Your WORST travel pet peeves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your WORST travel pet peeves

Having just returned from Europe, I’ve acquired a whole new level of appreciation for the American's with Disabilities Act... and a growing list of travel pet peeves. Here are my newest travel horror tales, starting with unbelievable toilet annoyances (check out the pic!).

POTTY PROBLEMS
    -Handicapped toilets WITHOUT toilet seats (really, how is that going to work?).
    -Handicapped bathrooms DOWN a flight of stairs (the logic escapes me).
    -Handicapped facilities with flimsy plastic bars (hold on, but don't use much of your body weight).
    -Handicapped facilities that are locked, so you have to find an attendant... while you can't see straight (much less walk straight) because you have to pee so bad!
    -Sinks that operate by pressing a foot lever, which is nearly impossible to press with poor balance and coordination.
    -Emergency "I've fallen and I can't get up" pull cords in the shower... located at eye level.
    -Bathrooms in restaurants located down incredibly steep flights of stairs with no other options.

OTHER ANNOYANCES
    -Curb cuts so you can get on a sidewalk, but NO curb cut to get off when you get the end of the block.
    -Curb cuts blocked by parked cars and motorcycles.
    -Elevators so small that they can't accommodate a single wheelchair... unless you fold it up and stand. Brilliant.
    -Wheelchair ramps that lead up to dramatic churches... and a nearly foot-high entry threshold at the top of the ramp that you can't get your wheelchair over.
    -Tables in cafes so close together that you have to turn sideways to walk through. Too bad if you have balance issues.
    -Romantic cobblestone streets aren't that romantic when you are trying not to trip with every step. Or trying to wheel around without getting motion sick.

(Incidentally, I’ve also updated my travel tips here: http://www.activemsers.org/tipstrick...ingwithms.html)

What are your worst travel peeves due to your multiple sclerosis? And would you be able to pee here??
    Attached Files
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

I am still ambulatory but tire easily. Do no stores have chairs anymore? I always end up in the shoe department!

Comment

Oh, I forgot another, probably because I blocked it out. In Venice, a gentleman from our hotel helped me out of a water taxi. How nice, I thought, and headed to (where else) the hotel restroom. The thoughtful doorman had beaten me there... and was vigorously scrubbing his arms up to his elbows! Sigh. I'm not contageous.
      Dave Bexfield
      ActiveMSers

Comment

How about a toilet in Malaysia

I do not squat so well anymore but that is exactly what you have to do with the Asian squating toilet. This one at least was modern most only have a hose bib and no toilet paper...... which is why you never shake with your left hand.
        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
        X