Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try a tandem

Saab900-
    We have been cycling for 3 years but last year, after starting Gilenya, my VO2 dropped and so did my speed. I couldn't keep up on faster rides, so be got a tandem. Even tho I am not as strong, together we can ride really well. I don't clip in until my husband is standing astride the bike and holding it. I have all the time I need to clip in and clip out. This is the way all tandem riders do the start, but it is really good for those of us with issues.
    We are having a ball on the new bike. Really- give it some thought.

Pell
    Attached Files

Comment

4/15/12

Got a little over 8 hours for 110 miles this week including one 16 mile climb with a 3800 ft. ascent in 2.5 hours. The climb went well, there was only about 20 or 30 minutes of moderate struggling. I am finally starting to see progress but I did run out of energy towards the end of that climb. I also had a hard time yesterday, could have gone all day at an aerobic HR but had a very difficult time above that. Not sure if that was due to hydration, diet or fatigue, or all three. I may or may not do a little spinning today.

The importance of fueling is becoming obvious. There is no way to stay aerobic on the climbs, which means dipping into the anaerobic glycogen stores. The “Triple” will require a 6,000 to 8,000 calorie expenditure. Of that, maybe 2,500 to 3,000 can be replaced by fueling on route, the rest will have to come from body fat and glycogen stores.

I’ve already found out that the sweeter liquid mixes, like Accelerrade, are not going to work because they require too much water to process and water is not all that available on the climbs. The gels seem to work a little better although they also require quite a bit of water. Looks like I’ll be actively searching for the best fuels, or, more likely, combination of fuels to provide energy and replace the glycogen used on each of the 3 climbs.

The ride continues,

Comment

4/22/2012

160 miles in 11.7 hours with almost 6,000 ft. ascent for the week but the best single day was only 27 mi. and 3,200 ft. Will need to pick that up this week to something around 50 mi. and 5,000 ft. to stay on schedule.

Finding it difficult to breakthrough to the next level at the moment. On the positive side though, climbing speed is improving ever so slightly while heart rate required is declining. Don’t know if that is due to an improvement in cardiovascular system or pedal stroke efficiency, maybe both. Also have been paying a lot more attention to hydration and fueling.

Still, a long way to go though.

Have to say, it is really great to see so many MSers doing so much on this site right now. Good luck everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by AMFADVENTURES View Post
          Thanks Saab9000, I like the idea of bike rides with themes, historical, scenic, wine country, this is the last year for these endurance climbing marathons that I've been doing.

Training is still on schedule. Had an easy week last week, about 5.5 hours, 80 miles, not much ascent.

I ordered my "I Ride With MS" jersey today. They want a picture and a story. A story I can write, boy, they might regret asking for that. The picture I've got. Wanna see?

The ride continues,
          That was a great Picture. I regret that I have so few pictures of my cycling days. I remember training, My husband and I always kept track of miles, weather, time. Living in Kansas the terrain is normally flat so I never bothered to track that. My husband however enjoyed tracking every aspect of the ride and has a fancy bike computer that included an altitude reading that you could download to your computer. It was cool to look at the changes in altitude during a ride.

Comment

Originally posted by pawpaw View Post
            Saab900-
            We have been cycling for 3 years but last year, after starting Gilenya, my VO2 dropped and so did my speed. I couldn't keep up on faster rides, so be got a tandem. Even tho I am not as strong, together we can ride really well. I don't clip in until my husband is standing astride the bike and holding it. I have all the time I need to clip in and clip out. This is the way all tandem riders do the start, but it is really good for those of us with issues.
            We are having a ball on the new bike. Really- give it some thought.

Pell
            My husband and I have talked about getting a tandem, and recently I have thought about a recumbent,(although I doubt I have the strenght in my legs). A tandem would be the best bet and I am pretty sure I would be a happier soul if I could get back on a bike!

Comment

Originally posted by saab9000 View Post
              That was a great Picture. I regret that I have so few pictures of my cycling days. I remember training, My husband and I always kept track of miles, weather, time. Living in Kansas the terrain is normally flat so I never bothered to track that. My husband however enjoyed tracking every aspect of the ride and has a fancy bike computer that included an altitude reading that you could download to your computer. It was cool to look at the changes in altitude during a ride.
              Hey Saab,
              I don’t have so many pics either but I got lucky on this one. It was at the MS 150 in Santa Fe, NM and the horse just wanted to run with the bikes. You can kind of tell we were keeping an eye on each other, the horse was all over the road and he didn’t seem to appreciate being talked to about it. Fortunately some of my bike buddies are like that so the situation, although unique, didn’t present an unusual challenge.

The picture was taken as we approached a rest stop where one of the event photographers just happened to be ready and waiting. I live for moments like that, but was amazingly lucky to get this one on film.

I’m also a computer geek, how long, how far, how fast, how high, it’s all part of the fun.
              Last edited by AMFADVENTURES; 04-26-2012, 01:48 PM.

