Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSers in Training 2015

Hi all,

Happy 2015. I'm wishing only good things for 2015 to all.

No snow over the holidays so I haven't tried my new, amazing cross country skiis. I was in the country for the season, so no pool. I actually consciously took it easy on the working out. A little strengthening and very little walking. It felt ok although I had to reassure myself that it wasn't going to set me back (fear was touched on in another thread). It was also good to rest a hip and a shoulder. Now it's back in the pool and back to work which requires a lot of walking. Plus, we've had unbelievable snow, freezing rain, rain followed by arctic temperatures. The worst kind of frozen, hard, lumpy piles. All I keep saying is that it's good for my proprioception. So, I haven't lost any function. In fact, the rest did me good.

I'm starting work with a new person in 2 weeks. A combination slow stretching while strengthening at the same time. Kind of flowing tai chi/ballet. I've also resuscitated my qigong practise and hope I can get it happening regularly.

To be continued.

As usual, take care all,

Teena Marie

It’s Summer Somewhere

Featured title theme at the local library – “It’s Summer Somewhere”

Thanks TM, it has been a tough year end. Personally, I like cold weather, even the occasional bitter cold, but enough is enough already.

What I got for Christmas was the flu. We had a house full of kids and grandkids and we were hosting Christmas dinner for the rest of the family, I was quarantined. I began to see a glimmer of hope within about 3 days and had begun to recover by New Years eve but boy, talk about exaggerated MS symptoms! On the bright side though, the flu took care of all of the holiday weight gain.

On with training. Prior to the extreme cold and the flu, I was walking 3 to 4 times a week, up to 2 miles on the weekly long walk. It is frustrating not to be able to get past the 2 mile mark but continuing to try is one of my goals this year. I have noticed that I continue to walk better for more of the 2 miles and, although it’s still a matter of many hours, begin to recover sooner.

I had been consistent about core work and had reached a point where I could increase the frequency of my core workouts to twice a week but now having problems getting restarted. I need to get going on this and continue it well into March and with lesser frequency for the rest of the year. There is a noticeable improvement in balance which I attribute to the core work.

I had started weight training twice per week. It was a good feeling to begin to recover a little of the upper body strength I seem to lose to cycling by the end of every year. Aside from the other obvious benefits, strength training seems to be very good for a general feeling of well being.

And the cycling, only spinning a little right now but looking to be up to 6 hours per week by the end of January, 8 – 10 hours by end of February. I have deemed this the year of the climb. Specific goals will depend on how well my training plan goes. I’ve had Pikes Peak in mind for a year or two now.

Finally, a belated shout out to Beth of MilesAndTrials. Beth completed her first Ironman competition in November, not just completed though, she knocked it out of the park with a fraction over 12:30 total time, truly incredible. Many, many congratulations Beth. You can read all about it at:
    http://www.milesandtrials.com/arizon...man-race-recap

Wishing everyone a happy and successful (and warmer) New Year,

Larry

Comment

Hi all,

Larry, I'm sorry to hear of your flu over the holidays. I'm curious how it impacted your symptoms. Your training sounds admirable with good impact on the walking.

I've upped my swimming and it feels good. It also seems to last longer with less spasticity.

I got on my skis a second time yesterday. It went better. I don't get far, still need help getting them on but I was able to stand up myself and didn't fall.

I started with a new physio last week. He has good MS experience so I'm cautiously optimistic. I find strength training quite exhausting.

Tomorrow I try a new movement technique-combo strength and stretch.

Take care all,

Teena Marie

Comment

TM, Haven't been out on my xcountry skis yet, we did have enough snow for a couple of days but the temps were just too cold for me. I will keep threatening to get out there though.

The MS pseudo exacerbation was bad, every MS symptom I'd ever had was amplified several fold, vision, balance, leg strength, even shoulders and arms. The only thing I didn't notice was the fatigue I used to get. Definitely the MSiest I have ever felt, by far. Fortunately it appears it was only a pseudo exacerbation, I believe whatever residual weakness I have is likely due to lack of exercise during the holidays. Time will tell.

Got a break in the weather last week that allowed me to get out on the bike 3 days in a row. Like with the swimming, it felt great. My endurance is still reasonably strong but I have some work to do to regain strength. I'm aiming to be back to normal by end of February and to start the climbing exercises Pell and I discussed last year in March.

Modified my core and upper body strength training to 3 times a week. I do upper body twice and core once for one week then switch to core twice and upper body once the following week. So far it seems to be a much more workable program. I've been slacking off on the walking just because the weather has been so good but intend to get back to it ASAP.

