Back to the Gym

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back to the Gym

Hey Everyone. I'm so glad I found this website. I've been on another, which is good - but I wouldn't feel right posting about going back to the gym when so many people go on how they can't anymore. So I feel good sharing here with a group who are able/trying to stay active.

My first attack happened during my workout in January, not even 2 months ago. It started with a tingling in my feet and spread to my whole body. I feel reasonably good, though of course, not as good as I used to.

HOWEVER. Today I returned to the scene of the crime and did a mild work out with a very large fan and stopped when I felt a little extra tingling. I don't quite have the feeling of well-being I used to get from a work out, but it's early days, isn't it?

One of the guys at the counter - a great guy who greets every person, young/old/large/small with genuine respect, asked me where I'd been. I came over to him and whispered silently about what had happened to me, that I have MS. I teared up a little when I got outside; it's still that fresh.

I'm shooting up Avonex, doing the VitaminD, going to start V12 and lowering fat and losing weight (not that my diet wasn't already pretty good), but I have more work to do.

I'm so glad there is an active group here. I can see how easy (I did it for a week) it can become to stay in bed all day and feel sorry for yourself.

I don't know what the future holds, but I can expect I'll need support in the future. But for now, I just wanted to share this with all of you. We need to get the word out for this site too. I've posted links on other sites.

August

I'm glad you aren't letting the diagnosis stop you from working out! The Lhermitte's sign you feel (the tingling) is common if not annoying. I find I get it more when I get hot and/or tired. Maybe when you are working out wear clothes that don't get too hot, sweats and heavier clothing. Also drink a lot of water, hydration helps! Things I'm sure you knew but it helps hearing again!

Comment

Krista,

Funny you should mention Lhermitte's - I had it for at least a year and never thought enought to mention it to any doctor. WHen I did get the periphreal neuropathy, they told me it was in my mind, it's not MS, etc... It was very frustrating.

But it's not what I feel when I exercise - what I have is an increased general level of tingling, difficulties and all old symptoms return to various degrees. My hands can feel anywhere from slightly numb, to painful and the exercise brings that out. Heat, I suppose.

Thanks. I am keeping cool, but I'm hardly bringing my heart into the Aerobic range and itching to get more of a workout. But I suppose I still should go gradually. So I am going back today, especially since the symptoms which lasted until this morning have gone away.

The interesting thing is that I believe I've been compensating for MS-based symptoms with the exercise for a while and that's why I felt so good. I plan to continue. I just have to get to know my "new" body.

BTW, I heard a new word today: Pre-habilitation. Getting strong to deal with your next relapse. Not sure about that. I'm glad I never did muscle work and can count on feeling stronger, even with MS.

Anyone have an experience to share?

Comment

Working...
      X