leg control help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leg control help?

For those of you who haven't read my early posts, I was diagnosed last October after a massive relapse that left my right leg less than cooperative. My background is in martial arts, in which I still continue to train.

I have worked very hard to get my stances and transitions back to an acceptable level, allowing for an extra step or slight modification here or there. The problem is my kicking.

The main problem isn't even the fact that my leg seems a lot heavier. I just pretend I have leg weights on. The problem is getting the part from my knee down to form and do the kicks. It's like that part of my leg is made of a really heavy, wobbly mass of jello that refuses to do what I tell it even in a borderline acceptable form.

Any suggestions/exercises that you have to help get some sort of control and resemblance of an actual kick would be appreciated. I'm not looking for perfect or even the same level of skill has I'm used to having. At this point, I'm just looking for a halfway pretty and effective technique.

Thanks in advance.

be well,
    Lisa

Lisa, I imagine most of us are familiar with the frustration. I would think your best bet is a physical therapist or, if you can find one, a sports physiologist. The last sports physiologist I saw recommended heavy weight training, as in using low reps of the heaviest weights I could push. He thought it stimulated more of the nervous system thereby aiding the brains natural plasticity to overcome the weakness. I did try that with leg strength but wouldn't say the results, although noticeable, were exactly day and night. I've had to take a break recently but I will eventually continue that training.

Don't give up, neural damage is tough and can take quite a long time to show any kind of improvement.

Comment

Hi Lisa,

I agree with AMF. I'm currently working with a trainer and we vary the routine including increased resistance with low reps and less resistance with higher reps and sets. Sometimes it's hard to find the right person with whom to work, so go with how it feels for you. You could try tying a theraband around your foot and chair leg and practise your kicks seated. If one side of me isn't firing properly, I pay attention to the other side and see if I can identify where the short circuit occurs.

Keep up what you're doing-it sounds amazing.

Take care,

Teena Marie

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions! I think I will try teena's exercises and if it doesn't improve by the time I got see my neuro next at the beginning of August, I'll ask him for a referral to a sports/physical therapist.

On a side note, we're sparring today. That is always an interesting adventure!

Comment

Aside from PT, what helps me when I get in that funk (my right side gets way more kicky/wandering), velcro ankle weights help... sometimes I put weight on the right, but not the left... other times when I want good exercise I will just put more on the right than the left.

Also, for many seated exercises, putting my hands on the muscles that are the most out of control can settle them down a little bit, or at least give you more warning than you otherwise would have that your leg is about to take you for a ride.

Comment

Working...
          X