How to start again???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to start again???

New to MS. Prior to all this I was a really active person. Loved me some boot camp classes at the gym! The harder the burn the better But now I'm scared to do anything. I'm scared of getting a migraine or of feeling all numb afterwards. I'm scared of feeling dizzy. This is all so new that I don't know what to do!

How did you get yourself back in the saddle again after either your diagnosis or after a big flare? I miss working out and I know I will fell better in the long run if I get going again.

Working at it

Hi! I've had MS for about 9 years and have tried to remain active. I try to work out 3-4 times a week and as much aerobic activity as I can tolerate without overdoing it. I used to try and gauge how fatigued I was getting by my symptoms but that has been hard, since my syptoms typically intensify as soon as I get my body temperature up and I'm not going to stop after 5 minutes! Still working on finding a happy medium to what is too much or too little.
    I have also changed what I do (elliptical now) to get the best burn without hurting myself. So far so good with that!
    One other thing I do is strength training and it really does help. I feel stronger and have better balance.
    If I wake up fatigued though,, I scrape the workout that day. Not worth it for me!
    Hope this helps!

From a mom of 3 as well!

Comment

Originally posted by CougarMama View Post
      Hi! I've had MS for about 9 years and have tried to remain active. I try to work out 3-4 times a week and as much aerobic activity as I can tolerate without overdoing it. I used to try and gauge how fatigued I was getting by my symptoms but that has been hard, since my syptoms typically intensify as soon as I get my body temperature up and I'm not going to stop after 5 minutes! Still working on finding a happy medium to what is too much or too little.
      I have also changed what I do (elliptical now) to get the best burn without hurting myself. So far so good with that!
      One other thing I do is strength training and it really does help. I feel stronger and have better balance.
      If I wake up fatigued though,, I scrape the workout that day. Not worth it for me!
      Hope this helps!

From a mom of 3 as well!
      Thanks! I tried a spin class the other day. I just need to find the right mix for me!

Comment

How was the spin class? I haven't tried that yet but can see the benefit. We're you fatigued? (and how long was the class, 45 minutes?)

Lisa

Comment

How was the spin class? I haven't tried that yet but can see the benefit. We're you fatigued? (and how long was the class, 45 minutes?)

Lisa
          The spin class was an hour. Half way through I became a little dizzy. I just slowed down, drank some more water and continued on. Honestly, I felt crappy for the rest of the day, headache, sore leg. I may try Pilates. I've always like the high intensity cardio classes (kickboxing, boot camp style classes) so I'm not sure if I'll find Pilates "fun". I do enjoy yoga on occasion. So who knows?

Comment

Originally posted by momto3girls View Post
            The spin class was an hour. Half way through I became a little dizzy. I just slowed down, drank some more water and continued on. Honestly, I felt crappy for the rest of the day, headache, sore leg. I may try Pilates. I've always like the high intensity cardio classes (kickboxing, boot camp style classes) so I'm not sure if I'll find Pilates "fun". I do enjoy yoga on occasion. So who knows?
            I'm a 20+ year MS veteran and an avid cyclist. I'm probably more physically active today than at any other point in my life because I find that without the physical activity, the MS fatigue, weaknesses and general lethargy returns. I know what you mean about feeling crappy all day after exercise though. I generally take 6 or 8 weeks off around the holidays to sort of give my joints a break, and starting back up in January is always tough. But, after the first month or so, I find a morning workout usually leaves me feeling great and gives me energy for the rest of the day.

I've also been absolutely amazed at how much functionality I've been able to regain with heavy strength training. A really intense workout with heavy weights can wipe me out for a couple of days though, but I'm hoping I'll eventually get past that.

Good luck,
            Dad of 3 (who've flown the nest)

Comment

Every other day?

I was thinking if I workout every other day that might help with the fatigued feeling. Have either of you tried his? I feel lie I'm letting he MS win by only working out every other day but I DO need to function the rest of he week.

Comment

I was thinking if I workout every other day that might help with the fatigued feeling. Have either of you tried his? I feel lie I'm letting he MS win by only working out every other day but I DO need to function the rest of he week.
                Lisa,
                You are absolutely right, too much high intensity exercise will result in fatigue, and that is not MS specific. It is a physiological fact that the body only gets stronger during rest. Try to get adequate sleep. If you’re feeling tired from a previous workout, reduce the duration and/or intensity of your present workout, if you’re totally exhausted, blow it off altogether. If you find yourself getting sick, you might be working too hard, not getting enough rest, or not eating right.

