Eliptical trainer in home gymn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eliptical trainer in home gymn

i am seriously considering getting an eliptical trainer for at home. before MS diagnosis i treadmill ran 8 miles a day, loved it. no longer have treadmill. lost a lot of weight when i did use it...no longer run but can walk 2 miles...still very interested in not getting fat again.have a stationary bike-get sore knees if used too often.

debating on getting an eliptical trainer or replacing that motorized tread mill. any advice?. i think i will go to a fitness center and get a 1 day or month pass to use an eliptical trainer to see how it works.. and then perhaps buy a nicer eliptical trainer....

spending the money is rather scary, looking for feedback to help me make a decision. don't want to be fat again.

I personally like using the elliptical trainer from time to time as a good cross training activity. I have MS and run about 40 miles a week on average. Whenever I feel my knees getting sore, I sometimes substitute a running day with a workout on the ellipitical machine to reduce impact while strengthening key leg muscles (muscles that stabilize the knee joint) at the same time. Also, while recovering from past running injuries, I have used an elliptical trainer nearly every day until I was able to get back to running.

If you ask me, there is nothing worse than trying to get a good run in on a low budget, shoddy treadmill that just can't cut the mustard. This, however, has never been an issue for me on an elliptical trainer. I find that I don't care if I use $300 or $1300 machine. I always get out of it what I want and what my body needs. Maybe you too will find this to be the case and you can save a few bucks by getting a lower end model if and when you decide to buy one.

I get bored quickly on the elliptical machine, though, so I sometimes try to add a bit to jazz it up. For example, after 10 minutes or so, I try working on balance and core muscles by clasping my hands behind my head. Next, while still pumping my legs, I twist to the right nearly 90 degrees then back to the middle....pause shortly...then twist to the left and back to the middle. I do this straight for a minute then go back to normal mode. Sure, some people think I am crazy in the gym, but who cares. It's good for improving my running posture and it's good for balance and my MS.

Hope this helps.

John

Comment

I agree with John. And John 40 miles running a week is so awesome! The elliptical machine is a great move. If you are not able to run as much, the elliptical machine is the way to go. Only 10 minutes a day gives an all-over body workout. I see people at my gym use the elliptical instead of the treadmill and their bodys are so toned and lean. I think you get just as much out of it as you do running but it is easier on the knees. I highly recommend it.

Comment

The elliptical will give you flexibility in your workout, is low impact, and with enough resistance and speed you'll get a good cardio workout. When I work out on one, I follow what John does to keep it interesting. Changing your speeds, sprinting for 30 seconds, coasting for a minute, gets the heart running too. Setting targets and trying to meet them on the machine's computer is motivating. Working to the beat of music is fun. Or you can just listen to talk radio opposite your political persuasion to fire you up. You won't even know you are sweating.
        Dave Bexfield
        ActiveMSers

Comment

I can't use an elliptical for my exercise. I lock my knees with each step so the ellipticals up-back-down-forward motion is painful on the knees. I use a Gazelle which is just back and forth so it is easier on the knees but gives the same cardio and leg workout

Comment

Initially, I didn't get how your knees would lock, but I just came from the gym and conducted a few experiments on the elliptical machine. It's true. Your knees do lock on every rotation. I hadn't realized that before.

As there is generous room for placing your feet on most models, I tried to play a bit with my gait and that seemed to help prevent the knees from fully extending to a locked position. But I have my doubts that this will help if you have the kind of pain you describe. Sorry. It looks like you are out of luck and need to find another workout for cardio. Maybe doing it reverse will be less painful?

john

Comment

elliptical

I have a new elliptical - after much research I bought the Horizon EX-65 on amazon prime so it was free shipping and $599. I am very satisfied - I develope foot drop with walking so I stick to spin bake and the elliptical - both in my home gym or cycling outside. The elliptical gives a great workout.

Mary

Comment

http://www.fitnessquest.com/scripts/...ml?item=4-TLGE
                This is what I use for cardio and leg strengthening. It has helped me rebuild the muscles that have atrophied and helped make my legs strong enough I don't fall (as often) Like I said before the traditional eliptical hurts my knees, this is more low impact and you get the same cardio

Comment

Working...
                X