Bike MS 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kissing the pavement- new cleats

I had a steep learning curve when I first transitioned into cleats. I recently changed to Speedplays and had a bit more difficulty. Practice on grass for a while until you become more comfortable. It hurts less to fall.
    You will get it before long. It's great that the pressure in your hands is relieved.

Pell

Comment

3/5/12

Marina, Yeah, the advantage of the road pedals, once you get clipped into them, is that they provide a more stable, secure platform so you worry less about coming out of them when you really need them, like on a steep climb. The disadvantage of the road pedals is that, once you clip into them, they are so much more secure you might have a harder time getting out of them when you really need to, like at a stoplight. Pells idea is really good but even then, you can probably expect a few bumps and bruises for a while. Try to prepare for your stops in advance, unclip a little early and if you do fall over and you get any crap from bikers around you, just remember, they have ALL been there. And one other thing, try to arrange to fall on your left side, away from the rear derailuer, you can get into real trouble if you accidentally bend the derailuer hanger (voice of experience speaking there). Also, don’t get rid of your MTB stuff, I still use mine on the Tour de Tucson because they are so much easier to walk across the arroyos in.

I’m currently trying to figure out nutrition for training for and completing an ultra endurance event like the “Triple”, already found several things I’m going to have to improve on.

Got 31 miles in 2:20 with 15 to 20 mph winds yesterday. Looks like a few good days ahead if you can accept wind as just a fact of life.

Comment

Thanks for sharing guys.

I think I am psyching myself out because I just really want to revert back to the old set up. I am wondering how safe these will be for me. Then again, everyone else seems to do fine...so maybe not.

Comment

3/11/2012

Got 81 miles in 6.5 hours last week including 1350 ft of sustained ascent on Saturday and 2200 ft. in 10 to 15 mph headwinds on Sunday. Shooting for at least 3000 ft. sustained by end of the month. The climbing has begun!

I love my new bike! The circles my buddy rides around me are fewer and shorter this year.

Anybody getting any riding time outside?

Larry

Comment

Great job Larry

Wow- great riding.
            I have been recovering from the crud.
            We rode 33 miles on Friday in a stiff wind. Today I headed out alone but felt awful so I turned around after just a couple of miles.
            We did get out kitchen back this week. It has been great cooking healthy meals again.
            I am going to ride frequently, but I am really focusing on losing at least 10#.

I seem to have lost my drive to get better. I just feel like riding the tandem. I need to find my motivation again.

Pell

Comment

Pell, congrats on getting your kitchen back, don't know how you made it so long with out it. I don't doubt you're motivation for cycling is flagging a bit, but I'm sure whatever you can manage will help relieve some of the stress of everything you've got going on there. I kind of have the opposite problem, the cycling is the thing I get most excited about and I'm going to have to crank it up every month for the next 4 months at the risk of not getting much else done. The weather is getting nice too, that helps the cycling.

Later

Comment

Did 2 rides today, 19 miles in 1:45 and 2200 ft ascent in the AM, 19 miles in 1:40 and 1800 ft ascent in the PM. Total 38 miles, 4000 ft ascent. Cadence and speed sucked, HR avg probably over 160, hard to tell because of all of the spikes picked up on the downhill, PM ride was tough. Still want to do a 3000+ ft continuous ascent before the end of the month. Next month, 5000 ft continuous ascent.

Will try to do 1.5 hrs of light spinning tomorrow. For now, couch patrol.

I'm toast,

Comment

Hi Larry,

that is incredible stamina! Well done! Here is another terrifying bike video. For some reason, you came to mind, lol.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/...115621735.html

Stella

Comment

Originally posted by Stella View Post
                    Hi Larry,

that is incredible stamina! Well done! Here is another terrifying bike video. For some reason, you came to mind, lol.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/...115621735.html

Stella
                    Ahh Stella, I'm still ROFL. So glad you're there.

But unfortunately was not able to see the video. Something about "not available in my area". Stuff like that always rings up the conspiracy theorist in me, but I imagine it’s just some legalese to do with Eurosport or Yahoo.

How are things anyway, have you been able to get back into any routines?

Larry

Comment

3/25/2012

Got 108 mi. in 7.5 hours this week including one 1800 ft sustained climb. Routine medical maintenance got in the way of the 3000 ft. climb this week but should be able to get it in before end of the month. Pretty much on target with the training schedule so far.

Not loving the climb quite yet but getting closer. Know what I really do love though? I love that afternoon nap that commences within a couple of hours of finishing the last long ride of a tough week. That’s got to be one of the best things life has to offer!

