ActiveMSers Forums  

Go Back   ActiveMSers Forums > ActiveMSers.org Forums > Gear

Old 12-15-2011, 02:18 PM
Dave @ ActiveMSers

Default Best forearm crutches?

Okay, these are super trick titanium forearm crutches and priced like it. Holy smokes, $1K! I hope insurance will cover them, because I so want a pair. I think they'll be better than a $50 pair from Walgreens.

http://fetterman-crutches.com/index.php

The ones I have are 20-year-old beaters my sister found in the basement, but they work so much better than my cane and are less fatiguing than my walker.

In looking up these crutches, I found this guy who recommends them. He's like me, except for amputees. And he may be a bit wittier and a bit more handsome and a bit faster. Waaay faster. It's cool how well he can move with one leg. He can sprint as you can see in the video. Way better than I can move with two legs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6DgF...ature=sh_e_top
Old 12-15-2011, 07:47 PM

Wow, he is way more sure of himself with the forearm crutches than I am! And what is it with guys pretending that they are guns?! The testimonial clip of President Clinton reminded me so much of my SO and what he does with my crutches lol. I'll stick with the $75 ones that are a step up from the Walgreens ones, pretty sure insurance would balk at the price tag on those!
Old 12-19-2011, 03:20 PM

If you can believe it there is an even better crutch out there... we are currently working on getting Josh a set and thought you might be interested too!

You should check out this new user video we just posted, it might blow your mind: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=5PZhS-GB6fA

Also check us out at http://www.sidestix.com to learn more.

Last edited by SideStix; 02-07-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:26 PM
Dave @ ActiveMSers

Okay, the video is pretty cool, especially the last quarter. I don't think I'll try those stunts anytime soon! Let's get in touch when you have time. PM me or shoot me an e-mail (or call). I've been planning to do a piece on forearm crutches for some time now as they really have given me freedom. Happy holidays!
Old 01-20-2012, 05:32 PM
Dave @ ActiveMSers

It looks as if my next gear review will be on forearm crutches. I talked to Sarah, the founder of SideStix, for more than a half hour about her sticks and what sets them apart. (We also chatted about why we do what we do as members of the disabled community. She lost her leg to a drunk driver when she was riding her bike and has an attitude just like many of us at ActiveMSers. Keep moving!) She's sending me a pair of crutches to test, and I've got some cool ideas to put them through the ringer. I'll also compare and contrast them with my stock crutches and other walking aids. Details to come!
Old 01-27-2012, 05:36 PM
Dave @ ActiveMSers

SideStix has sent me a pair of forearm crutches (also called Canadian or Lofstrand crutches) for me to test and review. I'm excited. I've just put them together and will start to put them through the paces this weekend when I go out skiing. This will be part of a thorough review of forearm crutches, including how to fit them, what to look for when purchasing, what to avoid, and why they work so well as a walking tool.

Initial impressions of the SideStix--I'm impressed. Holy cow, the carbon fiber main tube is as light as a feather. And the grips are fantastic. Are these the best Canadian crutches on the market? We'll see. I've been excited before only to relegate gear to rarely used oversized six-pack beer koozies.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:12 PM
Dave @ ActiveMSers

Testing of the SideStix has been coming along well. I thought about making a video of the new slick moves I can do with these crutches... until I saw this clip. It's insane what people can do with two sticks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OasVtpPcjWg
Old 10-02-2012, 09:54 AM
Dave @ ActiveMSers

Whoa, Nico, the soccer player featured in the SideStix video, was on CBS Evening News last night! He can rock those SideStix (padded for when he plays soccer). The guy is a total inspiration. Man, can he play. And the goal he scores is off the hook.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_16...flexGridModule
Old 02-06-2013, 02:10 PM

Thumbs up Thomas Fetterman, Inc. crutches

First, thank you, Dave, for your insights on the forearm crutches. I'd never considered these before and, after I read your comments on them, I ordered some. I looked at the SideStix, I researched, and I ended up going to the Thomas Fetterman, Inc. site. They send me some adjustable forearm crutches to try.
My intent was to splurge and get the custom crutches...but thank goodness they sent me the temps to try! I found that whereas in the house, in my slippers, I needed one height...but in my Uggs, I needed a different height. I NEEDED adjustable crutches. And that's what I ended up getting. They are great. I no longer have to hang on to someone when I go somewhere. I no longer have to touch every wall and surface as I try to walk. They are well made and use the same tips as the SideStix (Fetterman tips).
Thank you again for all your advice and words.
(By the way, I added an entry for the Vibram Five Fingers shoes, which have also aided me enormously.) Of course, I'm also broke now. But hey, that was a price I was willing to pay.

Last edited by sue w.; 02-06-2013 at 03:29 PM.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:10 PM
Dave @ ActiveMSers

Fetterman makes some nice crutches, Sue. Which style of crutches did you end up getting? My Stix are pretty easy to adjust and I like swapping out the tips for snow/sand/hiking, but they do require an Allen wrench to change their height, so if you are doing that often (like every time you put on or take off shoes) I can see that it might be a hassle.