X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a high salt diet bad for MS? New research questions that theory

Journal of Neuroinflammation

Published: 24 January 2020

High-salt diet does not boost neuroinflammation and neurodegeneration in a model of α-synucleinopathy

Antonio Heras-Garvin, Violetta Refolo, Markus Reindl, Gregor K. Wenning & Nadia Stefanova
    Journal of Neuroinflammation volume 17, Article number: 35 (2020)

Abstract

Aim
    Pre-clinical studies in models of multiple sclerosis and other inflammatory disorders suggest that high-salt diet may induce activation of the immune system and potentiate inflammation. However, high-salt diet constitutes a common non-pharmacological intervention to treat autonomic problems in synucleinopathies such as Parkinson’s disease and multiple system atrophy. Since neuroinflammation plays an important pathogenic role in these neurodegenerative disorders, we asked here whether high-salt diet may aggravate the disease phenotype in a transgenic model of multiple system atrophy.

Methods
    Nine-month-old PLP-hαSyn and matched wildtype mice received normal or high-salt diet for a period of 3 months. Behavioral, histological, and molecular analyses were performed to evaluate the effect of high-salt diet on motor decline, neuroinflammation, neurodegeneration, and α-synuclein accumulation in these mice.

Results
    Brain subregion-specific molecular and histological analyses showed no deleterious effects of high-salt diet on the level of microglial activation. Moreover, neuroinflammation-related cytokines and chemokines, T cell recruitment or astrogliosis were unaffected by high-salt diet exposure. Behavioral testing showed no effect of diet on motor decline. High-salt diet was not related to the deterioration of neurodegeneration or α-synuclein accumulation in PLP-hαSyn mice.

Conclusions
    Here, we demonstrate that high-salt diet does not aggravate neuroinflammation and neurodegeneration in PLP-hαSyn mice. Our findings discard a deleterious pro-neuroinflammatory effect of high-salt diet in multiple system atrophy.
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Maybe I misunderstood something, but isn't a high salt diet bad for anyone, ms or not? I figure we have enough going against us that we should live as well as we can. Within reason.....I'm eating pizza and drinking beer right now, I mean c'mon, we still gotta enjoy life!

Comment

Once again, proper nutrition is an enigma. Margerine anyone? I noticed There is a Himalayan pink salt store in my area. I was surprised it would have enough patrons to be it's only product. I do think salt is an essential nutrient and humans need a certain amount, similar to animals using a salt lick??? And I did buy some Himalayan salt for fun, not sure if I get immune boost from using it. I sprinkle a minute amt in my water glass.

Comment

Link to article on benefits of Himalayan pink salt

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/sole-water

Comment

Working...
        X