ActiveMSers Forums  

Go Back   ActiveMSers Forums > ActiveMSers.org Forums > MS Fitness

Old 01-05-2010, 06:04 PM
Dave @ ActiveMSers

10 lbs? In six weeks? Yeah, you better get training AMF! My friend Lenny, who does centuries on a single speed between 24-hour races, would whip you into shape. He travels to bike events all over the SW. Look for him on one that looks like a yellow taxi cab...

Oh, and get back to yoga, too. Limber is good. Stiff is bad. Really stiff is really bad.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:19 PM
MS Yoda

Default Bike MS training checkin 1/6/10

Dave,

Yes sir, I'm on it! Just back from yoga, wasn't as stiff as I deserved to be, except for one new spot I'll have to work a little harder on.

And, made it to the club for 45 minutes on Monday and Tuesday. On Monday I took an elliptical next to an octogenarian gentleman who was already there when I arrived. I couldn't help but notice that he was working at about the same level of effort as I was but at a faster pace. He was still going when I left. I think I've found my motivation.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:07 AM
Junior Optimistic Misfit

I have a recumbant bike I would get rid or for a regular two wheel. I am going to ride to Colorado from El Paso,Tx. Trying to travel up hills on a recumbat ,I think would be reaally hard. ernrom
Quote:
Originally Posted by txhollyann View Post
But, I hope to get back on one! I used to constantly mountain bike / trail ride on my beloved Trek... I miss it!! My goal is to do one of the MS 150's within the next 2-3 years and my docs have given me a yellow for now. I'll really have to debate between a recumbent and regular road bike. Here in SE Texas we drop below 85% humidity for a total of 2 weeks throughout the year so it's more of the outside heat that keeps me from it rather than other issues (other than recent back surgery which went fantastic!!!)
Old 01-23-2010, 06:03 PM
MS Yoda

Default Bike Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernrom View Post
I have a recumbant bike I would get rid or for a regular two wheel. I am going to ride to Colorado from El Paso,Tx. Trying to travel up hills on a recumbat ,I think would be reaally hard. ernrom

I've had touring in the back of my mind for several years now too. My idea is to find a steel touring or cyclocross frame and transfer my mountain bike components to it. Checking craigslist frequently for just the right deal.

Later,
Old 03-27-2010, 09:48 PM
Optimistic Misfit

I am getting into road cycling. While the bike I have is actually a hybrid, we've been making changes to it (road tires have replaced the hybrid tires). I try to ride or go to spin class 5-6 days/week.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:07 PM
Optimistic Misfit

I'm on a three wheeler right now but want to upgrade to either a two wheeler with a stabilizer unit attached or go for an electric three wheeler. I'm looking at a Curie for the three wheeler but they are so expensive.

Nevertheless, I want to reduce my dependency on my relatives to drive me around , on local errands, as much as possible.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:22 PM
Optimistic Misfit

Okay update time - It looks like a two wheeler is not for me. The moment I straddled one, I felt the weight and akwardness of it. I also felt that even putting on those stablizer tires would not contribute significantly toward maintaining my balance.

So I'm back to the trike which I will upgrade and make into a three speed. I think it's a modest investment.

At another site, a recumbent user mentioned some high performance tires (the type that's meant for all terrain and resist punctures more.

Considering that I'm traveling through stretches (side/industrial streets) where pedestrian traffic is minimal, I'm wondering if I should explore that as a safety tool?

What do you think?
Old 04-15-2010, 06:43 PM
Senior Misfit

Lucia, I too ride a trike. It is a steel framed beast, and I also ride on side streets and there is a lot of glass and thorns, I just put slime in the tires and haven't had any problems. I'm trying to find new cranks for mine to get clipless pedals, my cranks are metric and not compatible and I'm tired of strapping my feet to the pedals, the cranks I have found are expensive so I guess I'll be strapping my feet awhile longer.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:02 AM
Optimistic Misfit

Slime on the tires? Cranks? Sorry Krista but I'm a newbie to cycling so the things you're mentioning are new to me.

However, it does sound like I should be looking into them but I'm not sure what I'm looking or doing.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:23 PM
Senior Misfit

Haha sorry I forgot you were very new to cycling. Usually your tires will be sold with slime in them, but its good to add more. Walmart sells it next to the innertubes and directions are on the bottle. It helps seal the inner tube in case of a small puncture. Cranks are what hold the pedals, and since mine are an odd diameter I can't replace the pedals to clip less which allow me to buy special biking shoes to clip my feet to the pedals so I don't have to tie them to the pedals. Its safer, if I have another accident I'm not tied to the trike waiting for my boyfriend to untie me Hope this clears it up a little, any other questions I'm sure any of us on here will be happy to answer. Glad you are staying active!
Krista