Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copaxone bruising and lumps

Hey folks,

I started Copaxone just over a week ago, and have had an issue with bruising and lumps at the injection sites. I am using the auto-injector. I've heard that manual injections may reduce bruising. I was also told that "8" is the ideal depth, but have also heard that a shallower depth can prevent these problems ...has anyone had the same issues? Any suggestions for preventing these from happening?

Copaxone

I started using Copaxone in October and have the same Injection Site Reactions that you experience. I have tried the heat pad before the injection, followed by a cool pad post injection. I'm uncomfortable with needles so I use the autoject. My settings are at the lower end, and I believe that I'm getting them into the fat layer.
    My body just doesn't seem to like copaxone!

I had heard that after a few months the reactions may stop, however mine stay for over 24 hours and inch/hurt.

I would love to hear if the reactions are less severe if you self inject.

Comment

Copaxone pin cushion for over 2 years now. I had to move to manual injections after 5 months in, as my skin said "no more autoject!" It was a bumpy and rocky first 6 months of use. You do get less bruising going the manual route, which the manual route presents a whole new learning curve. No guarantees you won't have a bump or lump with manual though, but they are not as horrific looking as with the autoject. Whichever method you use, thighs are the devil's advocate, I swear.

Using autoject, as I only had 5 months of use, I can't say for sure the reactions will lessen. Depth setting is tricky at best. Too shallow and the medicine pools up too high in the sub-q. Too deep and you can shoot it into a vein (IPIR!) or a muscle (OUCH!). The same is true for manual injections, which is a fine art to accomplish. I'm finally there with that art with minimal mistakes now.

Comment

Fun with Copaxone

I nearly fainted when I first started injecting. yep hated needles...so I used autoinjector. But the bruising was awful, no matter the setting the nurse tried to help me with, the fluid just pushed in too fast.

So luckily my diabetic hubby made me watch him take his insulin (injection pen isn't quite a needle, but hey, i still felt queasy watching), until I didn't feel queasy and then I did the injections manually and could control the speed and slightly more slowly inject, which got rid of most of the bruising. There are some good vids on YouTube of how to inject Copaxone manually, and remember to breathe....

The intense, mind numbing itching and bumps lasted about 3 months for me, sorry to say. Calamine lotion helped me a bit, Gold bond anti-itch lotion. It was worse in hot humid weather or where clothing rubbed, so loose fitting clothing, skirts and flowy, soft shirts are where it's at for injection sites. Don't wear skinny jeans-itchy city ;P

Hope that "helps"! Take care and good luck.

By taking copaxone for the last nearly 4 years I have been able to get back to more exercise, still walking and only one relapse of optic neuritis per year vs 3+ per year, so I will take that. My poor Type 1 diabetes hubby takes so many more stabs/day than me, so I don't have much to complain about with one per day.

Comment

If the bumps are itchy I found Benadryl cream the best to reduce the itch and irritation.

Injection site reaction gradually improved, I don't get as itchy, fewer large bumps, and only occasional bruising. I still use auto injector. Going on 5 yrs use. I do remember having to do a bit of trial and error on depth for each site, kept a log book early on to map and figure out best depth for each area. For example higher up thigh an 8, lower a 7.
          Callenge life before life challenges you - from inside collar of my "Bike Off More Than You Chew" bike jersey

Comment

I don't inject into the thighs (nasty welts), stopped doing the upper arms (regardless of what the Copaxone nurses say - needle would get stuck), and now just alternate left abdomen/rt abdomen/left hip/rt hip, which works ok. 6-1/2 years autoject, switched to 3x/wk last year (yay!). Also, climbing into bed with the cold pad and reading for awhile - up to an hour - practically eliminates itching.

Comment

Hi, I switched from autoinject to manual several years ago with good results. I called the copaxone help line and tried tips. The ones I use and help me are to inject at slight angle, push plunger in slowly, and take syringe out of frig and let sit for for 1/2 hour to warm to room temp or take cold syringe in between hands to warm slightly before using.

After my first year, i noticed that I had fat loss in area of rotations. There is a technical term for this indent in skin in warning sheet but I can't remember term off hand. On a visit to dermatologist for something else I asked him about it. He said that this happens with various injectables and it comes down what is more important - aesthetics or disease management? Obviously, managing MS is more important but that doesn't mean I want to be lumpy!

The copaxone nurse explained that you want the injection to go to a certain subcutaneous depth for max benefit. I stopped injecting my arms altogether because for me, it seemed the indents (from from fat loss) was most apparent on my arms and honestly that suggestion to sit in a chair and push up the area of the arm to inject is really awkward!

What has worked well for me is to use the injection rotation map, and strategically try to inject spots in a balanced manner that can handle an indent. To inject my hip, I find lying on my side on the bed the easiest way to self inject. If you have low body fat, I recommend that you specifically ask your neuro in person or copaxone the best locations to minimize reactions.

Also, if you are on generic copaxone and have documented trouble with injections, your dr may be able to get your insurer to cover 3x week copaxone injections. Just a thought.

Good luck to all. I believe copaxone made a big difference in slowing my progression. Hang in there! Fight back MS!

Comment

Appreciate every one of you!

Thank you so much for all of your advice and support. As someone who was recently diagnosed, I genuinely appreciate it! I am experimenting with the auto needle depth, and if the problem persists, I may switch to manual injections to see if that helps. I will try your suggestions, and hopefully, eventually figure out my Copaxone "formula".

Comment

Glad I don't take that!

Had my neuro suggest that drug, but I turned it down.

I've been on Avonex for 15 years. I like that it's only a once a week injection, though it is intramuscular so that long needle would put some people off.

The nice thing about IM injections, I've had exactly 1 adverse skin reaction in 15 years, and that one was entirely my own fault, as I forgot to prep the injection site.

As I mix the drug myself, I have had a couple of face palm episodes over the years, where I'd draw 2cc of sterile water to mix it with instead of 1cc. *(On the farm, I'm constantly injecting my animals, almost all with 2cc's of whatever they're getting. Drawing 2 is just habit!)

2cc is a lot for an IM injection, but I just run it it slow!
                  Retired engineer, now hobby farmer with goats, chickens, an old dog,and a lazy barn cat!
                  Watch my goats at GoatsLive.com
                  Active in amateur radio
                  Linux geek, blogging at lnxgoat.com
                  M.S. since 2000

Comment

Working...
                  X