SPMSer currently undergoing transplant in Germany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SPMSer currently undergoing transplant in Germany

A colleague of mine, George Goss, has updated his mscure blog with the story of one of his readers, Asher, who is going through the HSCT procedure with BEAM in Germany right now. He's in the recovery phase at day 6, so the chemo aftereffect are probably kicking pretty hard. The cost of his transplant was 55K Euros. Success in past trials has been more limited with SPMS than RRMS. I sincerely hope it works for him.

http://themscure.blogspot.com/search...&max-results=1
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Asher has had complications with a stubborn fever following the transplant, and will be in the hospital for about a month total (I got out in 21 days). He is scheduled to be released Friday, as his fever seems to be finally under control, but his problems underscore that this is a difficult and dangerous procedure.
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Comment

I spoke with him through email the other day, and he has been in great spirits through this ordeal and seems as determined as ever to try to stop his progression. Asher is a real type a guy.

Comment

Thanks for the update, shucks. Have you heard any more news on Asher? It sounds like he is doing much better, especially if he is up to e-mailing.
        Dave Bexfield
        ActiveMSers

Comment

He seems great. He is weak, but very confident that his progression is stopped. I emailed with him twice last week but haven't talked to him since. He has an update page at thisisms where he posts every few days. That guy is a strong willed fella and genuinely nice guy.

Comment

I saw his latest post, and Asher is in good spirits, doing well, and his brain is firmly screwed on.

Now I am sure you will understand my caution in reporting treatment related improvements. It's early days and besides I guess I am scared of disappointment later on and placebo playing tricks on me. With this in mind I'll pull together some courage: 1. No MS hug; 2. No needles and pins, and; 3. Greatly reduced urgency and I've become completely regular.
            Dave Bexfield
            ActiveMSers

Comment

Asher

I have no doubt in my mind that Asher treatment will be a 100% success....If he responds as 86% of people do on average...he will begin the process of reversing the damage....this will take a long time but will occur......go asher!

Comment

Working...
              X