MSers in Training 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am sorry its been so long! Busy times here

Its awesome to hear about everyone's activities. The swimmers particularly have my interest, I really wish I had learned to do it properly before I "came down with" MS. Now I cannot seem to coordinate my limbs to do the right thing and, unless I am doing the back stroke, I just fall about. So Kudos to you who are out there doing it. What a great exercise for people with MS!

On the biking front, after enjoying my first (very flat) century on the trike I have decided to take on more of a challenge. So I registered for the Indian Head 100 on Sep 7th. It is 100 miles wit 3k+ of climbing. This doesn't sound like a lot, but that first century have less the 1K of climbing and climbing is the thing I am least go at so this is going to be very challenging for me.

In general it has been been very hot (90+) and humid (80%+) here so I have been mostly inside on the trainer. A few months back I started doing the Sufferfest indoor training videos and hopefully this will help me suffer less on the climbs. Either that or add extra suffering to my indoor training!

Lets hope it cools off though! I am looking forward to reading all about what you all have been up to!

Comment

• Absent not idle

Love hearing about everyone's updates, good luck with the training Ellie - first long run 8 miles - WOW. And good luck with the climbing Marina - 3,000 ft. and 100 miles on a trike is no mean feat. Suebee, Surgery? TM, hope your training is fun and your swim goes well, can't wait to hear more about it. And Veronica, love the trike stories and glad you seem to have found your groove with the new wheels. Here's a little story back at you about what I've been up to.

I talked the Bullet into doing the Copper Triangle bike ride, 80 miles and 6,000 ft of ascent. She said she'd do it if I helped her train. We laid out some pretty detailed plans which mostly involved climbing in the foot hills which we subsequently did. Then about 10 days ago she asked me how we were going to close everything out in the last weeks, distance?, intervals?, ascent?, to which I said I'd have to think about it. At 4:00 the next morning I woke up with the answer. A couple hours later I sent her a text, "We're going to get HIGH baby, as high as we can, as often as we can!!!!!!"

Since then we've climbed over Squaw Pass down the other side and back for 50 miles and 5,800 ft with a maximum elevation of 11,100. We met our respective families for a picnic lunch at the top prior to our final descent and had a blast.

For our next high we climbed Loveland Pass up the east side, over the top and down the other side and back. That one was less than 50 miles but had 6,100 ft of climb and got us up to 12,000 ft. On our first summit the Bullet beat me to the top by about 10 minutes. Being the gregarious type, she started talking to the couple dozen or so tourists that are always hanging around there because it's an accessible spot marking the continental divide. As I got to within a couple hundred ft of the summit she began cheering me on - along with a number of the other visitors up there. It actually got quite raucous with many congratulations when I finally stopped at the summit. I have no idea what she told all those people.

The return summit was a little different. This time I was about 20 minutes behind her and when I got to the top I found her lying on her back in the dirt softly cursing my name while patiently waiting. Now for the bullet, cursing my name is something she does when the going gets tough and she needs a diversion. At the end of the day, it turned out that that little adventure really had tested her, and of course it thoroughly trashed me.

I decided for our next high we'd get as high as we could get and climb Mt. Evans. Mt. Evans is one of the Colorado 14'ers that has a paved road all the way to the top. We started at 10,600 ft. and decided, since she would undoubtedly be ahead of me, no matter how far we each got up the mountain I would turn around when she passed me on her descent. The Bullet being the Bullet made it all the way to the top at a little over 14,100 ft. A friend of mine later told me he had seen her climbing near the top and that he was a little shocked at how much she was cursing me. I took that as a very good sign. At any rate I made it to 13,600 ft. before she caught me on her descent. Although I only had about a mile and a half to go, I was perfectly happy to turn around and lead her down. Fact is, I can't breathe at those altitudes. The ride was relatively short at less than 30 miles and the ascent was slightly less than 4000 ft for her but boy did we ever get high.

Our final ride before the Copper Triangle will be Vail Pass itself. I expect it will be relatively easy for both of us. Although I'm not going to do the Copper myself this year I will be there to cheer the Bullet on, secure in the knowledge that she won't have any problem with it.

