No announcement yet.

STUDY: High-intensity interval exercise improves cognitive performance in MSers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STUDY: High-intensity interval exercise improves cognitive performance in MSers

High-intensity interval exercise improves cognitive performance and reduces matrix metalloproteinases-2 serum levels in persons with multiple sclerosis: A randomized controlled trial

Philipp Zimmer, Wilhelm Bloch, Alexander Schenk, ...

First Published August 21, 2017 Research Article

Abstract

Background:
    Aerobic exercise can improve cognitive performance in healthy elderly people.

Objective:
    The aim of this study was to investigate the influence of a 3-week high-intensity aerobic exercise programme (high-intensity training group (HIT)) on cognitive performance in persons with multiple sclerosis (MS) compared with a standard exercise programme (control training (CT)).

Methods:
    A total of 60 persons with MS (Expanded Disability Status Scale (EDSS): 1.0–6.5) were randomized to a HIT group (3×/week for 20 minutes, including five 3-minute exercise intervals at 80% of peak oxygen uptake (VO2-peak)) or a CT group (continuously 5×/week for 30 minutes/session at 65% of VO2-peak). Cognitive performance was assessed using the Brief International Cognitive Assessment for MS at entry (t0) and discharge (t1). Furthermore, VO2-peak, brain-derived neurotrophic factor, serotonin and matrix metalloproteinases (MMP)-2 and -9 were measured.

Results:
    Compared to CT, HIT significantly improved verbal memory. Significant improvements over time in executive functions were found in both groups. Secondary outcomes indicated significant improvements in VO2-peak and a significant reduction in MMP-2 in the HIT group only.

Conclusion:
    HIT represents a promising strategy to improve verbal memory and physical fitness in persons with MS. Further research is needed to determine the impact of exercise on biomarkers in MS.

Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Who here has found HIIT has helped with cognition? I can't be the only one. Also, anyone try HIIT and not have any success? Just curious.
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Comment

I am certain that HIIT does influence cognition as well as fatigue and probably can help delay disability as well. I'll give you a personal anecdote.

Late last year I developed a serious abdominal infection which resulted in emergency surgery, a loss of 8" of colon and a 9 inch abdominal incision. It was a very painful and nearly imobilizing experience. The most exercise I got was walking a few hundred yards a couple of times per week for 3 months. In the 4th month I went to see my neuro.

My neuro always gives me the symbol digit test. The symbol digit test is one of the tests administered to gage cognitive decline. I've done that test more times than I've done an mri so I'm pretty familiar with how far down the list of symbol digit correlation I normally get and it has been pretty consistent for years, until this particular appointment. At this particular appointment, my cog fog level was, and had been, considerably above normal and I know I completed a good 30% fewer symbol digit correlations in the allotted time.

As pwms go, I might be considered an exercise fanatic and HIIT's are a regular part of my routine. Even among unimpaired individuals I might be at the higher end of the exercise spectrum. I am certain that the fact that I could not exercise for 3 months led to a significant decline in my cognitive state and the cog fog might have been an expression of that.

It's almost a year later now and I am back to pre surgery levels of exercise. The cog fog is gone, most of my strength has returned and although I haven't taken another symbol digit test yet, I'm sure I will be back to previous levels when I do.

While I kind of doubt this is entirely unique to pwms, I am certain it is much more critical for us.

Comment

For sure I don't feel the same if I spend more then a week or so without HIIT, even that I probably do only a 1/4 of exercises that AMF does. Fatigue is probably the # 1 benefit then cog fog and for the cognition, I have been doing for many years the Lumosity brain game daily (thanks Dave, I started when you introduced it) but I never look for a correlation, so I will try to do tha now.

Comment

Here's a link to the full article. Will take me a bit to read and digest it all. Thanks Karen!

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...ntrolled_trial
          Dave Bexfield
          ActiveMSers

Comment

Working...
          X