ActiveMSers Forums  

Go Back   ActiveMSers Forums > ActiveMSers.org Forums > General

Old 01-18-2011, 09:53 AM
Junior Optimistic Misfit

Default New treadmill or old manual treadmill?

Hello everyone,
I am new to this site and need some help. am 34 years old and had MS since I was 29. I am totally disabled due to the severity of my MS but when I am up to it I need to exercise (that's what I call it). I am limited on walking but I would like to start using my wife's treadmill. first of all, it is a manual and my neurologist said that it was too difficult for me. I do have an extremely hard time in getting it started and I am not sure if this helps or hinders. Due to the winter, I can't go outisde and wonder if I should invest in a new electric treadmill or just try using this old one we have. Any suggestion?
Old 01-18-2011, 11:53 AM
MS Whisperer

Using the manual I would worry that the strain of starting it might cause some injury or strain without a warm up. You don't want to get discouraged before even beginning to walk on the machine. I don't think I've been on a manual machine in a long time, so I am not sure exactly how much effort it is to start it.

On the other hand, a new treadmill is expensive.Does your wife want a new electric one? That might help justify the purchase
Old 01-22-2011, 02:59 PM
Optimistic Misfit

I do a lot of running. I am not in a place wear my mobility is hindered, so I might not be the right person to answer. I have a good electric treadmill and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Now, that's a lot of money to spend if you're not sure if it's right for you. Is there a way that you can try one out at a gym or something to see how it goes? They definitely are worth the money, if it is the right thing for you.