Over the counter Lipoic acid slows brain atrophy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over the counter Lipoic acid slows brain atrophy

"Researchers from Oregon Health & Science University School of Medicine in Portland in the US carried out a randomized, double-blind study on 51 adults aged 40 to 70 years who all have SPMS.
    A total of 27 participants were randomly assigned to receive 1,200 milligrams of lipoic acid every day for to years, while the remaining 24 were given a placebo.
    Whole brain atrophy – which refers to the reduction in total brain volume due to the loss of neurons, considered a marker of MS progression – was assessed at the start of the study, a year in, and at the end using MRI scans.
    Lipoic acid outperformed MS drug
    The research, published in the journal Neuroimmunology & Neuroinflammation, noted that the reduction of brain atrophy by 68 percent with lipoic acid was greater than the reported impact of the drug ocrelizumab."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...sclerosis.html (july 6,2017)

Has anyone tried it?

Yep, I've been on it for nearly 3 months. Hard to tell changes, as I'm on HD Biotin as well, but in general I seem to be continuing to decline physically, but my mind is as sharp as ever, except when I am very fatigued.

I'm SPMS, on Aubagio, statins, HDBiotin, CoQ10, Lipoic Acid

Comment

I have been taking ALA for several years now and I very much hope this is true!

I have been taking ALA in combo with Acetyl-L-carnitine for fatigue and memory/brain health. It was one those "possibly helpful" things that really had no side effects or negatives for me.

Comment

Working...
      X