Comment

4/29/2012

9 hours, 114 miles and 7300 ft. of ascent for the week. Unfortunately the biggest single ascent was only 3900 ft., so didn’t make my 5000 ft. single ascent goal for the month. BUT, this particular hill was one my yoga teacher and I only tried once last year. It reduced her to tears and converted me to a stumbling mass of gasping protoplasm. This year….WE SMOKED IT!

MS 150 team jerseys are on the roads and trails everywhere here. Training is in full swing and it's great to be a part of!
                Last edited by AMFADVENTURES; 04-30-2012, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Great job Larry. You are definitely improving your fitness and biking stamina. It is rewarding to see year to year improvements.
                  I am still taking it easy on the all out effort until I get some guidance regarding the exercise. This exercise induced hypertension has me worried. There is a mouse study showing Gilenya effect on smooth muscle, so the possibility of this being a med effect is out there.
                  Pell

Comment

Originally posted by pawpaw View Post
                    I am still taking it easy on the all out effort until I get some guidance regarding the exercise. This exercise induced hypertension has me worried. There is a mouse study showing Gilenya effect on smooth muscle, so the possibility of this being a med effect is out there.
                    Pell
                    That is highly unfortunate for both you and Novartis but lucky you found out about it. Kudos to you and Canyon Ranch for checking, seems like in my 60+ years I’ve only had one stress test that MIGHT have checked BP under physical load.

While there are plenty of studies indicating the beneficial effects of both various DMD’s and exercise individually, there seems to be a dearth of information on the effects of both together, particularly in the case of more rigorous exercise.

Since both the DMD’s and exercise have differing immune system modulating effects, and since exercise is becoming more commonly accepted among neurologists as a beneficial therapy for MS, it seems like it is time for the medical industry to address this omission. Perhaps it is up to each of us, as persons with MS who are using physical activity and DMD’s to control our MS, to press the issue with our drug representatives, doctors and clinics. It certainly would be nice to have a little more concrete information.

Thank you Pell for sharing that,

Larry

Comment

5/6/2012

Got a little over 6 hours in last week, it was a badly needed recovery week, didn’t do hardly any climbing.

Finding myself in a severe motivational funk right now, but need to get going again very soon before I begin to loose conditioning. I know from experience that it is much more difficult to get it back than it is to loose it.

AMF

Comment

Out of that funk

Okay, Larry, out of your funk.
                        We managed 4 rides this week despite some challenges. My cat went postal and chewed up my hand. I had to keep it elevated so we have been on the tandem all week.
                        I hate climbing but on the tandem it is ugly. We rode 127 miles this week- minimal climbing. We have done some easy rides but today we managed 17.8mph for 50 miles. Hand is healing so I can get back on the single bike next week.
                        On the Gilenya -
                        Off of the med for 6 weeks and then an exercise tolerence test on the bike. We will see if the hypertension persists off the med. If it does, the doc wants to treat me for hypertension. That will be interesting given that my resting BP is 100/60.
                        Pell

Comment

5/14/2012

Got 107 mi. in a little over 7 hrs. with 5300 ft. of ascent last week. I need to do better this week although it will be a short week for me.

Nice job on the speed there Pell, you guys have always been fast. And thanks for the Gilenya/hypertension update, very interested in the results. Funny about the cat, ours did a similar thing to DW, cat’s been living outside since, must be something to do with springtime.

Anybody discover athletic tape yet? Great stuff for curling toes and weak wrists. Wish I knew how to tape an ankle.

Also Stella, I’ve discovered another advantage of a helmet cam, it keeps the cars a little more respectful. It’s been very noticeable how many more cars give me space when I have the helmet cam on. It doesn’t even have to be running! Speaking of which, here's an 8 to 11% descent on the cam, it was cold and gusty and I had a little trouble controlling the bike.
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43m0KDX-a-g

Off to spend some time on a sunny beach eating lobster and drinking Caribbean rum with my kids. Talk to you when I get back…. if I come back.

Born in the Rocky Mountains with a Caribbean soul,

AMF
                          Last edited by AMFADVENTURES; 05-14-2012, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Finally doing some riding-Yeah

Larry- have a great time in the Caribbean!

I have now been off the Gilenya for several weeks and my riding seems to be steadily improving. I am certainly enjoying it more. Yesterday and today I rode the single bike- not fast- but I had fun.

Larry- all I could think about during your videocam was riding up that hill.

Pell

Comment

Helmet Cam

Wow Larry, that is really an awesome video! It really is fantastic how the cars give you more space since the web cam. You can tell also on the video how you are not pushed for space on the road. It is quite scenic as well. Is it Colorado? I really enjoyed the video. Hopefully there is more to come? Here is another video I just ran across that I thought would interest you!

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/video/...nhill-run.html

Stella

Comment

Horsey Hundred report

Today we rode the 76mile version of the Horsey Hundred. We had 4hours 34 min of pedaling time, 5hours 55min total elapsed time, 5000 feet of climbing and averaged 17.03mph. The heat was a factor- 90 by the end.
                                Overally, we had fun on the tandem and thoroughly enjoyed the ride. There were folks from all over the country.
                                This is the final rest stop on the ride- an old church with a great cemetary.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X