ActiveMSers Forums  

Go Back   ActiveMSers Forums > ActiveMSers.org Forums > MS Fitness

Old 02-06-2019, 06:10 PM
MS Whisperer

Its been awhile since I updated and I have really enjoyed reading about your adventures. Your happiness is palpable, Veronica .

As for me - recovery for my right hip scope has been, interesting. I'm working with my PT to resolve my gait and compensation issues.

Things on the bike are going better then walking however. I am on 3-4 times a week for 45 min - 1 hour at a time at the an FTP 20 off from what I maintained pre-surgery. I'm side on the trainer as I hate the cold and thats what we are getting here. I am sure the hills will slow me once I do get out but I am making good progress so I really hope I will be able to do what I used too. I decided instead of my usual 4 century rides I was going to focus on 2, BikeMS, and a late season ride that is very flat.

My PT is rather stumped with my gait issue as well. Yesterday at my appointment she gathered all the other PTs and owner and presented my case to them. They each did a million tests. The owner of the place used the time (2 hours!!!!) to teach the therapist who have never had a patient with MS. It was really interesting and me and my PT have several new theories to go after. So I will keep at it. For now I'm walking 1-2 days for 30 minutes. This generally caused various pain. Resolving that is my biggest goal for this year. I feel like if I can't fix it now - this will be my new normal and I really don't want that. This is not what is going to take my mobility.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:15 PM
MS Yoda

The cold and frequent snow storms got to me so I took off for Tucson two weeks ago. However, all I managed to accomplish was one 40 mile bike ride! When it started raining there and didn't stop for a couple of days, I packed up and went back home.

On the bright side, I had the opportunity to enjoy Dave and Laura Bexfields unparalleled company and hospitality, both coming and going! Thank you Dave and Laura. It certainly served to reinforce my opinion of how fortunate we are as MSers to have you guys around. Next time we'll get that bike ride in! Long Live the ActiveMSers!

I came back to more snow and below zero temperatures so I've been in the gym for the past week but I have managed to figure out a schedule! It goes like this:
Monday Wednesday and Friday's are cardiovascular days, riding, elliptical or even just walking, at least one of which will be high intensity.
Sunday's and Thursday's are weight training days.
While every day is a stretching day, Saturday's and Tuesday's will be dedicated to it, and light core oriented calisthenics.

What's with all the hip problems? I certainly hope that gets worked out for you guys.

Here's hoping it gets warm enough to ride soon,
Larry

Last edited by AMFADVENTURES; 02-11-2019 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:10 PM
Dave @ ActiveMSers

Loved spending time with Larry. Good to be able to call him a friend. The best part might have been the first morning when we were sitting down to enjoy coffee when Larry said he enjoyed any type of coffee... except Indonesian.* "That stuff is crap. This is tasty--what is it?"

Laura: "Indonesian."

hahahahahaha

*Larry lived in Indonesia for many years and likely drank their "crap" second-tier coffee, while they shipped out the good stuff.

Been able to get out on the bike some, but the weather has been iffy. Got pretty chilly on my ride yesterday--only 45 degrees. But the big news: my Planet Fitness added both an upper-body ergometer (arm spinny thing) and a seated arm/leg cardio machine with foot straps to lock you in! I'll be writing corporate to add these to all locations. A good way to get cardio when weather is sketch.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:31 PM
Veteran Misfit

This is great that you could spend time together!
Must have been fun.
Dave, I think to remember that you were seeing dr Hutton for a while in Houston so you must have fans there already. I used to live there.
Now I am at the foot of the Sierra and supposed to be under the snow line. Well, not this year, even lost power for a week, thanks I have a propane generator but at the end I was running on fumes.
So plenty of time for yoga and PT exercises and of course I master the shoveling sit down or with the walker on the side for balance.
Larry, for the hip I am paying for been stupide 45 year ago (you know one of those Dave stunt but with far worse ending)
Best wishes to everyone.
Old 02-23-2019, 02:31 PM
MS Whisperer

Hi all: Need to check in and make comments! Dave and Larry: Happy to hear of your "male bonding" time... Good coffee story! Nice work shredding those tires Dave! Proof you're out there rollin' alot... And Larry, as I remember from your second half of winter reports of the past, Denver weather is very fickled this time of year...but it still astounds me how you can be riding one day, and get socked in with snow for the next 3..... Glad you got some more time on the ski bike and have passed the test... WooHoo for next season!!

Alain, Marina, Grady, and Hondo.... ugh...injuries and surgeries really do slow us down, but I hear from each of you that you aren't giving in to the setbacks and that's magnificent... Seems to be serving you all, in your individual ways, well.

Marina, I think that is fabulous that your PT and crew are so invested in solving the riddle of the stride issues. And GREAT that they used it to give some training to PTs not used to working with the likes of us... there needs to be more PTs knowledgeable in working with MSers. I worked with my PT a few months back when he had a grant to train PTs in working with MSers....really was fun, interesting to see the different perspective of Ortho PTs vs. Neuro PTs. He used me as a patient presentation.

And me? Well, the year has certainly had its ups and downs so far....After Steamboat, I came back intending to get my inside routine settled in for the winter, got back to back colds which zapped me, then managed to get food poisoning from store bought salad ( one of those bagged ones..) which resulted in me actually calling 911 while I lay on the floor of the bathroom.. Very dramatic indeed.... The local hospital ( 17 miles away...) offers to keep people over a certain age (......) for Observation in a unit off the ER, and since we were forecast for a snowstorm and I actually wasn't feeling very strong, I took them up on it. Glad I did, as when I got home the next day, I still wobbled around this place to the point of wondering if it triggered a relapse. Luckily it was just the effects of the illness and lack of good sleep at the hospital. So it took a few more days to get back my stamina, balance, strength, blah, blah blah. And haven't bought a bagged salad yet, and probably never will again.