The ride goes on,

Comment

4/1/2012

Got 130 miles in 10 hours this week including a 3,800 ft. climb on the last day of March (there is still a lot of snow above 10,000 ft.). Next week will be a recovery week, about 4 hours of easy cycling then work toward a 5,000 ft climb before end of April. Training is on target.

Still not quite loving the climb but getting closer. The weather sure has been nice.

AMF

Comment

the ride

Hi, I just joined ActiveMSusers and was drawn to the bike MS 2012. After reading many of the posts I felt like I had come home. I was an active cyclist for years, my husband and I had logged thousands of miles of the years and completed some wonderful group rides.I remember talking with friends and family about how many miles I had rode, future rides, my lastest adventure in escaping a determined dog or unfriendly motorist, I really miss it! That all began to fall apart with mysterious symtoms that would finally lead to a diagnois of PPMS. My beloved red cannondale now sits in my basement attatched to a trainer. Getting in the saddle unaided is difficult and clipping in and out of my pedals is equally intresting. But I have faith that I will be able to get back in the saddle and back on the road! until then I will enjoy hearing from those that can enjoy the ride.

Comment

Originally posted by saab9000 View Post
                            Hi, I just joined ActiveMSusers and was drawn to the bike MS 2012. After reading many of the posts I felt like I had come home. I was an active cyclist for years, my husband and I had logged thousands of miles of the years and completed some wonderful group rides.I remember talking with friends and family about how many miles I had rode, future rides, my lastest adventure in escaping a determined dog or unfriendly motorist, I really miss it! That all began to fall apart with mysterious symtoms that would finally lead to a diagnois of PPMS. My beloved red cannondale now sits in my basement attatched to a trainer. Getting in the saddle unaided is difficult and clipping in and out of my pedals is equally intresting. But I have faith that I will be able to get back in the saddle and back on the road! until then I will enjoy hearing from those that can enjoy the ride.
                            Saab9000,
                            You are sooooo spot on and you describe it perfectly!! It is indeed all of those things and more. In fact, you’ve brought to mind an incident that happened a few weeks ago that I wrote in my journal but, until now, have not related here.

One of my good bike buddies and I were doing an easy ride when we came up against an extensive trail closure for construction. To make the best of the situation I suggested we ride through the neighborhoods and I would show my buddy the house I grew up in. It was only a couple of miles and we were there in no time and as we stood over our bikes looking at the old house, the owner came out asking if he could help us. I explained that I was born in this house and grew up here some sixty odd years ago whereupon the owner insisted we come in. That was the first time in the last 25 or 30 years that I got to spend a little time in the house I grew up in.

That was pretty neat but the adventure wasn’t entirely over yet. As we meandered our way through various neighborhoods back to the part of the trail we knew was open, I noticed a delivery truck pass by us a couple of times. At one point, we stopped for a moment to admire the architecture of an old Victorian mansion at which time the same delivery truck pulled up alongside us. The driver, another 60+ old guy, had noticed the jersey I was wearing which was from an event he had also done in a different year. So we stood there in the middle of the street for about 15 minutes, delivery truck and bikes, talking about that and a number of other bike rides we’d done around the country.

They are small things I know but meaningful, at least to me, and they might not have happened at all except for the bikes.

Thank you for your very uplifting post and if you don’t mind my asking, would you tell me what your favorite ride has been?
                            Last edited by AMFADVENTURES; 04-05-2012, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Favorite ride

My favorite ride was called Border Raiders. It was an epic seven day, 500+ plus miles, four state trip. It started in Lawerance Kansas went through Nebraska, Iowa, Missouri, and then back in to Kansas. Border Raiders encommpassed two of my favorite things cycling and history. This ride lead us through states and towns that were piviotal in the pre-civil war events that lead to the war.
                              We attended the first year of the event so the event planners were still working out the kinks, still it was by far the best vacation I have ever had. Events were preaggarnged for us in every town so museums,historic venues, speeches, and tours were all available as well as lodging.
                              If I remember correctly there was slightly more than 100 cyclist and many more people that ran the sag stops and followed us through the entire course. During the course of the trip my husband and I formed friendships and cycling alliances with many like- minded cycling soles.

Comment

Thanks Saab9000, I like the idea of bike rides with themes, historical, scenic, wine country, this is the last year for these endurance climbing marathons that I've been doing.

Training is still on schedule. Had an easy week last week, about 5.5 hours, 80 miles, not much ascent.

I ordered my "I Ride With MS" jersey today. They want a picture and a story. A story I can write, boy, they might regret asking for that. The picture I've got. Wanna see?

The ride continues,
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by AMFADVENTURES; 04-10-2012, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X