G'morning, and Advice Please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G'morning, and Advice Please!

I'm looking for a cooling vest. I do not have ms, I have an intense dislike of hot and humid weather. I live in New York City, and if you've never spent a summer here, then you really can't understand how oppressive summer weather can be here. There are days when you could walk outside, take a deep breath, and risk drowning.

And, as I am 62, I have reached or am rapidly approaching the age where heat is not merely discomforting, but potentially lethal even in the absence of any underlying physical or medical conditions. Consider, for example, the heatwave in France a few years back which caused 10,000-15,000 deaths.

I read the Cooling Vest Guide, from which I've determined that the best type vest for me would be the phase change type - it seems to be the easiest to use, and appears to be as long-lasting as I would need. (Three hours is equal to the two and a half hours which, at the very most, I would need, plus a good safety margin to go along with.) This was not difficult to determine.

But I've also looked at the cooling vest reviews, and there, matters are no so clear.

The problem is pretty simple: which of the phase change vests will keep me coolest, which will lower my core temperature the most? (Concealability is 100% irrelevant.)

I'm not sure the "Cold Sensitivity" rating tells me what I'd like to know; especially since, as far as phase change vests are concerned, frost bite or frost nip are not really problems.

Thanks for your help!

For your situation, maybe one of the Glacier Tek vests. Their Flex vest would get my nod, as it almost looks like a normal vest when you wear it around. It's also comfortable to wear when seated. My 2 cents.
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Comment

Thank you for your reply!

The Glacier Tek vests seem to have a cooling duration of about 2 1/2 hours. That's exactly what I would need - and that's a problem as there's no extra time / cooling duration to serve as a safety margin.

I'm considering it but at this point I am actually leaning to a Polar Kool Max vest, which has a cooling duration, of a single charge, of three to four hours.

If Polar has a vest that can be loaded with either Kool Max or Cool58 cooling packs then that's really useful. (I emailed them about this and hopefully will receive a prompt reply.)

We'll see!

Thanks again for your reply!

Comment

Working...
      X