Kafka Kool Tie Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kafka Kool Tie Review

Went on another backpack this past weekend in GORGEOUS (read: warm) weather. I knew we'd have extended time above tree level, so decided to give this thing a go.

Info:
    Kafka Kool Tie
    Works via evaporative cooling.
    Ties around your neck; can also be used around a small head or on pressure points.
    Take approx. 45 minutes to soak, stays wet for days.

Pros: Stayed partialy hydrated for a long time, even sitting in my windowsill. Can take being at least partially frozen just fine. Putting it on right out of the fridge was too cold for my neck, but might be nice around the wrist or head.

Cons: Bulky and heavy. Also, it felt wet even when the outside was dry - clammy and humid. It swells up quite a bit so it looks like a sausage. Also, my sweat kept re-hydrating the crystals, which I think hindered the performance considerably.

Biggest con: well, it didn't work. Not while hiking at a (disgustingly) slow pace, anyway, or even in the wind above tree line. I think this would be fine somewhere with some air flow, where you aren't working up too much sweat, maybe out at the lake or chilling out somewhere. I bet it would be great for biking - I'm trying that next. I finally took it off and hung it from the back of my pack (where it could finally evaporate and start to cool!). Definitely NOT worth the weight for heavy hiking/sweating activities.

Excellent review, Slugger! Thanks so much. This straight-up advice is spot on and I'm sure our readers appreciate it.
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Comment

Working...
    X