Larry
      pic. The Bullet and me on our first summit of Loveland Pass
      Attached Files
      Last edited by AMFADVENTURES; 07-24-2015, 06:30 PM.

Comment

• Hello all,

As usual, Larry, most impressive. You're pretty amazing.

The team triathlon was this past week. In the end, I didn't participate. My team was short a runner, and a host of other obstacles made it not meant to be. I was all right with the decision. I'm still doing some amazing swims. I'm still recovering from such a hectic winter and spring and still sleeping 8-10 hours a night. I will consider a beach to beach swim in August.

Take care all,

Teena Marie

Comment

• Thrilling story, Larry! Had me gasping for breath as I read it! You are truly King of the Mountains.....would send you a Polka Dot jersey if I had one. Seems like you have a wonderful camraderie with the Bullet.....I'm happy for you.. And you truly have inspired me to push myself more in my training.

Marina, you also have my great admiration with the miles you are doing, and planning to do with the Cat. Don't you love/hate those Sufferfest videos!!! I've been doing Fight Club alot recently, as it has both the speed and climbing elements that I so need. If it wasn't for the heat/humidity or rain factoring into when I have the opportunity to ride outside, I had planned to do a Mini Larry training session on a nearby incline....just keep taking it over and over.... Sufferfest helps me to not feel like a slacker when outside isn't possible, for sure!

Teena Marie: Glad that you are moving on from not doing the team swim. I agree with Marina when she talks about swimming with MS. I also was never a big swimmer (could side stroke across the ocean, I felt, but that was it...) Now when I am in the water, my right leg feels deboned, and I have very little control of it. Love to hear of your ocean swims. Sounds like you are really in the right place for your needed R&R.....

One little funny trike story. When I was on the return side of my regular trail ride recently, a walker, coming toward me, warned me of a tree down ahead. I honestly didn't know what he was referring to, as I had just come from there all of 30 minutes earlier. But sure enough up the trail a 1/4 mile was a tree...completely ACROSS the trail... Ugh, I thought , now what??? I clambered out of the trike, and very carefully was able to lift it, and then ME over the tree. Got one leg covered in chain grease, but no worse for the wear.....and I DID NOT fall over...shocking .... Felt like the "Good ol' days"..... Actually had me humming David Gray's "Back in the World Again" for the rest of the day......

Keep Calm and Keep Movin', everyone!!
          Be thankful. Dream Big. Never Give Up.

Comment

• You guys always have crazy stories. Love 'em. Me? I've been wedging in workouts between moving, family, etc. and I've been mostly successful. Even gotten in a ride on the trike on the quiet streets of our neighborhood after Laura managed to get it out of the garage loaded with boxes.

I've started scoping out fitness facilities near our new pad. Joined PowerFlex for free (through my health plan), which is less than a mile away. Other options that I may investigate (or may not)....

Black Box Fitness/CrossFit Caliente

Planet Fitness

Elevate: Performance, Health, Wellness
            Health Club

The Hit Fit Club

Ninja Park

Crossfit Assimilation

The New Fit

Abq Kickboxing & Luttrell's MMA

Functional Fury

Zero Point Parcour

Notice a theme? ABQ is pretty hardcore when it comes to working out. I didn't even list all of the nearby Ninja academies. Seriously. Ninja academies. Who knew?
            Dave Bexfield
            ActiveMSers

Comment

• Originally posted by ActiveMSers View Post
              You guys always have crazy stories. Love 'em. Me? I've been wedging in workouts between moving, family, etc. and I've been mostly successful. Even gotten in a ride on the trike on the quiet streets of our neighborhood after Laura managed to get it out of the garage loaded with boxes.

I've started scoping out fitness facilities near our new pad. Joined PowerFlex for free (through my health plan), which is less than a mile away. Other options that I may investigate (or may not)....

Black Box Fitness/CrossFit Caliente

Planet Fitness

Elevate: Performance, Health, Wellness
              Health Club

The Hit Fit Club

Ninja Park

Crossfit Assimilation

The New Fit

Abq Kickboxing & Luttrell's MMA

Functional Fury

Zero Point Parcour

Notice a theme? ABQ is pretty hardcore when it comes to working out. I didn't even list all of the nearby Ninja academies. Seriously. Ninja academies. Who knew?
              Cool! I lived in ABQ for 10yrs. I miss the mountains and the GREEN Chilie!! And Sadies, and Dion's pizza.

