ActiveMSers Forums  

Go Back   ActiveMSers Forums > ActiveMSers.org Forums > MS Fitness

Old 03-28-2013, 10:00 AM
MS Whisperer

Vision going fuzzy is often related to overheating and so are jello legs. Is there any way you could rest and cool down after-pour some cold water over you and get in front of a fan before you head off on your bike.

On the pre-cooling-in the summer, before going to the beach, on a hot day, I have a cold bath, put on my ice vest, drive to the beach with the A/C blasting, pour a bottle of cold water over me, and then I'm able to climb over the dunes and a long walk across the hot beach to the water. Otherwise, I melt. Literally. And have to be dragged to the water.

Teena Marie
Old 03-29-2013, 11:22 AM
MS Whisperer

Thanks for the suggestions, the blurriness and Jello legs drive me nuts, I have not tried pouring a water bottle over myself, but hey anything is worth a try!!
Old 03-29-2013, 12:21 PM
Optimistic Misfit

Question: does everyone with MS have heat sensitivity to this degree? The reason I wonder is because I still have a hard time understanding/believing that I just got MS on November 8th, all of the sudden. Last summer was our hottest on record, temps over 100 many days, no rain, high humidity and I was still able to be outside as much as everyone else I am around. I'm typically freezing, HATE running central air, love heat, love summer. If I have sensitivity to the degree some have mentioned, that will be the biggest thing MS has taken from me! It's bad enough that the shots have made wearing shorts pretty much unthinkable in public...
I haven't tried a hot tub yet because I am afraid but I do take baths on occasion and warm showers.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:04 PM
MS Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by HETA78 View Post
Question: does everyone with MS have heat sensitivity to this degree? The reason I wonder is because I still have a hard time understanding/believing that I just got MS on November 8th, all of the sudden. Last summer was our hottest on record, temps over 100 many days, no rain, high humidity and I was still able to be outside as much as everyone else I am around. I'm typically freezing, HATE running central air, love heat, love summer. If I have sensitivity to the degree some have mentioned, that will be the biggest thing MS has taken from me! It's bad enough that the shots have made wearing shorts pretty much unthinkable in public...
I haven't tried a hot tub yet because I am afraid but I do take baths on occasion and warm showers.
Heat sensitivity might be one of the more common symptoms associated with MS but it does NOT follow that just because you have been diagnosed with MS that you will experience any of even the most common symptoms. Frequently, symptoms are a matter of degree anyway, not an absolute on or off.

Also, if you do experience some strange symptom, DON'T automatically assume it is MS related. MSers are just as prone to other maladies as anyone.

IMHO, there are a number of MS forums around which concentrate on identifying every possible symptom that might or might not be MS related. I find that a very negative approach to dealing with the disease. I like this forum much better because the people here talk about and do things to get past the disease, a much more possitive approach to dealing with this disease for both mind and body.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:05 AM
Dave @ ActiveMSers

How is the precooling experiment going, Marina? When my vision got wonky due to the heat, I just followed my wife on my bike. You could call her my "seeing-eye wife." It worked well and she would just holler when we were clear to pass. Distance vision was sketchy and that can be pretty scary. Frequent breaks and cooling helped me.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:46 AM
Optimistic Misfit

I don't get jello legs or vision problems in heat. I get an overwhelming need to lie down and may be nauseated.

Funny thing is I can use the sauna at the gym and love it. I go in for 15-30 mins and then come out to cool off instantly and I'm ok. Maybe the sauna is ok because I'm just lying there doing nothing but sweating. But, if I try to run on a hot day I will be so stiff and exhausted.

My neuro said some people do better in heat and the thing to watch out for is personal safety.

I'm thinking of a cooling vest or one of those water activated cooling towels/shirts for summer. At least in Seattle I don't have to worry much about excessive heat. 70 degrees is pretty hot for me.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:04 PM
MS Sage

Default Variable response to heat

For me, the response to heat is variable. Some days, the heats caused the jello legs or lead legs, other days, it doesn't bother me too much. Although I am somewhat weaker on hot days, I can still ride my bike in the heat.
Two years ago, on the MS ride here in Kentucky, one day my bike thermometer never registered below 100 and I was the strongest rider on my team and the only one with MS.
Last week, after riding over 130 miles the weekend before, I went out for a short ride and due to warmer temperatures, I almost didn't make it. I do wear arm coolers and squirt water on them often. I also drink a lot to cool my core.
So, don't assume that the heat will bother you. Also, acclimate yourself to the heat and you can tolerate more and more.

Pell
Old 06-20-2013, 10:45 AM
Optimistic Misfit

Update: So I did sit in the hot tub at my moms. I felt like a Saturday night in the middle of no where would be a pretty good time to test it out. There were plenty of people around should I need help. I had to sit on the rim a few times to cool off a bit but I've always been that way. After I got out, I stayed out on the cool deck to dry off before changing into my PJ's. Drank some water and slept just fine. No problems at all!

I seem to be tolerating the heat ok so far. We had one day last week that was very hot and humid and I felt pretty crappy for a while. Mostly had cognitive issues...hard time coming up with my words and all that. I also had the fuzzy vision and there was no way I was going to walk my dog unassisted that night. It wasn't awful though. I was able to be outside doing yard work the next day.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:23 PM
Optimistic Misfit

Both my legs go numb after about 20 minutes on the bike. I tend to cycle around the coastal backroads where the temps are mostly 55-65 degrees F., no matter what time of year. It takes about 45 minutes for them to "come back". This has happened for years, and I just don't pay it any mind any more. I can still ride, even when my legs are numb, and I can still get my shoes out of the SPDs. I have some trouble dismounting, and I usually do my dismount onto a bench or kerb, and sit there drinking my cool water until things get more normal. It's amazing how muscle memory works. I wish I could say the same for playing my guitar in the heat, or when I'm fatigued. The fingers just don't cooperate!
Old 09-22-2013, 12:57 PM
Junior Optimistic Misfit

Calf cramp induced by body heat -

I have had MS for 10 years and have been pretty lucky with my symtoms. I am an avid bike rider and know that I can't go cycling when it is above 90 degrees because I overheat and come apart. In the last 1-2 years I have become much more sensitive to muscle cramps in my right calf after biking anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour. I have always combatted this issue by trying to drink more water/energy drink but recently I started to wear a cooling vest (even if it when it is not hot) and I am able to push myself and not cramp. In the past, I would cramp even though I didn't feel hot and didn't have any other MS systems. Just curious if anyone out there has seen a correlation between mild body heat and muscle cramps. I'm still trying to figure this out and have never read any informaiton about exercise cramps.

I also do some cross country skiing (Minnesota) and realized that I have never cramped even though I have gone skiing (easy) for up to an hour.

Appreciate hearing your comments.