Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

STUDY: Physical Activity & Health-Related Quality of Life Over Time in Adults With MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STUDY: Physical Activity & Health-Related Quality of Life Over Time in Adults With MS

Rehabil Psychol. 2014 Aug 25. [Epub ahead of print]

Physical Activity and Health-Related Quality of Life Over Time in Adults With Multiple Sclerosis.

Motl RW, McAuley E.

Abstract

Objective: This prospective panel study examined the relationship between changes in physical activity and health-related quality of life (HRQOL) across a 6-month period in persons with multiple sclerosis (MS).

Method: Adults with a definite diagnosis of MS completed a battery of questionnaires that included the Godin Leisure-Time Exercise Questionnaire (Godin & Shephard, 1985) and the 36-item Medical Outcomes Study Short-Form Health Survey (SF-36; Ware & Sherbourne, 1992) at baseline (n = 292) and 6-month follow-up (n = 276). The data were analyzed using panel analysis in Mplus 6.0.

Results: The panel model represented an acceptable fit for the data (χ2 = 140.72, df = 56, standardized root mean square residual = 0.06, comparative fit index = 0.98). The standardized path coefficients were statistically significant between follow-up physical activity and follow-up Physical Function (β = .12, p < .005), Role-Emotional (β = .16, p < .01), Vitality (β = .13, p < .001), and Social Function (β = .12, p < .05). Those who reported a change (increase or decrease) in levels of physical activity over 6 months reported a change (improving or worsening, respectively) in HRQOL on 4 of 8 domains on the SF-36, independent of disability status, MS clinical course and duration, age, and sex.

Conclusion: The observed pattern of relationships supports the possibility that changing physical activity through an intervention might yield desirable changes in HRQOL, particularly domains representing the mental component.

Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

I do find when I work out, I'm in a better space mentally. Does that happen to others?
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Comment

Working...
    X