ActiveMSers Forums  

Go Back   ActiveMSers Forums > ActiveMSers.org Forums > MS Fitness

Old 02-03-2016, 11:16 AM
MS Yoda

You're way ahead of me Marina, I saw you've started speed drills already, good ones too, nice!

We just got a foot of snow and temperatures are currently in the single digits which means it'll be a while before the snows gone, but I did get 75 miles in last week before that all happened. My endurance is coming back!

I'm still hitting the weight room twice a week, ellipticals if I can't get outside on the bike, core and yoga. Getting something in 5 or 6 days per week. I'm also trying to figure out how to train for the Pikes Peak hill climb???

Hope everyone is getting some time in,
L
Old 02-06-2016, 09:45 PM
MS Warrior

Glad to hear the training reports. Larry, Denver weather really is interesting...you had some 60's and got miles and miles in, and now a foot of snow? Wow...keeps you changing up the routines, huh?

Teena Marie, I always marvel at your dedication to the daily swim...even if it IS in your living room....

Marina, I'm just impressed with your planning an MS150 in May...Another similarity between us ( but don't tell Dave, he'll find another cartoon.. ) is that 4 years ago I also bought my Bike Friday when I thought that would solve my issues....and also loved it. I'm gonna cut the ties this spring and sell it..... For me, I've gotta move on..

Dave, our fearless leader, reading your ride reports and loving the nature reports, but also it has me finally thinking about getting a heart rate monitor for my workouts. This is something I have never used.....any recommendations???

And as for me, well, I am happy to report that I am Back in the Ring! Today I did my first Sufferfest video since November, and boy was it rough! And I honestly don't think much of it was from my recent relapse.....more just lack of training! At one point, toward the end of this video, it blasts " Freight Train Baby" on the screen, and usually I am cruising at this point and giving the screen Thumbs Up and being totally ridiculous yell " Yes!!" .... well today I felt like the Little Engine That Could....I think I groaned at that point! Some of the recovery periods I didn't spin AT ALL and really felt my cadence and effort was way down there. This video has the racer practically throwing his bike aside at the end.....I had greater empathy for him today than ever!! Would have thrown the trike but I was sitting on it!!

But I think you can tell I found the humor in this, and I know that I am just rebuilding, and it WILL happen.... Feels good....I am pooped right now, but feels good.....
Old 02-07-2016, 03:16 PM
MS Gladiator

Good day to all,

Always great to hear all the news and impressive training schedules. Quickly, swimming continues and a home trainer twice weekly. It's paying off. Stronger and sturdier. I'm attaching 2 pictures taken exactly a year apart of me on skis which I think accurately depicts some positive changes namely, my left leg is straighter and I am more upright.

Take care all,

Teena Marie

pictures not attaching so will post later
Old 02-07-2016, 05:28 PM
MS Gladiator

ski 2015.jpg

Trying. We'll see

ski 2016_2.JPG
Old 02-07-2016, 06:29 PM
MS Gladiator

After having the pictures too big, now I've shrunk them. But, I think the general idea is visible.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:54 AM
MS Warrior

Teena Marie! Photos tell a very positive story of progress for sure. Wow, a very big difference in your stance...... Now, WHAT is at the end of your forearm crutches? Looks like mops....
Old 02-08-2016, 01:43 PM
MS Gladiator

Veronica, you're not the first person to say my attachments look like mops! They are, in fact, snowshoes. Attachments specially made for snow conditions. By Sidestix. Dave has a great review. I also have sandshoes for the beach.
Old 02-12-2016, 03:02 PM
MS Gladiator

Quote:
Originally Posted by teena marie View Post
Veronica, you're not the first person to say my attachments look like mops! They are, in fact, snowshoes. Attachments specially made for snow conditions. By Sidestix. Dave has a great review. I also have sandshoes for the beach.
That is pretty cool!

You look great
Old 02-15-2016, 03:00 PM
MS Yoda

Great news TM, there is no doubt the work we all do helps us cope with the MS in a number of different ways but the photographic evidence is especially cool.

I've been up to the same old things here. Yoga, ellipticals, cycling and weights. I can also quantify my weight training progress, I'm pushing about 5% more weight this year than last. I hope it eventually shows up in my cycling.

I'm off to spend a couple of weeks with an old friend. While I'm there I will put together a schedule designed to get me up Pikes Peak. A prominent neurologist in this area, and a huge believer in exercise for MS, tells his patients to pick a physical goal, one they know they can't do, and go for it. That would be Pikes Peak alright! I'm sure there will be some good adventures along the way so you guys don't get sick of hearing about it. It should all start when I get back.

Got 70 miles on the bike last week, the deer and the coyotes were out but I couldn't get to my camera quick enough, a shame because it was a trophy size deer, would have been nice to have a shot of it.

Later,
Larry
Old 02-21-2016, 01:39 PM
Dave @ ActiveMSers

Larry, can't wait to hear about Pikes Peak. I've been riding pretty hard lately, and am thinking about getting a bike computer so I can track my mileage. Right now I measure by time and heart rate; I'm usually in the cardio zone for an hour or two every ride, so it's very effective at raising my heart rate. I'm guessing I'm logging about 10 to 12 miles, not bad for a hand bike. Yesterday: 2 hrs, 1:15 in the cardio zone, 1,100 calories burned.

How is everyone else doing? Right now it is like 20 degrees above seasonal averages: 73 degrees! (one off all-time record in Albuquerque) Wearing my cooling vest outside in mid February felt very, very strange, when there is often snow on the ground.