Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

STUDY: High intensity training may reverse the fiber type specific decline in MSers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STUDY: High intensity training may reverse the fiber type specific decline in MSers

High intensity training may reverse the fiber type specific decline in myogenic stem cells in multiple sclerosis patients

I. Wens1, J. Farup2, C. Keytsman1, B.O. Eijnde1, U. Dalgas2
    1Hasselt University, Diepenbeek, Belgium, 2Aarhus University, Aarhus, Denmark

Background: Multiple sclerosis (MS) is associated with loss of skeletal muscle mass and function. The myogenic stem cells (satellite cells - SCs) are instrumental for accretion of additional nuclei to the post-mitotic muscle cells, but remains to be investigated in MS.

Objectives: The present study compared the SC and myonuclei content between MS patients (n=23) and age matched healthy controls (HC, n=18). Furthermore, the effects of 12 weeks of high intensity training on SC and myonuclei content were explored in MS.

Methods: Muscle biopsies were obtained from m. Vastus Lateralis at baseline (MS+HC) and following 12 weeks of training (MS only). Frozen biopsies were sectioned followed by immunohistochemical analysis for fiber type specific SCs (Pax7+), myonuclei (MN) and central nuclei content and fiber cross-sectional area (fCSA) using ATPase histochemistry.

Results: At baseline the SCs/fiber was lower in type II compared to type I fiber in both MS (119%, p< 0.01) and HC (69%, p< 0.05), whereas the SCs/fCSA was lower in type II fibers compared to type I only in MS (72%, p< 0.05). No differences were observed in MN or central nuclei between MS and HC. Following training the type II fiber SCs per fiber and fCSA in MS patients increased by 165% (p< 0.05) and 135% (p< 0.05), respectively. Furthermore, the type II fiber MN content increased by 35% (p< 0.05) following training.

Conclusions: In conclusion, the SC content is lower in type II compared to type I fibers in both MS and HC. Furthermore, high intensity training was observed to selectively increase the SC and myonuclei content in type II fibers in MS patients.
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Yes, I'm glad someone is researching the effect of exercise on. MS! Maybe this will lead to a greater focus on helping MSers stay as strong as possible with long term PT. But Can I ask a science wiz out there to help me understand the implications of this study???. I think "muscle fiber I "are slow twitch and "muscle fiber Ii" are fast twitch. So was it a surprise that several weeks of exercise improved the latter? Obviously it was important to find out, or they wouldn't have subjected people to muscle biopsies. Would this help support using Functional Electrical Stimulation for mobile MSers? (This is my new special interest). What do you think this study is getting at?

Comment

Working...
    X