No announcement yet.

MSers in Training 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Sue, Veronica, is there a web site for either of the groups you girls are skiing through? Might come in handy for Jodi and others. There is a group in Denver that has a number of programs, including skiing, which caters to people of different abilities. It's a group I plan to do some cycling with sometime in the future and possibly some scuba diving. Regrets, still not skiing Veronica, but Apres Ski is never out of the question. Anyway , the group is http://adaptiveadventures.org/ They do all kinds of stuff.

Jodi, I second Sue's yes, yes on the yoga, stretching and balance exercises are good! Try a few classes to find out which styles of yoga work for you, then you can look for a DVD or a book with that style. I have a book on Yoga for cyclists but I don't use it much because I enjoy the social aspects of the classes. Good luck.

Ps: If you've got to spend time in The MS Club for a while, this is a good one!
    Last edited by AMFADVENTURES; 10-30-2015, 09:52 AM.

Comment

• The group that holds the yearly event in Breckenridge is through Disabled Sports USA, but I've learned that the adaptive school at Breck is really a phenomenal program...Suzanne, I think you've skied with them? I don't know first hand about other programs but a friend of mine who is also a 4 track skier and an adaptive instructor, just moved to Telluride and will be teaching with them this year. I would guess they can be easily Googled.....

And Larry, if that comment means you're up for a "reunion" when I am out there, I'd love it!
      Be thankful. Dream Big. Never Give Up.

Comment

• Veronica, a reunion, perfect, there's a chance I'll be out of town but let's plan something and hope for the best.

On the training front, I'm up to 60 miles on my weekly long ride. A couple more weeks and I'll be ready for Tour de Tucson, with confidence!

Also, came across this article about strange things that can happen when you exercise hard. It's not always MS.
        http://www.bicycling.com/training/ex...728_0001531427
        Last edited by AMFADVENTURES; 10-30-2015, 10:17 AM.

Comment

• Fun article Larry. I have to admit to having had some of those issues through the years..especially the itchy thighs and runny nose.

Thought I'd share a photo from this past Saturday. I attended the Fall Recumbent Muster Ride on the Dutchess Rail Trail. This is a group fo recumbent bikers and trikers who meet to ride each spring and fall. There were about 20 of us, and we looked like a LOW parade, with our flags waving as we wove through the pedistrian traffic on the Walkway over the Hudson. The actual trail was really nice and empty thanks to the barely 40 degree temp when we started. Many of these guys have just "come over to the dark side" as one says, since they find the trikes just so much fun. Boy, I can attest to that... It was a hoot to ride with some many that I could chat with AT EYE LEVEL, and keep up with! No stress, no competitions here, and it was a pretty, pretty Fall day on top of it all. I loved it, and it really completed my Conversion from Biker to Triker....
          Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Jodi View Post
            Also, Can anyone tell me about Yoga? I would think it would be really good for MSers but I don't now if I should try a class or get a DVD?
            Hi Jodi,

I started with beginner yoga dvd at home so that I could start and stop as needed, once stamina better I went to yoga classes which is better because a good instructor will correct your position, but at least with the dvd's I learned the names of the different poses and found I could follow along better in class. I also recommend Iyengar style as it is slow paced and really focuses more on the correctness of each pose, as opposed to hot or flow style yoga classes that move quickly from pose to pose. I found yoga hugely beneficial for muscle tone balance coordination, keep meaning to get back into a regular practice but I've been able to get back into my old fav activities of cycling, horseback riding and even took up kayaking this summer.
            Attached Files
            Callenge life before life challenges you - from inside collar of my "Bike Off More Than You Chew" bike jersey

Comment

• Sorry it's been a while ...

Wow! Marina, very impressive for 100mile bike ride, just a normal person, you ROCK! And you have done longer distances. I am continually in awe of all the bikers, you inspire me. Thank you.

Larry, I connected with you via Garmin. Anyone else interested I am MSRunner26. It’s good to hear others also find other activities besides the favorite to stay on top of our physical well being.

Ellie, I was at the MCM cheering on a good friend. I hope you had a good race. What an experience! How did your IT band hold up? Hope your doing better.

Jodi, you have the right attitude! I hope you find a yoga you enjoy. I enjoy doing the Runners World Yoga, its free online 30minute’s.

Veronica, I hope to be able to meet you one day for a ride or coffee on the trail.

NEWS NEWS NEWS
              So I have been looking for a running coach familiar with MS and after no luck I decided to use a local coach preparing runners for the local charity doing the Disney Wine & Dine Half this weekend. I have been working with her now for about eight weeks now. Nice improvement on my part I see. Better yet, we were alone doing a track workout and she confided in me that two years ago she was diagnosed with MS OMG! I am speechless! I know this is not really good news, but for me it was more than I was looking for. She has been a runner for a long long time, 7+ marathons under her belt and helps new runners get going. Everything happens for a reason! I thank Karma, God, whomever else is responsible for this meeting. I am sharing this in confidence with this group. Not sure if anyone from my neck of the woods would know her. Please keep this in info private. She is a private person and I would not want to ever disrespect her. She has been great with me during the last part of training. She has had me do everything from tempo’s, intervals, different paced long runs. I ran the Hartford Half chomping at the bit, wanting to go faster, but stayed true to her pace plan for me and I PR’d! I have taken 30minutes off my time from March 2014’s, my first half. And this was the time I wanted for my Disney run. I am so excited and hope that the heat and humidity in FL this weekend behaves and I can keep moving forward in time and really see the benefits I feel strong and ready for my race – three days to go! Will post a picture next week.

