No announcement yet.

Ideas on staying cooler while swimming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas on staying cooler while swimming?

I know this question sounds oxymoronic!

I run over the winter...but stop over the summer given the heat. Decided this year to start swimming in a bid to stay physically more active over the summer. Have been going about 4 weeks now.

Doing ok so far - but wish the water was colder. Public pools are in the 80 to 82F. A couple of degrees cooler would make all the difference.

Anyone have any ideas on staying a cooler while swimming? Are any cooling vests water proof or resistant so could be worn in a pool while swimming? Do any swimming style wet suits have cooling properties?

Was about to send this question to Dave after his very thorough review of cooling vests that he just published. But concluded that best put here so that others can join in etc..

You'll probably be a lot happier around 78 degrees, but it really is tough to find public pools that'll shave those few degrees off. Drives me nuts too! One idea is to find out where competitive swimmers in your area train, whether elite masters or folks prepping for a triathlon. They usually prefer colder water and thus might be a good indicator! At the very least they can provide critical mass for persuading the folks running the pool to lower the temp a smidge.

Do you live near a swimmable body of water? If you do, and are comfortable with your swimming skills, you could try to find out if a group of folks are training out there. Often triathletes try to get in some open water experience and congregate around the same time. Having other folks around for that kind of swimming is good from a safety standpoint.

In my experience, wearing anything extra, even a t-shirt, in the water tends to keep me warmer--at least while actually in the water. But since you've mentioned it, now I'm curious about how some styles of cooling vest would work in the water. Could make for some fun research!

Comment

Thankyou for the response MSSpouse.

So, the pool I am using until a few years ago was around 78F. I have looked locally for a cooler pool - but have not found one yet, but the search will continue. I did find one at a local private college - but they do not allow non-students to use it.

I like your idea of using an open body of water - I do live near a large one (the Chesapeake Bay,I live in Annapolis MD) so will look into doing that as part of a group. I am a good swimmer - but having only recently returned to the sport will be a while before I am completely comfortable in such a circumstance, I figure probably by next summer I will be.

Comment

Interesting dilemma. I'm a swimmer and like the water below 70. Open water is the best. What about using a couple of ice neck ties-one around your waist and one around your neck? This wouldn't produce much drag.

Keep us posted.

Teena Marie

Comment

Gary, have you tried pre-cooling? Wear a cold cooling vest to the pool, drink a slushie, take a cold shower before entering the pool. The idea is to cool your core before you start exercising. I've never done it but it's supposed to work for cycling.

Comment

outdoor pools in your area?

I live in a town with a number of pool associations - organizations that have outdoor pools, only open in the summer, and most of them long enough for some swim meets (25 yards), and with scheduled lap times. Their water is ALWAYS colder than our big indoor, regulation pool. Mornings are particularly cold ... They usually have rentals for individuals available.

Comment

Gary, I don't think any cooling product can compete with water, so finding cooler water and precooling are your best options, along with taking perhaps more frequent breaks to cool down.

If you approach the college and plead your case (ideally in an e-mail or letter that can be passed around) I imagine they might make an exception. Write the dean if you have to you. Good luck.
              Dave Bexfield
              ActiveMSers

Comment

Pre-cooling will be helpful. Sometimes, on a hot day, I get to the point of shivering. Maybe keeping some ice cubes to suck on during a rest.

Good luck,

Teena Marie

Comment

My adaptions to the warm pool....

Thank you all for your input. Have used several of the ideas here plus others to adapt a little better to the situation. Can swim now with no or minimal impact after from the heat. Thought would share the list of adaptations I have made - may help others who read this at a future date.

- Pre-cooling really helps. Begin wearing my cooling vest about an hour before I go.

- Limit my time in the pool to about 30 minutes

- Minimize freestyle - do mainly breast stroke. Free style really over-heats my very quickly.

- Fill a couple of water bottles half full - then put in the freezer. Take them out as I leave for the pool - and fill the rest of the way with water so provides a nice cold drink as I swim.

- Swim in an area where the cold water comes into re-fill the pool. And have that running while swimming and then spend a few seconds each width cooling myself off in it before continuing.

- When get out of the pool - immediately put the cooling vest back on on, then go home and get into a cold shower. For the pool I go to, the water in the showers is only warm - a set temperature and cannot turn the heat down.

- Someone I play soccer with told me that his mother taught him to put his wrists under cold running water in the summer time to cool down. I get out of the pool on nights when feeling the to time to cool down in this manner.

Someone mentioned ice ties earlier in this thread. Does anyone have a recommendation of a specific brand? The one I have found is here http://www.polar-products.com/index....t&product_id=4 but looking for other suggestions.

The college pool I mentioned which has a cooler pool - is the Annapolis Naval Academy. So, not really an option to go there. The pool I go to is only 10 minutes from home - tough to give the convenience up I have contacted a few of the health clubs in the area to see if they have a cooler pool - and they don't. One of my daughter's very good friends is a competitive swimmer - and she reports that there is no pool in the area which is cooler than normal unless willing to go to Baltimore which is about an hour away. The club that I swim with is an elite masters club....not sure why they accepted me as the last thing I am is an elite swimmer
                  Last edited by garyp; 07-19-2014, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X