No announcement yet.

Relapsing vs. Progressing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do have to give welcomes to ladyjane, MindyWatt, KarenMac, and pvp27. Fantastic to see you all here. Keep us posted on your successes!
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Comment

I guess I am one of the "lucky" ones as I have PRMS. Best of both worlds. I too was given the "conserve energy" advice, and ignored it. When I was first diagnosed I couldn't sit up on my own, relied on a powerchair and needed in home nursing help. I had a spinal fusion/rodding procedure done in 2012 so that I could continue to use a wheelchair, as sitting, even with support, was becoming impossible. Once I gained some core muscle stability back I was able to work on standing with kafo's and a walker, and then shuffling about. Long story short I think it was staying active (I ride horses, which I feel is the best possible exercise for me personally) that really helped me in the end. I use only afo's now, and crutches around my house when I don't have them on. Most people do not know that there is anything wrong with me unless I tell them or they see the braces.

Long story short, my advice to you would be to find an activity that you enjoy and do it as much as possible. Swimming,yoga, etc., are all good options. I agree with others that you may benefit from some pt with someone with MS experience. Also don't underestimate the power of staying mentally active. Best of luck.

Comment

Working...
      X