X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Bitty, Oct 26, 2011-Jan 4, 2014

Fitbit "Bitty"
    October 26, 2011-January 4, 2014

Bitty, of Albuquerque, NM, was called to our Lord January 4, 2014, passing away suddenly after a walk at the city zoo. She was 2 years old. Bitty was born in San Francisco in 2011 and moved to Albuquerque October 26, 2011. Her first words included “GOOOAL” and "WOOT," and her consistent daily motivation inspired her owner Dave Bexfield of ActiveMSers.org to walk farther than he thought possible with his multiple sclerosis. The two shared 1,706,523 steps together, some 811 miles of discovery across planet earth. Their single day step record occurred this past fall, 6,100 footsteps, on two hikes in Sedona. Their partnership was threatened several times over the years, including a few close calls with washing machines and a traumatic incident involving a Lost & Found shoebox at a gym, but the pair was eventually reunited without incident. One particularly memorable moment involved a hike in the mountains of New Mexico, when Bitty was accidently left in the car. Not wanting to deprive his beloved Fitbit of the more than 5,000 steps, her owner faithfully shook Bitty as the two drove on. It was only the next day that David realized he had been driving up hill while he was doing this, as Bitty gave him a stamp for 150 flights of stairs climbed that day, besting his all-time high by 146 flights! Bitty is survived by owner Dave Bexfield and her sisters Bitty (owned by Dave's sister) and Bitty (owned by Dave's mother). She will be deeply missed. In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to the multiple sclerosis organization of your choice.
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

It is always a sad day when a mobility device suffers a youthful demise. Let me know if you need a friend, sympathetic ear or shoulder to cry on in your hour of despair.

Comment

Thanks for the support, FP. I'm taking it day-by-day. We all will struggle with challenging situations like this in our lives—we just have to push on and keep walking. That's what I'm trying to do.
      Dave Bexfield
      ActiveMSers

Comment

I feel the same way about my fitbit but I never thought to name my device. This is going to take some thinking. It always makes me laugh when my fitbit tells me it loves me or it will say "hold me". Kinda a close relationship my fitbit and me have so I will think of a name.

Comment

"Hold me" gets me every time. It sounds silly, but really, I sorta liked the little dude and all her nice, motivating comments. You strangely get attached. Glad to know I'm not alone....
          Dave Bexfield
          ActiveMSers

Comment

Not that Bitty could ever be replaced, but, uh, I am seeking a replacement. Fitbit recommendations? Force, Flex, One? I want to stay in the family as my sis and mom both have one and we want to keep the competition going.
            Dave Bexfield
            ActiveMSers

Comment

Let us know what you decide to get Dave, I'm looking to upgrade and the Fitbit sounds appealing!

...\O/...
              Liv__Well
              ..../\.......

My Two Numb Feet - An MS Diary

Comment

I have the Fitbit One and I like it a lot. I have had it over a year and only a couple of times has it not recorded my steps but then always resets itself the next day and works fine. I like the idea of the Flex because it seems more convenient being on my wrist but I would like to hear someone's review of it. I love my Fitbit and my daughter and mom both have one so we keep track of each others steps and such.

Comment

Some of the new varieties don't do altitude changes, e.g. stairs, hills. Only for flatlanders, and we New Mexicans are NOT flatlanders!

Comment

I've sent in a request to Fitbit about testing. The wristband options have appeal, but may not be ideal for me. I often will hold onto something (say the back of a couch) to do my exercises. So I would get no credit for the steps and half jump jacks if my arms don't move! Then again, when I am doing seated aerobics, my legs don't move much, and I don't get any credit from a typical pedometer. Hmmm.
                    Dave Bexfield
                    ActiveMSers

Comment

RIP Bitty

I just got a Fit Bit Flex and will be using it next week. Any helpful hints? I never thought of naming 'her'... guess I need to think about that!

Comment

Becky, I'd love to hear how you like it. And I would find it interesting if you could test it for 10 minutes using just your upper body (punching, drumming, etc.) and compare it to 10 minutes of leg work (jogging or jumping jacks; general aerobics). I wonder if it will give you a similar number of "steps." I was hoping to test this, but Fitbit said no. And then I was hoping to talk to an engineer, but no word. Grr.
                        Dave Bexfield
                        ActiveMSers

Comment

Working...
                        X