ActiveMSers Forums  

Go Back   ActiveMSers Forums > ActiveMSers.org Forums > General

Old 02-03-2018, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrayedknot View Post
Hi, My name is Andy. I'm 45 and live in Michigan. Work as an engineer in the automotive industry. Love walking my dog and giving flight instruction. I was diagnosed end of 2016. Lately, my cognitive is worsening and spasticity is starting. Was taking Tecfidera. MRI from Tuesday shows new enhancing lesions. Wednesday I was accepted to the Northwestern HSCT trial in Chicago. I'm starting the washout period for the next three months. Scared about stopping tecfidera. I'm learning allot about the pros and cons with HSCT on here. Having second thoughts.
Hi Andy,
I had just finished building a new autogyro when M.S. hit me. I got to only fly it once, then permanently grounded myself after that. Gosh I miss it. I've been on Avonex interferon since diagnosis and have responded well to it the last 17 years.

My gait is terrible, so I go around outside of my house in a power wheelchair. For every door that has closed for me because of my condition, I have found a new one to open. No, I can't fly, or sail or many other things I used to enjoy, but I have found new outlets for my engineering background (EE) so in a way, M.S. has actually enhanced my life considerably!

Welcome to the forum!
Linux geek, blogging at lnxgoat.com
M.S. since 2000
Old 02-04-2018, 03:24 PM

Thanks for the encouragement. Sorry you had to hang up your wings. I'm glad you found other things to keep your mind active. My disability is not visible to the world. Yet. Cognitive problems are my biggest complaint. My neck has been killing me for a few weeks. Legs are cramping up. The doctor said it's from my lesion on my spinal chord. Only going to get worse he said. HSCT seems like something I should do sooner rather than wait for things to get totally out of hand. I still want to build that Wittman Tailwind.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrayedknot View Post
Thanks for the encouragement. Sorry you had to hang up your wings. I'm glad you found other things to keep your mind active. My disability is not visible to the world. Yet. Cognitive problems are my biggest complaint. My neck has been killing me for a few weeks. Legs are cramping up. The doctor said it's from my lesion on my spinal chord. Only going to get worse he said. HSCT seems like something I should do sooner rather than wait for things to get totally out of hand. I still want to build that Wittman Tailwind.
It was the leg cramps and vertigo that caused me to ground myself. I've not had any real cognitive issues to speak of. As an engineer and physicist, I was always in the top couple percent of brain usage. I don't do the Calculus in my head anymore, but I think that's more from non use than M.S. symptoms.

I find taking care of my farm and animals a very rewarding pastime now.

Wittman Tailwind sounds like a great project! I did keep my CNC plasma cutter from my old aircraft building days. I find it quite handy on the farm for making tools and farm implements.
Linux geek, blogging at lnxgoat.com
M.S. since 2000
Old 02-06-2018, 07:15 PM

My background is physics and engineering as well! And I fly for the challenge of it. What a coincidence. Maybe they should do a study on egg heads with pilots licenses. Personally think my type A personality got me in trouble in the first place.
BTW I fly in a club in Toledo. We have a Pietenpol aircamper..