I try to do something most days each week but I change it up a lot. Here’s what my schedule looks like right now:

Monday: 20 min of light elliptical followed by intensive strength training.
                Tuesday: 1 to 1.5 hrs. of intensive cycling (intervals).
                Wednesday: Restorative Yoga, just gentle stretching, maybe some elliptical if I’m really feeling good.
                Thursday: 1 hr. of low intensity cycling and light strength training, if I’m up to it.
                Friday: Restorative Yoga and only that, I’m a fanatic about this day.
                Saturday: at least 2 hrs. of intensive cycling, hill climbing or something equally demanding.
                Sunday: 1 to 1.5 hrs. low intensity cycling and if I’m just not up to it, after 20 minutes, I blow it off.

This schedule represents the beginning of training of what will be a very difficult bike event for me this summer. It’s probably too much for someone who is just getting back into exercise but you might keep the Yoga, lighten up on the strength training and reduce the duration and intensity of the cardio workouts and see if you start getting more energy after a month or two. And, always listen to your body.

Comment

Thanks for posting your current workout routine, amfadventures. I think I need to add in some variety to my workout to help with the fatigue. I was thinking of splitting up my weight training and cardio days and adding in the yoga. We'll see how it goes!
                  I'm starting Tysabri on the 13th, which my doctor thinks might help with the fatigue. I certainly hope so.
                  Thanks again for your response and I'm happy to find this site. The MSer's that I know don't workout and this is the first place where I've really seen exercise discussed.

Comment

Loving this thread...

I agree with many of the comments made so far i.e. exercise helps manage fatigue and general MS yukiness..but find your balance and if one day you are not up to it don't push it.

What works really well for me is a combination of yoga and stationery bike. Yoga has really helped with balance - and core strength.

I also play indoor soccer once a week in a non-competitive league for over 35 types. On good days I play all out - on not so good days, I take it a lot easier and no one seems to mind or care. My skills are not what they used to be due to numbness in the feet...fine ball control is the challenge. But I figure.....if I don't play at all that will only get worse!

I was recently asked by an MS Foundation to write a blog for their site - and focused on a topic which may be helpful in this area.

http://www.erasems.org/news/2012/jan...g-gary-pinder/

Comment

Thanks!

Hi garyp! Thanks for the fabulous article. Truly inspiring!

Comment

My best advice: start slow. A one-hour spin class? Um, that's not slow, ha. Take your time and build up. You can definitely get back into the swing of things, but do it smartly. You'll notice a big difference over time. It may be a bit frustrating at first, but that'll go away as you see gains....
                        Dave Bexfield
                        ActiveMSers

Comment

This forum is fantastic! Thank you all so much for the advice. I am determined to stay fit and active. I guess I am still stuck in the worst case scenario mode. Time to STOP that and get back to living!! Thank you all so much!
                          Last edited by momto3girls; 03-04-2012, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Hey Momto3girls!

I am having the same issue as you. Always super active and healthy and then suddenly can hardly do anything since I stopped everything after being diagnosed. After some time I got back to taking longer walks, then doing short periods of cardio at the gym followed by some yoga. And I do swimming 1-2 times a week (it feels sooooo good during and after, and I don't get the symptoms from being too hot). Biking is GREAT! And I tried pilates and really enjoy it- it's not that boring, really! haha Just keep switching up activities and exercises so you don't get bored with doing the same thing every week (which I find is demotivating). You probably already have these, but fitness clothes that are meant to breathe really well work wonders and are worth the money. And if you feel crappy one day, skip the cardio and try some thinking games instead. I hope this helps a little! I'm sure you'll get back at it in no time ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by garyp View Post
                              I agree with many of the comments made so far i.e. exercise helps manage fatigue and general MS yukiness..but find your balance and if one day you are not up to it don't push it.

What works really well for me is a combination of yoga and stationery bike. Yoga has really helped with balance - and core strength.

I also play indoor soccer once a week in a non-competitive league for over 35 types. On good days I play all out - on not so good days, I take it a lot easier and no one seems to mind or care. My skills are not what they used to be due to numbness in the feet...fine ball control is the challenge. But I figure.....if I don't play at all that will only get worse!

I was recently asked by an MS Foundation to write a blog for their site - and focused on a topic which may be helpful in this area.

http://www.erasems.org/news/2012/jan...g-gary-pinder/
                              Thank you for sharing your blog! Forcing function is a perfect way to start out this next chapter in my life. I will not give in to the uncertainty.

Comment

Working...
                              X