Can I Start Biking Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I Start Biking Now?

So, this can been running through my mind and since there seem to be so many bikers here I thought it would not hurt to ask.

I haven't ridden a bike since I was a kid and I have been interested in picking up biking as an addition to my exercise options. It looks likes it might keep me cooler to be moving faster on a bike than to be walking in the heat and humidity we have around here.

However, I am worried about whether or not I even *can* ride a bike. I don't really have too many physical symptoms, however my balance (and my relationship with where I am in space) is a bit messed up. I am worried I will just sort of fall over!

I don't know anyone who bikes to try it out, and I don't want to go out and buy a bike only to realize I can't do it.

Any ideas on what I can do?

I usually walk, do the elliptical, practice yoga, and CAN run but hate it so I don't...so I don't know if I am worrying needlessly.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!!

Marina-

Marina,
    I do feel it is worth investigating the possibility of adding biking to your exercise options. I can tolerate much more heat on a bike than I can running.
    Your first step would be to acquire a bicycle helmet that fits well. Then, I would suggest you visit your local bike shop and discuss your concerns with them. They can show you what size bike would fit you. They will also know about any local cycling clubs that have beginner rides in your area. There are adult tricycles which may work for you even if a regular bike is a problem.
    If you try a regular bike, just go slowly and get used to a bike again. It is possible to ride on grass at first just to gain confidence. Once you know how to tell if a bike fits and how to make the seat height adjustment, you can probably find something to ride just to get your feet wet. Then you can decide if you want to spend significant money on a road bike or a hybrid.
    There are studies showing the Parkinson's patients with poor balance and motor skills can ride a bike, so maybe the same is true for MS.
    Good luck and have fun!
    Pell

Comment

The reality is that you're going to have to make the rounds of the bike shops (2-3 times if you have to) to find the best bike for you.

However, some types you may want to look into are:

Adult upright trikes
      Recumbents
      bikes that feature a crank-forward/flat foot technology design
      bikes that feature a "step through" or "low step" design

Sun, Giant, Raleighs, Fujis and Treks (some popular bike makers) all feature one if not all of these bike models on their websites that you may want to look into.

I personally purchased a regular bike myself recently. A Sun Streamway 7.

http://www.sunbicycles.com/product_d...+7&cl1=COMFORT

Technically I'm going from a trike to a regular bike because I simply outgrew my trike. I wanted something faster and slimmer. Ironically, after sitting on dozens of bikes, I pick the maker of my trike. If you look closely the frame of the Streamway is the same as their Miami Sun trike except it only has two wheels and not three. I guess familiariy won out here.

Presently I'm averaging 5-8 mph on the trike (depending on road conditions)* and it definitely gets me where I'm going, which is in a 10 mile radius. But it's a bit wide and cumbersone at times, especially when I'm using a bike lane or on a narrow sidewalk.

BTW, check your local bike laws on using the sidewalk. In some states (like mine in Florida) bikes can use them. Of course, even if it's legal, I'd avoid sidewalks that are moderately used by walkers.

Like you I'm an adult learner so I'm taking a chance that I won't be able to ride the new bike safely but I'll take that chance for more mobility.

Right now I commute on my trike to my job, which is 3 miles away one way and plan to continue using my trike for short distances. However, I do plan to use the bike for longer distances of 3 miles or more.

In the end you're going to have to "kiss a lot of frogs before you find your Prince". At least though, you don't have to make them dinner.

This means sitting on a lot of bikes. Think Golidlocks. Go for the ones that feel right in reach, length, weight and overall comfort. You should be able to climb in and out of the bike without hopping out of it, like a bunny on crack.

If the saddle hurts like blazes, especially if you're generally at the bike height you should be for pedalling, then avoid it. It's not going to get any better unless you do what a lot of bike owners do and switch out the saddle for a better one. If it feels initially comfy (and most of the "Comfort" style bikes do feel comfty, then there is a good chance that you'll get use to it.

If you can afford it, look for bikes with a quick release suspension seat post and/or gender specific saddle. Your butt will thank you for it when you go over bumps.

Most bikes are multi-speeds now. Minimum you should have is a three speed (even on a trike). Believe me, your legs will thank you when you encounter an incline or a hill.

Be wary of bike shops that want to make you a bike owner as oppose to a bike rider. These owners will try to make you "fit the bike": rather then have a "bike fit you" in terms of height, reach, comfort and function.

