Staying positive...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Staying positive...

I do have to say that I am very excited to see a board that doesn't have a pharmaceutical company logo overhead, and just totally frees me up to think about the fun stuff I love and not just MS. I love the idea of being able to find new ways to enjoy the things I used to...with help finding the right gear! Fabulous!! I can't say that enough. I thought I was on my own to find out all this stuff.

Anyhow, does anyone else have ideas for how they manage to live with MS, but not let it define them and rule their life? I am new to the diagnosis (though I am told that it was because I was just in denial...and everyone around me knew it was a fact of my life). I have moments where I want to cry, and then moments where I want to seize every opportunity right now. I just want to figure out how to stay in the positive side of things when my vision, balance, and energy level are not always cooperating.
    Joy
    fides quaerens intellectum

positive mindset

hi - it's hard to not get swept up into the MS-stuff and think about it all the time. I find there's times when I must think of it (like now while I have a flare - or is it flair?) and sometimes it's just a background thought (the 85% of the time when I feel fine).

Also - even when I feel really bad (like I did today), if I can get to the gym or even do a couple sun salutations and stretching, it makes the world of difference. Our bodies may not work the way they used to - but we can take advantage of what we have now to the fullest and it pays dividends in endorphins and stronger muscles!

Comment

Sucker punched!

Don't you hate when you think you're just going in for a routine check-up and then you're right foot won't respond? Me and my NP were just discussing exercise and then whammo - IV steroids for the flare-up on my dead right foot. Luckily enough it's responding and I'm not clunking around anymore for today. Staying positive - helps with family, friends, and four-legged cuddlies!

Comment

Dealing with MS

Dealing with MS is a challange at times. However, in my experience the best thing you can work on is your attitude. Keeping a positive attitude is the BEST way to deal with MS. It helps during the treatments and challenges MS (as well as life in general) throws your way.

Kimberly
        http://myjourneywithms-kimberly.blogspot.com/
        Kimberly

http://myjourneywithms-kimberly.blogspot.com/

Comment

Denial

I think that is the way I deal, It really stinks for me, No one at my job knows nor could I ever tell them. I was promoted to a great if not one of the best units in my job, ( I am a detective who is responsible to find fugitives across the US) So I have days as we all do where I feel like I was pelted with a million bean bags, or slipped a bottle of sleeping pills but I forge thru it. If someone says " Dude you look like hell" I blame the job.... And one for the books I was promoted about 2 years ago and have not taken a sick day yet. Sorry for rambling.
          Mike

Comment

Sick leave

Wow...I am impressed you haven't taken sick leave. I work for the federal government, and I was "verbally counseled" for abusing my sick leave, after taking 5 days off following a lumbar puncture (certified bed rest directed by physician), and the second time, I called in sick on a Monday (hence the sick leave abuse) when it was 96 degrees the day before, and I had bad vision and trouble walking.

I went to HR and said I would file complaint with ADA rather than the union...when the boss threatened to take away my annual leave for vacation, since I would probably need it for my "chronic health issues."

Some days I wish I worked for a less stressful agency...or myself.
            Joy
            fides quaerens intellectum

Comment

Working...
            X