ActiveMSers Forums  

Go Back   ActiveMSers Forums > ActiveMSers.org Forums > MS Fitness

Old 02-25-2009, 10:18 AM
Dave @ ActiveMSers

Default Who here bikes?

I took out my mountain bike yesterday to take a spin around the neighborhood and enjoy the 70-degree temps in Albuquerque. Due to vision issues when I get hot, my "mountain" bike is now relegated to mellow terrain and pavement.

As long as I avoid traffic, I'm usually okay except for the odd pedestrian. And my balance is decent on the bike (don't ask about getting off after a long ride, though).

Just wondering. Who here bikes? Road or mountain? Two or three wheels? Just curious....
Old 02-26-2009, 12:46 PM
Senior Misfit

I am looking into getting bikes for my family, have yet to do so though! I haven't been on a bike in about 5 years so it'll be interesting to see if my balance will allow a traditional bike. But I am really excited to try!
Old 02-26-2009, 10:16 PM
Optimistic Misfit

Default In a current "pause" on wheels

But, I hope to get back on one! I used to constantly mountain bike / trail ride on my beloved Trek... I miss it!! My goal is to do one of the MS 150's within the next 2-3 years and my docs have given me a yellow for now. I'll really have to debate between a recumbent and regular road bike. Here in SE Texas we drop below 85% humidity for a total of 2 weeks throughout the year so it's more of the outside heat that keeps me from it rather than other issues (other than recent back surgery which went fantastic!!!)
Old 08-19-2009, 10:54 PM
MS Sage

Default Road bike mania

My husband and I bought road bikes in May. At first, I was a bit unsteady.My dizziness hasn't been an issue lately, so I am riding all the time with some practice. Heat seems to be much less of an issue with cycling than with running. I guess there is a cooling factor with the wind.
I hope to do the MS150 with my local cycling club next June. I love cycling. I have over 1000 miles on my bike since May!!!
Old 08-21-2009, 09:00 AM
Junior Optimistic Misfit

I cylce - mostly commuting to work. Interestingly (or weirdly) my symptoms aren't exacerbated as much on the bike as they are during a brisk walk. It doesn't seem to matter how hot I get on the bike. My neuro can't explain it either.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:52 PM
MS Yoda

Default Avid road biker

I was just looking forward to some time off the road bike after completing four events this year including an MS 150, when my youngest daughter called and invited me to do the "El Tour de Tucson" with her in November. Obviously there isn't a choice here, I'm salivating at just the thought of riding her skinny little 26 year old behind into the ground over 109 miles on her own home turf (what are the chances)?

So, after an all too brief respite, I'm back on the bike, doing everything in my power to reduce the amount of time I'm going to have to sit on that seat to complete that ride. I hope to come in in about six and a half hours and I know even that's going to hurt like the devil.

I agree with MANIS above, while I'm on the bike I don't suffer too much from overheating at least until temps hit 85 and above. It's a different story when I stop though. Just don't stop, right?
And as far as traffic goes, I'm perfectly happy to ride with the cars until I get exhausted. At that point I am prone to life threatening stupidity unless I take a break.

Best therapy for MS brain??? Bicycle maintenance!

Bike On
Old 01-17-2010, 11:07 AM
Junior Optimistic Misfit

I have a recumbant bike I would get rid or for a regular two wheel. I am going to ride to Colorado from El Paso,Tx. Trying to travel up hills on a recumbat ,I think would be reaally hard. ernrom
Quote:
Originally Posted by txhollyann View Post
But, I hope to get back on one! I used to constantly mountain bike / trail ride on my beloved Trek... I miss it!! My goal is to do one of the MS 150's within the next 2-3 years and my docs have given me a yellow for now. I'll really have to debate between a recumbent and regular road bike. Here in SE Texas we drop below 85% humidity for a total of 2 weeks throughout the year so it's more of the outside heat that keeps me from it rather than other issues (other than recent back surgery which went fantastic!!!)
Old 01-23-2010, 06:03 PM
MS Yoda

Default Bike Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernrom View Post
I have a recumbant bike I would get rid or for a regular two wheel. I am going to ride to Colorado from El Paso,Tx. Trying to travel up hills on a recumbat ,I think would be reaally hard. ernrom

I've had touring in the back of my mind for several years now too. My idea is to find a steel touring or cyclocross frame and transfer my mountain bike components to it. Checking craigslist frequently for just the right deal.

Later,
Old 03-27-2010, 09:48 PM
Optimistic Misfit

I am getting into road cycling. While the bike I have is actually a hybrid, we've been making changes to it (road tires have replaced the hybrid tires). I try to ride or go to spin class 5-6 days/week.