There are so many adjustments they can make on a bike. if you see they are adjusting the handlbars or seat post to the extreme end of high and low for you, then that's a clue that the bike may be too big or small. Avoid it.

Sorry for the small book on this but I just had a recent experience on this very thing. It's still very fresh in my mind. Hope this dribble helps.

*5-8 mph may not be very fast but I found that's a safe range for most terran - for me. However, the busier and narrower the terrian you're going through, the slower you want to go. Also note that I upgraded my trike to a three speed and replaced the tractor seat to a saddle for more pedaling efficiency. This increased the overall speed and handling of the trike.

And of course, people differ. What's super sonic speed for one is standing still for someone else. The whole point is to go slow and steady but above all safely.
      Last edited by Lucia; 06-19-2010, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Thanks so much for the replies! I looked up some local (non-chain) bike shops and am planning on checking them out this weekend.

It will be really interesting to see if i can ride a regular bike without falling over. I tend to underestimate myself, so here is hoping I am just being a drama queen about it

Lucia... I did not even realize there were so many types of bikes and options. It seems if I really want to ride there will be something out there to make that possible. That's awesome. Thanks for showing me the possibilities. I am going to try to go for a regular bike first, but if that fails its great to know where are other options there for me!

Comment

Just to update. I found a local bike shop near a trail that does rentals. Me and my husband went down, rented some bikes and off we went. I did answer the questions as to whether I can ride a bike... I CAN. I was so excited about that. I do remember how to ride but I was a bit shaky. I ended up with a hybrid bike with very thin wheels and narrow handlebars. We plan to go back a few times and try out different types of bikes... I am going to find one with wide set handle bars and more substantial wheels. I felt a bit unsteady...though that might improve if I can improve my confidence!

Comment

Glad to hear that you're already riding. Also, that you're beginning to have an idea of the type of bike that may be right for you.

They do make hybrids with 26 inch wide types. I've seen them in the shops. Off hand I've seen aTrek and a Giant bike with 26 inch wheels which are usually wider and thicker. So they are out there.

Today I brought my new Sun Streamway 7 home from the bike shop courtesy of my sister's mini SUV. Gee, it almost sounds like I brought a baby home. I've definitely paid a lot of attention to it, which included wiping it down when I saw a speck on the frame.

(Whose a good little bike? You're a good little bike. Yes you are, yes you are... insert appropriate cooing sounds here...).

Starting tomorrow I'll be riding it like a dandy horse until I get the hang of it. There's a nearby parking lot with my name on it that I can use off hours. Per suggestions from another bike forum I've taken the pedals off - FINALLY- and lowered the seat so I can push the bike and myself around.

P.S. Update - I rode around for 45 minutes this way but I was only able to maintain my balance for a few seconds at a time. Going slow definitely doesn't help. I think I need more adjustments to the handlebar and saddle but I'm going to have to learn to do these myself. I can see this is going to be a long process.
            Last edited by Lucia; 06-27-2010, 01:31 PM.

Comment

I had never heard of that Lucia! I have ALOT to learn. Riding a bike was so easy as a kid...jump on and go

Comment

Originally posted by Marinadca View Post
                I had never heard of that Lucia! I have ALOT to learn. Riding a bike was so easy as a kid...jump on and go
                You're lucky. I never owned a bike as a kid. I lived most of my life in big cities where you learned to read a train/bus schedule and used the trains and buses to get around.

Nevertheless, I'm already living proof that you're never to old to learn.

Comment

That is definitely true!!

Comment

A little update... I am now the proud owner of a Giant brand mountain type bike. Its great. I can't wait to get out there!

Thanks for the encouragement.

Comment

I like Giant; they make a solid bike. How was your first ride? Did you go with clipless pedals and bike shoes, regular toe clips, or naked pedals?

(Hmm, naked pedals, I never thought I'd say such salacious things.)
                      Dave Bexfield
                      ActiveMSers

Comment

I love my new bike. Our complex has a mile measured trek I walk on, so I've taken it around twice four 2 miles the last 3 days. Not very far, but its so hot! Being on the bike definitely different muscles than the elliptical, walking or yoga!

As for the pedals... I am just using plain old pedals with my running shoes. I am sort of scared of the clips to be honest with you

Comment

Working...
                        X