Hope everyone is well out there and staying active,

Larry

Comment

Tina Marie and Larry….your posts have DEFINITELY helped me get back on track, and I thank you for that. As of tonight I feel that I am cooking again with a regular routine. I thought I didn’t have it in me to get on the treadmill tonight as I got home after 7pm, and after getting something quick for dinner figured I was done for the evening. But around 8pm I decided to just get on the treadmill and see what happened. I was pleasantly surprised with what I did, and feel that I am just about where I was when I got sidelined by the end of the year. I am more winded though, but I think that will pass. Also, finally got the trike in from the garage and onto my trainer….I procrastinated doing this for no good reason at all…and while the doors are narrower than the trike, it was not much effort to tilt it to get it into my back bedroom which is where my trainer is. So yesterday I also started back with the spinning…. Hopefully I will be able to keep to a schedule of spinning twice a week, and treadmill work twice weekly. A little difficult as I am off skiing every Sunday, but I am not going to let that be a reason to not set this as a goal. I am back with the core work, and while I am so happy with my progress on the front planks, I continue to battle the difficulty with the side ones. As I have found with every other exercise that I have tried, if it is too difficult, then I need a modification, with the point being to not give up on trying to do it. Sometimes the progress seems nil to very small, but if there is no regression, then I try to see it as progress. My regular balance/stretching/strength trainings never took a big hit at the holidays, but those, too, I have now gotten back into doing much more regularly. And I agree with both your comments about exercising making one feel so good… physical well being, but also deep down to my soul kind of good.

Tina Marie, I wish you SNOW so you can get out on the skis. I also need someone to help me get the skis on and off….am going to try to see if there is a way I can do this myself…We’ll see. How is the new PT working out? It is so good that you found someone with MS experience. And Larry, I am thrilled to hear of the outside riding….your goal of focusing on hill climbing encourages me to keep striving to get the speed up even a little with the trike.

Be well everyone!
          Be thankful. Dream Big. Never Give Up.

Comment

This is just my apology for spelling your name wrong not once in my last post, but twice, Teena Marie! I realized this when I woke up at 3am!!

Comment

Hey V, Been meaning to tell you this for several weeks. On the side planks, try putting the foot of your top leg on the floor in front of the shin of your bottom leg and then using it to help lift your torso into the side plank position. Eventually, once you've mastered it, you can try regular side planks again. It worked for me on my weak side, compliments of the yoga chick. Apologies if you already know about this.

PS: Your skiing is nothing less than totally impressive!
              Larry

Comment

So the good news...I have signed up for Bike MS this year, no sitting on the sidelines this time.

The Eh news.... I signed up for a ride about 2 hours away because the ride close by was moved this year and the route is VERY hilly. Who knows, maybe I will be up for the huge hills by then but decided I could actually hope to complete and enjoy the ride a bit further away. I am kinda meeeeh about this but of well.

The great news: After 2 months of set backs (healthwise but not MS thankfully) I am feeling better though way weaker then I was when I got sick to begin with. I am back to walking, using the elliptical and last night I got on my bike again for the first time. It was only 20 minutes, this was the goal with no speed or distance goals, and my right food was hurting and cramping by the end of it....but it happened.

Hopefully you'll hear a Bike MS report from me in June.

Comment

Originally posted by Marinadca View Post
                  So the good news...I have signed up for Bike MS this year, no sitting on the sidelines this time.

The Eh news.... I signed up for a ride about 2 hours away because the ride close by was moved this year and the route is VERY hilly. Who knows, maybe I will be up for the huge hills by then but decided I could actually hope to complete and enjoy the ride a bit further away. I am kinda meeeeh about this but of well.

The great news: After 2 months of set backs (healthwise but not MS thankfully) I am feeling better though way weaker then I was when I got sick to begin with. I am back to walking, using the elliptical and last night I got on my bike again for the first time. It was only 20 minutes, this was the goal with no speed or distance goals, and my right food was hurting and cramping by the end of it....but it happened.

Hopefully you'll hear a Bike MS report from me in June.
                  Yeay for you Marina! I don't know, with all our assorted challenges with riding, it would be rather interesting if we lived close enough to ride as a team....interesting, amusing, supportive.... Dave, of course, you would be the Cap'n! I vote for a ride without a time limit.....

And Larry, I not only have to position myself for the side plank as you described ( glad to hear it is a common issue for at least SOME of us...) but I have to have the right foot (when on my right side, which is the weaker..) up against a wall or furniture leg. I just Heave Ho with it and try to control the up and down to some degree..not always successful with that, but it has gotten me able to do the full instead of just from my knee . Not a pretty sight, though!

Comment

Marina, you've persuaded me to sign up for Bike MS today! Mine is also in June.

Had to change up my routine, just couldn't do it all and that seemed to lead to not doing much of it. The new routine, which is working well so far, is doing weights twice a week and core once a week separated by at least one day, then the next week doing core twice and weights once. It allows extra time for recovery. Between the core and weight days is cycling or spinning or whatever the weather will allow.

I've lost a lot of strength over the holidays and probably due to the flu but I'm starting to see it come back. While it's discouraging to see how much I've lost, at the same time it is encouraging to see that it is coming back, albeit more slowly than I'd like.

