Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BalanceWear vest to improve balance in those with MS

Has anyone tried this? http://www.motiontherapeutics.com

I think it was mentioned sometime ago. I spoke with the company today and you need to be seen by a PT trained by them for an assessment. The cost is $700-$900 for the vest.I did not ask what was thecost for the assessment. I"m in Canada and it's not available.

Teena Marie, I recently got this e-mail from a fellow ActiveMSer. She digs it! I wonder if similar results could be achieved using the First Line Technology cooling vest. Since there are like 18 cooling packs in their vest, I wonder if you could strategically remove a number of them to achieve the same result... and have a cooling vest to boot and spend less (the BalanceWear vest is twice as expensive). Hmm. - Dave

I have RR MS, was diagnosed in 1991. I have something that I would like to share with you. Last September I was fitted for a BalanceWear vest. Seriously this works. Cindy Horn is the inventor of the vest. She started with MS patients and found it works with most balance issues, like ataxia ( I have a friend w/ ataxia and she has a vest ) stroke patients etc. etc. I believe I have at least 50% of my balance back. I can jump ( but not to high. lol) skip and run. I can even stand on one leg. So I know it works. And has greatly improved my quality of life and my spirit.

Please do visit Cindy Horn's website. Cindy is a wonderful and a very caring PT. She made this weighted vest specifically for people with MS and found it helped with other balance issues.
    http://www.motiontherapeutics.com/
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Comment

I have a friend who has been fitted for one

I have a friend who has been fitted for one. She doesn't have it yet, but she told me about someone else who was being fitted who no longer needed their cane while wearing the trial vest.

Apparently, there is something very individualistic about the positioning of the weight, i.e., there is an optimum position and load for every individual. Thus, the need for a PT to do the fitting.

The finished product is thinner than the trial vest so that it can be worn under clothes and be "invisible."

Here is a link to a video of someone in even worse shape than most MSers and who received a remarkable result.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjOzcEnJkHI

If my friends vest works even half this well, I'll be getting one, too.

Craig

P.S. I logged on to see if Dave had tried one. Glad to see you're ahead of the game Teena. But, if it works so well, how come it's taking so long to get into this forum?

Comment

Love my balance vest!

I have RR MS, diagnosed in 2003. I have used a cane for about 10 years because of balance issues. I saw in an email from Everyday Health last spring mentioning a balance vest which I hadn't ever heard of so I searched on the internet and found the motiontherapy site. When I saw the videos on utube I had to check it out. On their site they list PTs that are educated and luckily found a PT in my area that is able to see if one works for you. I got a prescription from my neurologist and it took about 4 months before I could get an appointment with the PT. Once I saw the PT and was tested to see if the vest would help me I knew I needed one. I received my vest a little over a month ago and to me it is a game changer! I still use my cane since my brain is used to being unstable for now. The PT has several people that have the balance vest and the little weights that go inside the vest to help me not be so unstead may be changed or adjusted with time. The PT tries to help me go through real life situations where I may fall so I know how to avoid the fall. I am so glad I got mine! I have previously been to 3 other PTs and I would suggest trying to find a PT that has worked with MS patients even if you don't decide to try the vest. You may have to drive a little further or wait a little longer for an appointment but for me it was well worth it in the long run.

Comment

Thanks for the post, Angela. Always good to hear first-hand from a user. Good info!
          Dave Bexfield
          ActiveMSers

Comment

My friend's experience

Saw my friend who is trying the Balance Wear last night. She's got her permanent vest now. She's a little unsure whether she is seeing improvement, but her husband is certain she has improved since starting to wear the vest. I don't really have enough familiarity to say anything other than that the change is not dramatic.

Here are some of her learnings:

The weight positions and sizes are adjusted every two weeks by a physical therapist.

She did notice an improvement in standing with her eyes closed.

With 3 pounds in the vest, she was very tired at the end of the day. 1 & 1/4 pounds was much more manageable.

The PT suggested trekking poles. With them, she can walk all day.

Comment

This is great news... A Balancing Vest!!!

I just came across this by accident. I have a prescription to go to Spaulding in Boston for PT strengthening of my thigh and calf muscles. And for the first time it's written to address escalating balance issues due to some falls and near falls. I had no idea these vests had been developed.

Last summer I thoroughly researched cooling vests via ActiveMSers due to an outdoor wedding I was involved in during high heat/humidity. But this could actually prove to be a life saver. It's unfortunate that a PT is necessary to tailor it to an individual rather than off-the-shelf use.
              But it does make sense. I'm going to pursue this under the assumption that the vest and its fine tuning are covered by insurance. Am I right?
              With my wife no longer with us, my son and daughter can't realistically be around 24/7 to assist when I do lose balance suddenly. These vests will help not only physically but will also give peace of mind for the occasional but sudden sensation felt during a free fall. Any advice from current owners/wearers of a Balance Vest that has the appearance of not being worn is so welcome as my Spaulding appointments are imminent.

Comment

Working...
              X