MS expert: (very) straight talk on how to get started exercising

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MS expert: (very) straight talk on how to get started exercising

ActiveMSers received the following blunt e-mail about how to start an exercise program from contributor Dr. Ken Seaman, an expert in multiple sclerosis physical therapy. Read his bio here: http://www.activemsers.org/about/contributors.html

--------------------

Before suggesting any exercise program, I always start with the third floor. Where is your head in all this? If your brain is not doing the first push up for you, then we have to start at ground zero. Meditate (I like transcendental meditation). Listen, I tell all my folks that, yes, it really sucks that you have this crap thing called MS. So first thing in morning take a cold shower, meditate, stretch a bit, and then take your head out for the pity party.

I mean this seriously. You deserve one—you were dealt a bad set of cards. After the head walk, get your big-girl panties on and get on with it. You can be part of the problem or part of the solution. Abe Lincoln used to say that a man is about as happy as he wants to be. Or she wants to be. Here are four other bits of advice.

Stretch (no crap, seriously, I mean it)! Buy Bob Anderson’s book of stretching (see my article at ActiveMSers, http://www.activemsers.org/exercises...etchoften.html) and stretch every day. Never bounce and hold all stretches for 30 seconds one time only and laugh after each!

Be mindful of your temperature! Are you taking showers greater than 82 degrees? Are you getting into a hot tub of any kind? Are you wearing a cooling vest or using other cooling equipment (neck, wrist, etc.) to exercise in? Where are you exercising (outdoors, indoors)—is it contributing to overheating?

Chill out! Are you under a lot of stress? In my experience, that will get you into a wheelchair faster than all the exacerbations in the world. That’s why meditation and maintaining a clear head are so important.

Get that damn awful looking roundness out of your shoulders, girl! Sit up and stand up straight. Be proud of who you are.

I've been working with this MS thing for 32 years. So listen up when I say something. 1) because it's free and 2) I know what I'm talking about (and even if I don't, you'll never know). So go girl. There is no luck here. It's all in your hands. Peace, serenity and all that stuff, but get to it TODAY.

God bless you and above all remember that take off is optional—landing is not! So Take OFF, you have wings, they are just a little rusty, that’s all.

—Dr. Ken, PT, DPT, MA, ACE Personal Trainer, Member of Jimmie Heuga Medical Staff
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

BTW, Ken would be happy to answer specific questions on this topic as time allows. So feel free to post them here.
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Comment

Forgot this group was available so thanks for the reminder Dave. Gotta use all the tools to help in this battle.

I loved the ***Get that damn awful looking roundness out of your shoulders, girl! Sit up and stand up straight. Be proud of who you are. **** and I did thankyouverymuch immediately upon reading it.

I have just started a stretching program of my own design, not really knowing to best way, and so I might have to invest in the stretching book.

Thanks for the info!

Comment

Working Out_ Question

Thanks for this great website. I love the focus on being active rather than down for the count. My question is, after my second major relapse, I find myself so much more tired after working out. I worked with a PT on a program that is great, but it is hard to not let it wipe me out for the day. If I keep pressing into a workout, will I build endurance like I used to? Or will I end up just always feeling wiped out like I do now?

Comment

Working...
        X