I love getting the updates with what everyone has been doing. I am sorry I have not updated recently. I could really use a 24 hour daylight time and then an 8 hour sleep time. Who’s with me? Thank you for everyone's inspiration.

Comment

• I have not been on here since the Marine Corps Marathon. I have been reading you post and I must say that this is the most inspirational group I belong to. Thank you all.

Marine Corps Marathon was amazing. I started up in the 4.5 hour finishers because I wanted to give myself extra time. I ran pretty much the first 20 miles only walking the water stops. My AFO was chafing around mile 7 so I had to start lubing up often. once I made it to the 14th street bridge I let up on the gas and enjoyed the last 10K. I think that I let up to much but I ran across the finish line in 5:31:50ish. Pretty much the same as my first marathon. I am ready to run another marathon and I am looking for my next big race.

MS Sucks I Don't Have To!!!!

Comment

• Congratulations Ellie, I am forever in awe of anyone who can run a marathon. Very cool.

Larry

Comment

• MSrunner,how did the Disney run go? Thanks for connecting on Garmin, I have been watching your training and I do recognize a number of the drills your trainer has you doing. You were smart to do that and apparently lucky in a way too, to find someone with personal MS experience.

I follow several people who use professional trainers including the odd professional cyclists and I can say your training charts look every bit as good as anyone's. I suspect your trainer appreciates you every bit as much as you appreciate her. I've also been following Marina, who is also doing a great job. Oddly, in spite of my (advanced) age, all of our hr ranges and cycling power are quite similar.

Larry

Comment

• So my goal race at Disney was a flop. The heat and humidity was atrocious. I flared Saturday before the race and had to up my Neurontin. I was much better by race time start but ... there was a weather event and Disney delayed the start. This caused a change to the course and we only were able to run 7 miles. On top of that, Disney is not a race to PR or set as a goal for a runner. It is a fun run. In the end I had a great girls weekend.
                      There will be a re-do of the distance in two weeks. Not sure if I will do at goal pace or just as long run. But we keep on trucking.

GOOD NEWS AGAIN: Dr. Cool, an instant cooling apparel company has asked me to be their Ambassador! I used their neck wrap and ice wrap at Disney and it is GOLD!

Cross training started back up this morning. Larry I hope this helps me with my HR. Thanks for tracking me on Garmin. Good to know I am on a similar track.

Question: Do you all use the Facebook page much? I find it easier for quick daily posts to give inspiration on activities. I use it in two other groups.
                      Have a great week everyone

Comment

• Well, I guess I'm as ready as I'm going to get for the Tour de Tucson. Whatever taper there is is likely to be in the form of shoveling snow. It also seems I'm a lot more ready than anybody I'll be riding with, but we'll see.

MSrunner, sorry Disney didn't work out so well but on the bright side there will always be another marathon to run or bike event to ride, we hope. Meanwhile, for us, it's the training that really counts. Also, I used to have a Facebook account but dropped it some time ago. If I ever start another one I'll contact you.

I'll let you all know how the Tour de Tucson goes but after that, it'll be time to start the winter program. I'm really looking forward to the winter program!

Comment

• Larry, Hope it is a good day for you and your crew...Ride Strong!!

MSRunner: Bummer about the race. Yup, we just keep on truckin' regardless, don't we? And we SHOULD figure out a time to meet on the trail! Maybe Spring.......

Ellie: Congrats on the MCM. I'm VERY impressed and not just because I don't run....

Comment

• Go, Larry, go!

Swimming is great. I've increased my pool workout after my swim and feel increased strength in my legs. Still working with a physio and now have a new trainer coming to my home.

With all these amazing runners and cyclists, I dream of us being a team triathlon!

On my way to the pool before work.

Take care all,

Teena Marie

Comment

• Just wanted to give folks an update on my training progress. I've been giving the new arm bike a serious workout, and have had the chance to get on it regularly this fall (good weather certainly has helped).

On my ride last Wednesday, I really stretched it. According to my heart rate monitor...

3 hours, 8 min total ride time

Burned 1700 calories

Cardio stat: 115 avg bpm, 148 max, In Zone 1:55

I still had more gas in the tank. Overall it was about a 15 mile ride, which is longer than I've gone on human-powered wheels in at least 8 years. The highlight: a section of our ride included Albuquerque's newest section of offroad trail that is fully ADA. They widened an existing single track mountain bike trail and packed it down with crusher fines. Amazingly fun! Haven't been "mountain biking" since being diagnosed! And this was one of my fave sections locally years ago. The twisties by the river were especially fun. Damn if I wasn't whooping and hollering the whole time.

There were a couple tricky sections with enough steepness that I needed a push once and all the strength I could must another time, but that new trail cranked my giddiness meter to full-on max.

And then at the end we were riding in a field full of migrating sandhill cranes in the late afternoon when the light was perfect. Snapped some photos.

Great to hear about all the other successes (and the bumps along the way). Always inspiring, no matter what the result. Don't forget, we have dozens of lurkers for each poster, so keeping us all updated is doing more for the MS community than you might imagine. Happy Training!
                              Dave Bexfield
                              ActiveMSers

Comment

• Big hugs, Dave. Just great. Love the photos. Visited New Mexico once and it brought back happy memories.

Teena Marie

Comment

Working...
                                X