I was dx'd by Corey Ford over there at UNM in '04.

Just moved out there? YOu will love it. NM is a Great outdoors state. Make sure to take time out for the ABQ international balloon fiesta around the 1st week of October. Breathtaking to watch. Such a great event.

Comment

• New to group

Hi all,

New to this group but not new to MS. Dx'd in 2004 rrms. 100% mobile thankfully. My dmd has been working great. I was inspired by another MS'er who I met back in 2011 at a MS conference. She told me she has walked Half marathons and 50 mile events. I never knew they let you walk half marathons. So I trained on my own. I do a lot of walking at my job so the idea of training was just a matter of extra effort.

I completed my first half in 2012 at Disney. It was the biggest accomplishment I have ever done. After that I was hooked. Because every medal whether 5K or 20K is a win against MS! I recently also participated in the Savannah, GA 50 mile Challenge Walk. I walk because I am still able to and I walk for all my friends that cannot.

I am inspired by everyone who continues to stay active and fight. Keep fighting.

Comment

• Dave glad to hear that you were able to get the trike out and get active. I bet that it felt great to get moving (pun intended) again.

Colleen, welcome to the group! I too have RRMS. I was diagnosed August 2014. Just past my 1 year anniversary. I am training to run my second marathon post MS. I love running half marathons and well pretty much any race. Can't wait to hear more about your half marathons. I am in total agreement with you. That every medal that hangs upon my rack is me kicking MS @$$.

Comment

• Well I don't post very often but I try to get back ever week or so. I have been staying active. I am training for Marine Corps Marathon.
                    I have been struggling with my weekly runs but am still getting my long runs in. I am supposed to run 16 mile this weekend. I am also training for Nations Tri. The month of August has been a struggle be me. I don't know I just lost motivation. I did just past my first year of living with MS. I am not sure that it factors in at all with my lack of motivation. Last Sunday as a part of my training I ran a 20K race. It was rather warm but mostly shaded. (I find that direct sun zaps my energy quickly) I had to walk more that I liked but I crossed the finish line.
                    My motto is: MS Sucks I Don't Have To!
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Just wanted to pop in for a quick second, mostly to check and ask AMF if he will be riding this weekend at the New Mexico MS 150? I hope to see you out there!

Hello to Colleen, I think it's great that you are walking half marathons and a 50 miler! Impressive.

Ellie, good luck in your training for Marine Corp, I've always wanted to do that marathon. Hopefully someday! And for what it's worth, I have a hard time handling direct sun too. It can be overcast and hot and I can deal with exercising in that much easier than when the sun is hitting me. Very annoying.

Comment

• Hey Beth, regrets, Pedal Los Pueblos wasn't in the cards this year, sorry we'll miss you - and everyone else. However if you might be interested in the Tour de Tucson, we'd love to catch up with you there.

Also, congrats on your Coeur d'Alene finish, I can't begin to imagine what it must have taken to beat the heat that day.

We had grandkids for the entire summer so, although I was able to keep up with most of my cycling, I wasn't able to get to the gym at all. It made a noticeable difference in my muscular fatigue level on the bike, especially after the first 30 or 40 miles. I have only just gotten back into my pre-summer routines, yoga, core, weights and stairs and can already feel the difference. None too soon either since the Tour de Tucson is looming.

Love hearing everybody's updates. Dave, moving house should count for at least a years worth of exercise. It's truly a shame it doesn't work that way. Veronica, I have nightmares when I discover trees have fallen across the path I was just on.

