joined us. And thanks for the compliment, it means more than you know. If you happen to come across a somewhat disheveled old guy wearing a “Horsey Hundred” jersey and riding a white on black Cervelo at the Santa Fe Century, give a shout, I’d love to say hi.

Pell – Good luck at the Horsey, may the wind be at your back!

And Diana – Good Lord, that’s nothing short of awesome. You seem to have real potential, what’s next?

I got 135 miles last week including a pretty good climb. Still feeling undertrained but, depending on the wind, I’m reasonably confident I can ride the 100 miles. Going dancing afterwards could be a problem though. TM and LW, my walking pole class starts later this month, I’m hoping it’ll be a launch point because I plan to spend more time with the walking after the end of June.

Cool Group, keep it up everyone,

Larry

Comment

You all continue to impress me. And AF PA welcome! Tomorrow I'm trying a trike for the first time, both a foot-powered tricycle and an arm-powered one. I think they are going to be newer than this one, though. And slightly less wooden. Wish me and my gimpy legs luck!

(And AMF, I look forward to testing in person your mental strengths in a week--you've been warned!)

Dave Bexfield
          ActiveMSers

Comment

I am going to do the Duke city 10k walk later this summer. Also will be doing a lot of hiking this summer. With my forearm crutches and enough rest the world is my oyster.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Paul View Post
              With my forearm crutches and enough rest the world is my oyster.
              Love it Paul!

Dave - Waiting with bated breath to hear your assessment of the trikes, seriously! Also, I will attempt to gain custody of the single remaining brain cell which my wife and I share in order to assuage your testing of my mental capacity, else, I will nominate her as my second.

Marina - How did your trike testing go?

Comment

Happy Friday everyone!

Friday has always been my "day off" day when training with Saturdays devoted to a long effort. Tomorrow I am looking forward to another outing with the new walking stick.

We did 3.5 hilly miles together last Saturday! There are some beautiful views here in the foothills, snow caps in the distance and birds everywhere during migration season.

Here's my new walking partner:
                http://komperdell.com/en/poles/trekk...id=176_2420_10
                I like the option of using the grip in either hiking pole fashion or more like a cane.

Sunday is recovery day which I will spend in the pool and doing an extended Tai Chi session.

I've walked 2 or 2.5 miles every day this week (Monday-Thursday) at work, sans walking stick which takes me about an hour. Makes for a good way to spend my lunch time.

...\O/...
                Liv__Well
                ..../\.......

My Two Numb Feet - An MS Diary

Comment

Santa Fe Century

Did a lovely ride of 40 miles today, with an additional 3 mile running. Looking forward to the Santa Fe Century next week.
                  I will never understand how the wind in Albuquerque will always blow whichever direction you are going in Hope everyone has a nice weekend outside.

Comment

The Brike

They call them Brikes. They are all 3 wheel hand crank cycles. A couple of models have power assist. They appear to be well designed, light weight, state of the art cycling machines. There is even a link to grants for disabled athletes. http://www.freedomryder.com/Superbike%20LC-1.htm

Went for a 60 mile ride yesterday, not exactly at the top of my game but hopefully that just means with a good taper, I will hit Santa Fe just right. Got passed by a guy on a hand crank bike while riding up a half mile long hill. Turned out he was a pro para Olympian, but in skiing, the trike was new for him. It was a custom made job out of Sweeden compliments of some para Olympic organization, obviously a very high end machine. He, and several other people who ride these machines, told me that being trained in their use was critical.

AF - PA Hope to see you in Santa fe, I'm sure you'll blow by me at some point, probably early on.

LW - Scenery like that would certainly be an incentive to get out. Super job on the walks, hope to catch up someday.

Comment

Hi all,

Nice looking brikes. Thanks for posting, Larry. I'm aiming towards a power assist trike.

Opened the outdoor pool and had my first glacial swim today. It's so amazing what I can do after. My walking is just so improved. I take advantage of it and did an errand at a busy crowded hardware store. The effect started wearing off and was I ever slow getting out, into the car and up the stairs into my place.

Take good care, all,

Teena Marie

Comment

Larry, looking forward to our dinner Friday. Slammed right now, but the trikes were amazing. Arguably the most fun I've had on a bike, maybe ever. I definitely have favorites and recommendations, but those will come when I come up for air.
                        Dave Bexfield
                        ActiveMSers

Comment

Originally posted by AMFADVENTURES View Post

Marina - How did your trike testing go?
                          I think it went well. I am the proud owner of a Catrike 700. I order it a bit over a week ago and they advised that it would take 3 weeks to arrive so I am still waiting.

I did tell Steve that if he didn't figure out a way to transport it on the car then he would be "driving" it home from the bike store!

Comment

Marina, loved the Catrike I tested! All three wheels were the same size. That bigger wheel looks like it is even more built for speed. Is that why you picked that particular model? I was not able to test that one and am trying to narrow down my choices. But it will be a tadpole like yours. It felt so great.
                            Dave Bexfield
                            ActiveMSers

Comment

Pell, How was the Horsey? Also, how's the gluten free diet going? I've been trying to pay a little more attention to the amount of gluten I eat, right now I don't see any way I could cut even most of it out!

Congrats on the Cat Trike Marina, can't wait to hear how it goes.

TM, your response to cold water really is interesting, good to see you've got your pool going.

Trying to taper for Santa Fe, not doing a very good job of it yet, seem to have a tendency to go too hard no matter how easy I try to take it. Sometimes it's just hard to take it easy. Still have a few days left though.

Keep on going,

Comment

Horsey coming up

The Horsey is Memorial Day weekend. We are still training and hoping Mike gets a bit stronger. It's looking like I will be on the single bike as Mike isn't sure he is up for a century.

Marina- Enjoy the Catrike- sounds fun.

AF PA- I hear you about the wind. We rode a 50 mile ride into the wind for all but 8 miles- How can that be???

Pell

Comment

Working...
                                X