Running with bilateral foot drop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running with bilateral foot drop

Any hints or tips to start running again. I have bilateral foot drop and my right leg is very weak. I used to run on a daily basis...now I am sitting on the sidelines while friends train for a half-marathon. I have the desire to do it again, but I tried and literally could manage to shuffle a little ways and then walk. I don't know how to begin or pace myself. I am frustrated, as well as jealous of my friends who are running and I am the one who can no longer keep up.

Suggestions?
    Last edited by cochrajk; 06-28-2010, 03:08 PM.
    Joy
    fides quaerens intellectum

Running

I was thinking of trying to run again myself, it's only been 10 years. My idea is to find a treadmill with hand rails, support myself with the rails and see if I can manage a few paces. I'll let you know if it works. If you find something that works for you, please post.

BTW, I was able to get rid of some of my foot drop issues by cycling but it took a long time.

AMF

Comment

I have a bicycle trainer in the garage from when I used to be able to ride. I don't have a bicycle anymore...but perhaps I will go find one and hook it to the trainer. I would love to be rid of the AFOs on both my feet!! Goodbye foot drop. Thanks for the tip.

I was also thinking about getting a gym membership and using one of those strider machines. I don't think that your foot ever breaks the surface of the foot plate, so maybe that might be a start too.

I bet both of us will be running again in no time!! Keep me posted with anything you find that helps!!
      Joy
      fides quaerens intellectum

Comment

I too have bilateral foot drop and AFOs on both feet I tried an eliptical but that is a no go for me, I tend to lock my knees so every stride on that machine is difficult. I am looking into getting a Gazelle since the motion is just back and forth not up down and back. Also when you sit at the computer or just on the couch do toe lifts, keep your feet on the floor and lift your toes up towards your shins. It helps build up the muscle and reduces the foot drop.
        Good luck!

Comment

Running

Well, I did try the treadmill with handrails a couple of times. While I can kind of do it, there seems to be so many problems with knees, feet and hips that I don't think running again is in my future. Guess I'm going to stick with elliptical's and bikes, they seem to work pretty well for me.

Good luck,
          AMF

Comment

Working...
          X