Recumbent Bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recumbent Bike

I saw something that Dave wrote on the blog not long ago about biking and it really got me interested.

Right now, I have a VERY hard time walking for any length of time. Between the lack of strength I have in my right hip flexor and the ever so fun foot drop, walking has become something I do out of necessity and that's about it. So, doing much of any exercise is out of the question because the strength just isn't there. I've contemplated getting a stationary recumbent bike to start exercising this winter when I can't go outside.

Do you think a recumbent bike could help me gain strength and flexibility in my legs and hip flexors or is it a misguided dream? Losing weight would be nice too, but strength is what I really need.

Go for it.

I have difficulty walking for the same reasons. I purchased a Terra Trike thinking I could ride with my niece's Bike MS Team. After three months I was able to ride the last 5 miles with my team. I started in July and rode 300 miles last year. Freedom is the best word to describe it. My husband says he loves it because I can't stop smiling. So go for it, it is definitely worth a try. My MS is not better but I am. (Make sure you Velcro or tape your foot to the pedal).

Comment

922, I always recommend equipment that can help you stay active. But I'm not sure a stationary recumbent bike is going to achieve what you want. This is a better question for a PT I think.

Regularly using an exercise bike will no doubt improve your endurance in biking, but I'm not so sure about straight up leg strength. I'll ping Herb, as this could be a future article topic.

As far as exercise bikes, I prefer those that use both arms and legs, like the Schwinn Airdyne (I have a Lamar). They are not recumbent, but if you can safely get on the seat, they are more versatile, allowing you to use just arms, just legs, or both. I find them ideal for exercise when leg strength is lacking to maintain a high cadence.
      Dave Bexfield
      ActiveMSers

Comment

I was talking with my PT sis, and she said if a bike helps you exercise, two thumbs up. And you will gain strength obviously in addition to endurance. It may not translate directly to walking, but if you work with a PT, he or she could give you supplemental exercises to make it a winning combo.
        Dave Bexfield
        ActiveMSers

Comment

What Dave said, in spades! I was just explaining to a new PT about how I can bike for hours and hours but can't walk for even a single hour. I never thought that the biking contributed to my walking ability but who knows, if I didn't bike, maybe I couldn't walk at all.

Do whatever you can for as long as you can!

Comment

Working...
          X