MS Relapse and walker usage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MS Relapse and walker usage

I was just hospitalized for my worst MS relapse for 8 days. I literally could not walk, my feet wouldn't even move, even though my brain was telling them too. During the hospitalization they introduced me to a walker. I really resisted however now that I have been home for over a week, I'm still using the walker. I can walk a little bit by myself but it is a lot of work. The walker really saves my energy and helps me get up from sitting and makes me much more stable. I am just wondering if others have used a walker. I don't want to become dependant on its use. Any suggestions from those that have had to use the walker in the past. Should I just push myself to not use the walker?

I have been in the same situation with a walker. If you are not already in Physical therapy I would highly recomend it. Don't be in a rush to get rid of the walker. Rehab slowly and your body will tell you when it is time to leave the walker behind. I painted mine so it would not feel so much like a horible pice of medical equipment. You can add your own touch and you will feel more comforatable with it.

Comment

cruiserkb is right, Becky. My PT sis tells me one of her biggest complaints is that her patients abandon aids too early. That leads to bad habits, longer rehab, and injuries from falls.

Use that walker to your advantage and view it as an aid rather than an albatross. Relapses can take a good bit of time to recover from, so be patient but be diligent in your recuperation.
      Dave Bexfield
      ActiveMSers

Comment

I have come to the conclusion that the walker is really helping right now. It helps with my balance and my legs no longer ache. I am going to go to PT in Sept after I get some energy back. Thanks for all the great advice.

Comment

The dreaded walker!

I finally swallowed my pride after finding one day that a cane was just not helping me to walk when I was tired and my legs just "locked-up". What a relief it was. I purchased a Swedish one on line and it is great. It has large wheels for going over such things as small branches on grass trails and water hoses or thick electrical cords wherever they may be. It handles curbs quite well with a little kick=plate that helps get the front wheels up. It has brakes and a really handy seat with a small basket underneath - handy for flea-markets! The design is stylish and not at all "old lady like". It also folds to a slimmer profile so can easily be kept beside your seat at any restaurant. I try not to use it all the time but when the spirit is willing but flesh oh-so weak it is truly a life saver.
          I also recently purchased the most innovative mobility scooter thingmy called a "Luggie". Mine is bright yellow and the huge advantage of this is that it will fold flat to be put in a car trunk or on the front seat of a car or can be stowed as check-in luggage on a plane! How cool is that! It is great fun to drive (front handlebars) and has plenty of zip. I haven't had it out anywhere really big yet but am really looking forward to using it for things like the state fair or large swap meets.
          Wish me luck as I take my first fencing lesson next week! Does anyone else do this?
          Pat

Comment

Working...
          X