Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Purchased first new trike: a Catrike Pocket!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purchased first new trike: a Catrike Pocket!

After well over a year of debating and head scratching, I finally pulled the trigger and purchased a new trike: a Radio Flyer complete with streamers and chrome bell!!! Ah, kidding.

I purchased a Catrike Pocket, a trike I had initially dismissed because I expected that it would be too small for me. I was wrong. While the Pocket is designed for smaller riders, it fits taller riders (I'm 6 feet) and has a few key advantages for my particular situation. So here is my quick review of the Pocket with advantages and disadvantages.

Advantages

1) The Pocket fits in our small SUV. I didn't want to purchase a $35,000 trike (trike plus new car), and this one tucks in nicely to our current vehicle. If I can't tote it to trails, I won't ride it as often as I should, which defeats the whole purpose of buying a cycle.

2) The Pocket is light, only 33 lbs (easy to lift into the back of an SUV). It also is shorter and has a narrow width (easier to store another upright bicycle next to it).

3) Its turning radius is super tight, and it is nimble as all get out on the trail. It's cat quick, no pun intended.

4) This size means my wife Laura (5'8") can also ride the trike with ease. If we end up becoming a 2-trike family, she might ultimately be the primary Pocket rider.

5) The price, at just over $2K, is a screaming solid deal for all the high-end components that come standard with the trike. Is it cheap? No. But it is a great bang-for-the-buck option in the trike arena.

Disadvantages

1) This Catrike is quick, but not fast. I'll be relatively slow due to the short wheelbase and smaller wheels.

2) The Pocket is playful, great for short rides, which is what I purchased it for--my legs just won't go for long jaunts. This trike is NOT suited for long-distance touring.

3) My wife is going to want a trike and is going to start badgering me shortly.

My color is shiny mango! Mmm, mango. http://www.catrike.com/#!pocket/c1ap4
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Congrats on the trike Dave, I can't wait to hear the stories I know it's going to generate.

Larry

Comment

Congrads Dave! Welcome to the club

Comment

Thanks guys. I know I'm going to be slow, but I have a built-in advantage: I never rode a road bike. I would take a heavy mountain bike (27k+ lbs) on paved trails, as well as dirt. I'm used to being slow. I'm sure if I were a roadie, my feelings would be different.

Just got the bike in today, and may even take it out for a spin if time allows. This weekend for sure!
        Dave Bexfield
        ActiveMSers

Comment

SO thrilled for you.....I think you will love it. Waiting to hear the stories!!!
          Be thankful. Dream Big. Never Give Up.

Comment

Working...
          X