One problem with trying to do all of this is when I go out to walk I find I'm fatigued from the start. Makes it difficult to make gains on the walking. Going to try doing more stretching on my walks, see if that helps.

V - I actually got THREE normal side planks on my weak side in the other day, not pretty but still.

Larry

Comment

Hi all,

Veronica, don't worry about spelling my name wrong. It happens all the time!

Marina, great to get your news and good for you (and Larry) to sign up for the ride. I'll be joining you in my dreams.

I'm working with a new physio and it's going well. We're concentrating on functional strengthening such as sit to stand, standing balance, weight shifting and so far so good. I have to say, I find it exhausting. After a session, I organize my work and sit at my desk with a drink and a snack. Last week, it took a full 5-6 hours before I perked up.

Swimming is amazing. Now up to 6 times a week and starting to think about next summer's swims.

Dave, last weekend my ski was for you. I need help getting them on, but went a little further, didn't fall-caught myself in time (my friend said "good reflexes!), felt the sliding motion was a little smoother. I was able to slide them rather than trying to pick them up like snowshoes.

Larry, I like your alternating routine. Regarding walking, what about a chill down before heading out. I put on my ice vest 30 minutes before leaving work.

Take care all,

Teena Marie

Comment

Hey All,

Marina, I'm all signed up for the MS 150. I checked off the first day century option, like always, but only because I don't have to really commit until the 60 mile mark at the century turn-off. Our MS 150 is convenient that way. Looks like both of our rides are in June.

TM, 6 times a week on the swimming, WOW, sounds like you're way ahead of schedule, nice job. Good point about the pre-cooling, not sure I could keep up with yours but seems like the least I could do is turn off the heater in the car when I'm on my way to the park for a walk, maybe even open a window. I find the better rested I am, the better I can walk, up to about 2 miles. It seems to have a lot to do with fatigue levels, certainly neural fatigue and probably muscular too. It occurs to me that a bright young physiologist could make a career out of studying the different types and effects of fatigue.

Hey V, got 6 more or less regular side planks on my weak side once this week, a new record! Had to brace against the wall but didn't bring the top leg over right away.

I hope we have turned the corner on the bitter cold here, I do sooo much better with my cycling schedule when I can get outside. Only got 2 hours of cycling in this week, one day of weight training, 2 days of core work, yoga for stretching twice and one day of heavy duty snow shoveling. Although I didn't even get close to my goal of 6 hours on a bike by end of January, it was still a big week on the exercise front, so I'm not terribly disappointed. Next goal is 8 hours of cycling by end of February.

Good luck all,

Larry
                        Last edited by AMFADVENTURES; 02-02-2015, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Larry, I am envious of your side plank accomplishments.....It is amazing to me that at times I have to do it on the stronger side first to remember how I have to even position my body as it just feels so foreign. I find that I can do a modified side plank and lift my top arm up and feel it in the torso, but the full side plank I don't even feel it yet where I should....a work in progress for sure!

Spinning on the trike on the trainer is getting into a routine ( finally), and I actually enjoy it...Been listening to NPR's podcast of Serial during my spins, and only allowing myself to listen to this when on the trike....works well for getting a good 45 minutes in...just running out of episodes soon, so I've gotta find something else that is timed.....I am motivated and pretty self disciplined, but having an external time keeper has helped me not wimp out ....

These past two weeks have found me working a lot from home for long stretches at a time....I have been inundated with reports and computer work, and with the snow, cold, the fact that I can remote access from home, I've chosen to do this. I was having an issue with sitting for such periods of time and would just have an overwhelming desire to MOVE when I would get up to take breaks. I knew that using the treadmill or the trainer to spin would break my needed concentration. So I got out my HULA HOOP! Boy, does this do the trick...It has allowed me to take a good MOVING break, work a little on core and balance, gets my heart rate up, and shakes the sedentary blahs out of me....and reminds me to find the fun in the moment!

Comment

I should post this in the walking thread but I'm so excited I've just got to do it now!

FINALLY, I got a personal trainer. I've been looking for months but couldn't find one who looked like they could deal with a declining 60 something who's had MS for 20+ years but wants to be as active as he can be for as long as possible. I don't blame them really, who wants to take on someone like that when there are so many young hard bodies around who are capable of so much more?

But I found one. She's about my age, is a physical therapist as well as a personal trainer, has experience with PWMS and in fact prefers to work with persons with disabilities. I can't wait to start! Walking/hiking is going to be my focus even at the expense of cycling. She has already mentioned interval training for walking, we're on the same wave length. Perfect!

It's a new adventure and I can't wait!

Larry

Comment

This is the most fantastic news, Larry! I just started working with a new physio who has good experience with MS. I'm cautiously optimistic. It's been an incredible challenge to find the right person. Keep us posted.

Veronica, I love the hoola hoop. What a great idea. I'm sure my neighbours would love it! Just something else to add to the mix living beside me and all my antics.

Comment

Working...
                              X