Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

STUDY: Cardiopulmonary fitness is related to disease severity in multiple sclerosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STUDY: Cardiopulmonary fitness is related to disease severity in multiple sclerosis

On the surface this may appear as a "no duh" result. Obviously, the less disabled you are, the easier is it to exercise. But I wonder if there is more to this. Even though I wouldn't have qualified for this study (too disabled with an EDSS of 6), my VO2Max would almost certainly be in the upper limits of the patients tested. How does that all fit in? - D

Cardiopulmonary fitness is related to disease severity in multiple sclerosis

Martin Heine⇑ Brain Center Rudolf Magnus and Center of Excellence for Rehabilitation Medicine, University Medical Center Utrecht and Rehabilitation Center De Hoogstraat, Utrecht, The Netherlands

Abstract

Background: In persons with MS (pwMS), a lower cardiopulmonary fitness has been associated with a higher risk for secondary disorders, decreased functional capacity, symptom worsening and reduced health-related quality of life.

Objective: To investigate the association between disease severity and cardiopulmonary fitness.

Methods: Data from cardiopulmonary exercise tests, previously conducted in three different countries, were pooled. The association between disease severity (Expanded Disability Status Scale (EDSS)) and cardiopulmonary fitness (peak oxygen uptake (VO2peak)) was adjusted for age, sex and the country of origin.

Results: The combined sample comprised 116 ambulant pwMS having a mean (± SD) EDSS score of 2.7 ± 1.3. There was a significant correlation (r = -0.418, p < .01) between VO2peak and EDSS. A multiple regression model (R2 = 0.520, p < .01) was constructed to describe VO2peak (mL∙kg−1∙min−1); VO2peak = 36.622 − 5.433 (Sex (1=men)) – 0.124 (Age) − 2.082 (EDSS) + 2.737 (Belgium) + 8.674 (Denmark).

Conclusion: There was a significant association between disease severity and cardiopulmonary fitness. The close relation between cardiopulmonary fitness and chronic conditions associated with physical inactivity, suggest a progressive increase in risk of secondary health conditions in pwMS.
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers
Working...
X