I am FINALLY getting my rhythm of working on the trainer with the trike and starting to feel more consistent in doing cardio, strength and balance checks. I had really slid off doing everything for a while, and my body reacted to it in terms of my seeing increased spasticity... and increase in the trandelenburg gait issue that has always plagued me. With my being back doing what I should be doing more regularly I am already seeing improvement. Just so glad I cleaned up my act in time to catch this, but I still have alot to do to try to recover what slid away.

Now, my skiing has taken on a life of its own! I was so honored to have been a recipient of a donation from Turtle Ridge Foundation that allowed me to get my own iSkiBike... This has been in the works for the past 8 months or so, and it wouldn't have happened if not for a connection that reached out to me when I was first looking to see where in the NE I could use an iSkiBike. He and I have made a nice friendship as a result also. This has just blown me away.... the bike was made for me by the solo manufacturer in Montana, and he adjusted it for the petite 5 footer that I am.... I will be getting it to my mountain for its maiden runs this Tuesday,and then taking it up to New Hampshire to ski two days at Bretton Woods next week with He Who Fought So Hard for me to get this. We will be joining my "sister" MSer who has skied at Steamboat also these past two years. Turtle Ridge is Bode Miller's family's foundation, and they are based at Cannon Mountain. Plan to get back up to Cannon at the end of the season...snow should last to close to Easter...so I can thank them personally ( ), and so they can see that I am using this wonderful invention... Still helping my local mountain get comfortable with my using the bike here...they are nervous! Larry, I actually told them about your report of what Winter Park demands for people to be able to use them, and I think they will do a similar requirement of passing a test on proficiency and safety.

That does it for me for the moment! Carry on all!
Old 02-28-2019, 03:40 PM
MS Yoda

Default Surely it's Summer Some Where!

This has definitely been a slow start to the training season, at least for bikes. It's just now starting to warm up but we need to melt off 1/2 ft. of snow and ice before we can get out. And there's another storm coming this weekend. Still, I do believe things are looking up but it is going to be a shorter training season than recent years.

I am religiously getting to the club for weights, elliptical and core work though and I do believe it's paying off. I guess I'll find out when I'm finally able to get out on the bike.

Dave, now that I think about it, seems the Indonesians used to roast their coffee beans with rubber tree wood. I always wondered about that. Glad you've been able to get out a little at least.

Alain, I actually like shoveling snow but we haven't had any very big storms that needed much shoveling yet. That could all change this coming weekend though.

Veronica, you're probably out skiing as I write this. Can't wait to hear about it!

Hoping for some warmer weather,

Larry
Old 03-18-2019, 01:28 PM
MS Yoda

Default An Almost Perfect Ride

Just returned from Las Vegas, trying to dodge an imminent cyclone bomb (say what???) But about 10 days before that we finally got a nice day. Temperatures shot up to 50 and enough of the ice and snow was melted off of my street that I could safely get to the bike path. The path itself was clear, although there was still plenty of snow beside it and a few large puddles of water.

I decided to take a lap around my favorite piece of rural countryside, the reservoir near my house. There are some fairly short but pretty steep hills there and although this isnít a ride Iíd normally do this early in the season, I figured it might give me a chance to see how my indoor training program was progressing. I was pleasantly surprised at just how well I was able to spin up those hills and how in control my heart rate stayed doing it. There's obviously a lot to be gained with winter training.

Coming around the far side of the reservoir, entering the only flat stretch, I ran into my old pal the wind. It greeted me gently at first but within 10 minutes it had increased to the fury of a freight train, complete with sound and I could see that it was hauling the next cold front down the mountains and across the foothills, heading straight for me. With the clouds moving in and the temperature dropping and the wind whistling that my ride was over, I rode out of the reservoir and headed back home. I got 25 pretty slow miles but what an almost perfect ride it was, just a little short!

All in all, I was very happy with my 4th ride of the year but there is a long way to go to the MS 150 and a relatively short time to get there. Oh well, hopefully at least now itís really started.

AMF
Old 03-26-2019, 12:21 PM
Dave @ ActiveMSers

AMF, great to see you are able to get out on the bike now that the weather is warming. Rode three of the last four days as the weather has been so good I haven't been able to stay indoors. And the temps yesterday crested 70, so it was cooling vest time! Testing a revised vest from Coolture and will have a write-up ready soon.

Just saw that the trail I ride ALL the time, the one blocks from my house, made Outside's 25 best running trails in the WORLD. Hope to ride another of the top 25 trails in June at the Grand Tetons. Have you guys been on any of the others?

https://www.outsideonline.com/239199...s-in-the-world
Old 03-27-2019, 01:21 PM
Veteran Misfit

Spring finally arriving here in Winterpeg (Winnipeg, Canada), the horse has started shedding out his winter coat, still too cool out for biking (too much ice/water puddles on the roads), but have got outside to do some laps of run/walk intervals in local park. Swimming this winter was great, really enjoying that, can get the intensity without the overheating like at the gym, will be continuing swim lessons until June.

For a challenge this year I signed up for a novice triathlon - 300m swim, 10k bike, 2.5k run (or walk in my case lol) in June, then the MS Bike Tour in August.

Cheers
Karen
Old 03-27-2019, 08:17 PM
Optimistic Misfit

Karen that is a great goal. I live about 225 miles south of you and have been to Winterpeg many times. I love your city. Iíve been out riding 3 times so far. Havenít needed a cooling vest! If I was still riding a 2 wheeler there is no way Iíd be out and about. Iíve continued to have problems since my hip replacement but being on the trike has already helped. Saw the ortho yesterday and he said everything looks solid so that was great news.