Hope you're all doing well out there,
                        Larry

Comment

• Larry, we will miss you this weekend! I would love to do Tour de Tucson (my dad lives there so it would be easy to do), however, we can't fit it into the schedule this year. We will be in Tempe the weekend before to volunteer at Ironman Arizona so we can register to do the race in 2016. Surprisingly the 105 degree heat in Coeur d'Alene did not scare me away from future Ironmans! Hopefully Arizona in November of 2016 will be nice and cool compared to what I battled in Coeur d'Alene.
                          I am also looking at possibly doing the Boulder half Ironman in June next summer. I'll keep you posted, maybe you could cheer me on again!
                          By the way, grandkids for an entire summer sounds like a big workout to me.
                          Stay healthy,
                          Beth

Comment

• Made my day

Went for a little climb this morning, one of our regular hills, about 5 miles and 1500 ft. of ascent. There are also hiking trails on this mountain which cross the road at various points. As I was climbing, I came across two young women, maybe 18 or 20, coming up a trail aproaching one of the crossings. By way of warning I said good morning to which they turned and responded with their own "good morning". As I rode past one of them simply said "You're awsome!" Talk about make an old guys day, WOW!

Beth, yes, 3 grandkids without a parent for the entire summer borders on grand-parental abuse. Anything exciting happen at Pedal Los Pueblos?
                            Last edited by AMFADVENTURES; 09-02-2015, 05:10 PM.

Comment

• Sorry I have been away. There is just not enough hours in the day for everything we need to do and stay fit! The season of summer has come and gone. Thankfully we only had a few weeks of really bad heat here that interfered with my running.

I have taken a step back in training for the summer in order to enjoy it, but summer came and went. Last week was the re-start for my fall races. I did find a local running coach that is working with me. She is not familiar with MS but something for me is better than nothing. The monster has really not appeared as long as I listen to my body and watch the outdoor temps. I do feel the yoga and PiYo has really helped keep it at bay too. Has anyone else found a combination that works for them?

This September I am doing two 5K’s, a 10miler race, then in October it’s the Hartford CT Half and November id the Disney Half. I am hoping with all the training I will not have a bad Fall season and symptoms as I have had in the past. So happy to be kicking this things butt!

Mouse I did not end up getting a cooling vest. I looked at them and was not thrilled about it. Instead I purchased a mission cooling wrap from that has been awesome for me. I use it for anything over 60. It really does help keep my core cool.
                              Ellie awesome to hear about your bike ms and marathon! You are an inspiration too! I have a friend training for the MC Marathon also. It’s been hard here for non-ms’ers and the heat. Don’t be too hard on yourself. Have you tried just going out on a run to run, relax, not train? No watch, just you? I find that helps me when I lose my way. Get back to the second reason I started running. (The first was to learn to walk again) I have the same issues with direct sun running. Cloudy and 60 is a perfect day! We are strong and determined. We always get back on track, it’s what makes us unique!
                              Veronica it sounds like you come up to my area for your longer rides. I live right in the area of the HV Rail Trail. I ran the Walkway Half this past June.
                              Teena marie are you settled in better at your new place? How are the ocean swims going now. The water temps must feel good with the NE heat.
                              Suebee how is your recovery going? Are you able to get more activities in?
                              Larry I think all I can say is WOW! I biked 16 miles with the girls from one of my running groups and the next day I thought I would collapse. I had to take two days off before I could do my LSR.
                              Dave hope you are also settling in to ABQ.
                              Colleen Welcome for a fellow newbie. I was diagnosed in 2006. I have done two halfs so far and a handful of 5K’s. I will be running my first Disney race in November, the Wine and Dine Half. How is the course out there? I am told mainly flat. I am running for a local charity that provides meals for cancer families. I am running for those that can’t and very grateful that I can. I remember being first diagnosed and barley able to walk. Every day I can is a good day!

All in all, I am so impressed by all the cyclists stories I have read. I wish I could enjoy it that much. I hate my seat! I will try and check in more often and let you know how the training goes. I am trying for a 2:30 half so coach has me doing intervals. Last night was the first one which equaled no PiYo this morning.

Comment

• Sorry for being MIA for awhile but I have been reading (though not posting) about all of the awesome things you are all up to. You all amaze me

As for me, my ride was on Monday and I did it. 100 miles and almost 3500 of elevation in my trike. My average speed took a dive towards the end and it wasn't fast and it was not pretty, I wanted to give up many times but I kept going and I did it. Here is the ride from Strava : https://www.strava.com/activities/387361276 any of you using Strava, I would love to connect.

Comment

Working...
                                X