Can Walk "Fine" but Can Poles Help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Walk "Fine" but Can Poles Help?

My situation is this....I can walk (at 3.5-3) mph for a good bit 2-4 miles depending. But after about 2 miles I start (about 20% of the time) stubbing and dragging my right foot. I also love to veer instead of "holding my line". This makes me sort of leery of the bike path I now walk on because I know a veering or unsteady pedestrian tends to not be a cyclists favorite. So I have been walking on the indoor track at my gym ( a main reason I picked this gym) instead. But, while its not too cold and snowy out I would really prefer to be outside.

So I got to thinking, maybe a pair of trekking poles (walking stick or canes were rules out for speed and use reasons) might help my balance when I start to get warm and want to veer or drag a foot at random.

So today I went for it, I bought a pair of Black Diamond Distance Carbon Z-Pole Trekking Poles (Here http://www.rei.com/product/877683/bl...ing-poles-pair) and I am going to give them a try and see if they give me some confidence and make a difference. I figure I might start out without them and deploy them once I feel like I need them. I wasn't sure if this should go in gear or in fitness, so Dave, if this is the wrong spot please let me know and I can move them.

I will let you know how it goes
    Last edited by Marinadca; 10-31-2015, 10:48 AM.

Lots of regular walkers around here use poles, so you won't stand out. They are sometimes good for defense (dogs under "voice control"), and for arm strength or extra aerobic benefit. Plus, fancy poles are cool - you might even be asked about them by admiring dog-walkers and/or x-c skiers.
    Tired after 20 miles? Most people can't do nearly that distance without getting wobbly. Go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by celia View Post
      Lots of regular walkers around here use poles, so you won't stand out. They are sometimes good for defense (dogs under "voice control"), and for arm strength or extra aerobic benefit. Plus, fancy poles are cool - you might even be asked about them by admiring dog-walkers and/or x-c skiers.
      Tired after 20 miles? Most people can't do nearly that distance without getting wobbly. Go for it.
      Ha I think that was a typo - after 2 miles

I took the poles out for a 2 mile walk last night. I do think they helped with leg fatigue. They will take some getting used to though!!!

Comment

I have now completed walk #2 with these...well actually with just one. For this go I decided to take just the right pole for my bad side and see how that went.

It went quite well, I walked 2 miles and while I am not sure I was faster (I am still figuring these out so I am thinking this will take some time) I am much less fatigued after the walk. Usually after a walk I feel a bit weak and jolty/spazzy (I a sure there is a name for this). I also did less veering and did not start walking "weird" until the end of my walk. Another upside if that I am not doing what I like to call the "Drunk Zombie" walk as much as I was, and the instances of me kicking my left leg with my wonky right leg were less.

Is using just one pole on my bad side a bad plan? Maybe, but I think I am going to concentrate on learning to use one pole first.

To be continued

Comment

Hi Marina,

Good for you to try out the poles. There is a walking thread on this site and a discussion of 2 versus 1 pole. I have always been an advocate of 2 poles for a more even and balanced training. It certainly sounds like you're making great strides (pardon the pun!).

Teena Marie

Comment

Originally posted by teena marie View Post
            Hi Marina,

Good for you to try out the poles. There is a walking thread on this site and a discussion of 2 versus 1 pole. I have always been an advocate of 2 poles for a more even and balanced training. It certainly sounds like you're making great strides (pardon the pun!).

Teena Marie
            Ooooh I will need to find that thread, that sounds like an interesting discussion. I went on my third walk and am picking up speed again but I am just using one, I really wonder if that is the right thing to do? It makes it much easier to drink while I walk...I wonder how to do this with two.

Comment

Marina, meant to post on this but kind of forgot. My opinion on the poles is if they help you move more normally and/or help prevent joint damage from some strange compensating gait then you should definitely use them. Sometimes an assisting device can help strengthen weak muscles too. It's always worth a try.

Comment

I have to agree Larry. I have taken 6-7 walks with my pole (I just use one, I know, I know) and am really finding they are getting my speed up and the fatigue that I experience after is much less.

My issue is that everything would be normal for like 10-15 minutes, and then as I got more fatigued my right leg/foot would start doing weird things. I tended to kick my left leg with my right foot sometimes. Now I could continue on walking for an hour +, but I would be slower (and for me "slower" is about 3mph) and my form would be pretty awful.

I think the pole allows me to maintain better form by giving my weaker right leg some help. The last 2 walks I did were around 2 miles at 3.6 mph and with good form and much less fatigue afterwards.

So I gotta declare the pole a victory for me. I can see why 2 may be better but I really like having a hand free to grab a water bottle and I was not being as good at using 2 with that to concentrate on then to focus on using one well. But if I ever find myself actually going on a trail or hike (which I enjoy very much) I will be using both, and I can see how they would help with balance a lot more where speed is not my focus.

Comment

Hi,

I just wanted to see how it was going with the poles. I'm like you and can walk "fine" although the drunkenness starts and I start walking sideways. I just bought trekking poles yesterday and am feeling a little uncoordinated with them. Did you feel the same way? And how long did that last?

Thanks

Comment

I felt SUPER uncoordinated with them at first, I had the timing all off.

But now I generally use 1 pole on my "bad side", though I know most recommend using both and I do when going "off road" but not when on the paved path.

I picked up speed with them pretty fast. I would say after 5 walks with the pole I really started to "get it" and even the one keeps me straighter and veering to the side is an issue for me once I start the drunk walking. I use the same trial lots of cyclists use so I really need to "hold my line". I find one pole helps me.

Its super cold now so I am not walking outside much but I have used them 15+ times and at this point its like another limb. It really decreases fatigue for me, and increases my time. I feel much safer as well.

Let me know how they go for you (and welcome!)

Comment

Thanks! I feel more unstable and wonky with them than without, but I feel like I would rather get more coordinated with them while I can rather than wait until needed. I'll have to try the one pole, although I'm also dealing with a herniated disc in my back which is throwign me off even more.

Comment

Working...
                      X